M10-P Shutter Sound Comparison

elmars

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was a Betatester of the M10-P. I wrote a little review fin the German forum:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/287695-m10-p-the-sound-of-silence/?p=3576276

Sorry, but my English is not good enough to translate it. Because of that I restrict myself here to the little film of my shutter noise comparison between the M10 and the M10-P.

The pictures of a sound analysis of our forum-friends Mathias („schattenundlicht“) and Uli („UliWer“) You can find here:

• Like 13

I just get the distinct feeling that when designing and testing these cameras Leica makes no effort whatsoever to put these tools in the hands of actual working photographers who want to rely on them for earning a living in the areas in which this type of camera has been known to excel.

If it was this easy to make the shutter more quiet on an interim revision, why in the hell could they not get it right in the first place?

• Like 9

After reading on one site that the new shutter is as quiet as the one in the Q, and then hearing the comparison here, I have to laugh. Yes, it's a bit quieter than the M10 shutter, but I see no reason to upgrade.

Please take a look at elmar‘s thread in the German subforum where he shows the shutter sound recordings that I performed during beta testing (you will not need any German language skills as the graphs are self-explicatory):

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/287695-m10-p-the-sound-of-silence/?p=3576276

You will find that the M10-P definitely is A LOT quieter than the M10. In real life, I could not think of any shooting situation where the M10-P could be the slightest bit intrusive, whereas for concerts with sound recordings, comemorative events etc., the M10 could be audible. This is not only due to absolute sound pressure levels but also to different spectral distribution and decay characteristics.

• Like 1

Please take a look at elmar‘s thread in the German subforum where he shows the shutter sound recordings that I performed during beta testing (you will not need any German language skills as the graphs are self-explicatory):

You will find that the M10-P definitely is A LOT quieter than the M10. In real life, I could not think of any shooting situation where the M10-P could be the slightest bit intrusive, whereas for concerts with sound recordings, comemorative events etc., the M10 could be audible. This is not only due to absolute sound pressure levels but also to different spectral distribution and decay characteristics.

I can confirm this.

Edited by elmars
  • Like 1

I don't deny that there is a noticeable difference and I suppose a final determination needs to be done by handling and shooting both cameras, but I am not convinced that the difference is worth selling the M10 and upgrading to the M10-P.

At least from the comparison videos, saying that the new shutter is as quiet as the Q shutter is nonsense, and I DID see this claim made someplace.

• Like 2

Although imho the most important improvement, the M10-P’s silenced shutter will not be compelling enough for me to discard my M10.

If I was upgrading from another model, however, I would definitely go for the M10-P instead of the standard M10 (this after handling them side by side for some time). The shutter, in real life sounds, for lack of better words, classy or elegant and fits the rest of the camera. It will not change your pictures but it might make every shutter actuation ~9.48% more joyous (that‘s how they derived their pricing ;) )

• Like 7

The new model has a super-discrete sound which is very appealing - the other though that comes to mind is the extent to which vibration might have been reduced as well, as a side effect of reducing the noise, as that is always helpful in marginal situations and a further attractive, if possibly unplanned, feature

Edited by robert_parker
  • Like 1

M10-P for street photography is the suggestion , but what street is so quiet you can hear any M shutter over the usual traffic noise? I’m happy with the M10 shutter sound which seems to be similar in volume to the MP film if I remember.

1/8000 would be good for f2 at iso 100 on bright days but we don’t get that.

I’d like to have the iso setting shown in the rangefinder viewfinder. I don’t have the lcd display on at all, to save battery , which makes it feel more like an M10-D might be. I mostly review the images when I get back to my computer as the lcd display outside is only used as a rough guide.

The SL EVF but still with the RF patch for fast focusing as a hybrid option built in to the existing viewfinder would be worth it. They could then bin the 3” lcd display all together. Or is that the M11 spec?

Hi

I bought the M10 last October and think that camera is wonderful and the best Leica ever. I think there are areas that could be improved such as a flash socket like M4, and a way to trigger a flash with TTL with the EVF fitted ....important for macro photographyI guess that could be done using the WiFi already in the camera via an iPhone or by building an accessory that provides two hot shoes from the one on the camera (one for flash one for EVF. These would addd real benefit to the M10 as a true system camera. It would be nice to have the rear screen covered in the heavy duty  glass as used on the M P 240......but I am not sure that the extra cost would warrant an upgrade. 

I believe that the M10P will benefit by having a level in the camera for super wide angle lenses but I am not sure it is a really strong need and I use 15mm, 21mm  and 28mm lenses without too much problem. The rest of the stuff for the extra 500€uros is a joke in my view. They remove the red dot, which I like and they tell us the shutter is making so little noise but the tests posted here suggest that the difference is marginal. I think this M10P is going to be a dog. 

Elsewhere I have seen that the M10 is so good that it is hard to see how Leica can add meaningful upgrades and I tend to agree.  I hear the rumour that the next step may be to add motors to the lenses for autofocus and aperture and if that can be done without increasing lens size and allowing backward compatibility of existing M lenses then great  ...otherwise what exactly are meaningful upgrades to M10...the ISO range is good if not excellent, rangefinder focussing is excellent, the shutter speeds are superb, continuous mode shooting is perfect and with the recent firmware upgrade a slow mode is available, memory size is correct as is battery size. The shutter noise beats a Nikon or Canon. I suppose some wedding photographers have come to like the Sony capability to focus eyeballs but I am not sure that is vital if you take several shots with even a Noctilux wide-open and use Lightroom to select the good ones!. 

I think the M10P is not going set the world on fire and I hope that does not mean that Leica will revert to issuing different leathers, and titanium finishes etc as Hermes did when they owned the company.

I’ll tell ya, the shutter sound on the M262 sounds ALOT like the M10-P.

I own both an M262 and MP240. The M262 is a newer model and the shutter sound is definitely updated/quieter than the MP240. It would be interesting to hear the difference between the M262 and M10-P shutter sounds. I think anyone not familiar with, or not having used an M262 would be surprised.

Edited by Gregm61