Leica M10-P with level gauge, touchscreen and a much quieter shutter

Leon_B.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Neither, it was clearly marked in the job list on the estimate. What I never understood was that at the time I had heard of them doing the exact opposite, replacing black with red, for exactly the reason you stated above. We'll never know.

And that tells me it was mixed up, as you did not advise them at time of estimate, nor apparently thereafter.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

It's not the horizontal that matters so much but tilting the camera back or forth. The value of the feature in the Q and CL is in those short crossbars which let you correct camera angle to avoid converging lines on architectural photographs.

You gotta be kidding.

Neither, it was clearly marked in the job list on the estimate. What I never understood was that at the time I had heard of them doing the exact opposite, replacing black with red, for exactly the reason you stated above. We'll never know.

Tell us something about QC or lack of.

I would speculate that black dot on your camera was probably mistakenly attached and it probably came from other camera that was serviced prior to yours. If red is official colour no black dot cameras should leave the workshop. Recall I while back reading here of somebody complaining how camera with 3rd party black dot was services and returned with the red one.

Would a red dot from say, Leica M8 fit over the M10-P screw?

Actually it is not the vertical rangefinder adjustment screw proper, but just a cover screw. The rangefinder adjustment screw is beneath that cover and is much smaller. It has been that way from the beginning (M3). However, the early M‘s cover screws were tiny in comparison to the newer models.

The cover screw is so peculiarly oversized for the sake of streamlined manufacturing: It has to be the same size as the red dot because it has to cover the same cutout/recess in the top plate. It would most probably not be commercially viable to use a dedicated casting mould for the „P“ version (i.e. a different top plate).

I also find the esthetics of this cover screw rather misguided. At least, the slit orientation of the screw should be straight horizontal in all cameras, which could be achieved by narrow tolerances on screw and thread.

But the third parties happily await our orders for black dots anyway ;)

It would but the screw is convex and it wouldn’t sit down on the body.

PS:

You could remove the screw and epoxy up the hole and then apply the red dot.

It would make for some exciting conversation in Wetzlar if the had to repair the camera. :)

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there,

no reviewer seem to mention the most important feature which puts the M10-P in front of all M glory. Or did I just miss it?

It has a body color matching hot shoe cover made out of METAL! Right! No more black plastic even on the silver M. Finally!

Greetings

Erik

Which means you can probably order it as a replacement part for your M10. ;-)

Hi there,

no reviewer seem to mention the most important feature which puts the M10-P in front of all M glory. Or did I just miss it?

It has a body color matching hot shoe cover made out of METAL! Right! No more black plastic even on the silver M. Finally!

Greetings

Erik

Tell us something about QC or lack of.

I'm not sure what it's telling you. It clearly states "additional, recommended materials - Conversions to black dot" on the estimate when I had the sensor replaced (this was in 2010 and nothing to do with corrosion btw). 

I would speculate that black dot on your camera was probably mistakenly attached and it probably came from other camera that was serviced prior to yours. If red is official colour no black dot cameras should leave the workshop. 

No need to speculate. It's as clear as day. Along with the sensor replacement and CLA, they recommended the "conversion to black dot" on the estimate, I accepted the estimate, they did the job. End of story.

And the level gauge should it not show VERTICAL as well? Often with wide angles the vertical information is more important.

I upgraded from the M240 to the MP10-P last week. As far as I can tell, the level gauge works the same way. Horizontally and vertically.

• Like 1

No need to speculate. It's as clear as day. Along with the sensor replacement and CLA, they recommended the "conversion to black dot" on the estimate, I accepted the estimate, they did the job. End of story.

Not clear at all since you neglected to question the black dot, which was not the original configuration. This was likely a mixup with another customer’s camera. You’re right that we’ll never know, but that’s because you didn’t ask about the obvious change.

Jeff

And additional Question: is there a thread in the release button to attach the cable release? Or is there just the read button without thread as is looks on photographs?

The M10-P has the same thread for cable release as the M 10.

(Please excuse the quoting of LeicaFFM; this was an error, I can't edit).

Edited by UliWer
  • Like 1

Very good.

And additional Question: is there a thread in the release button to attach the cable release? Or is there just the read button without thread as is looks on photographs?

I am currently not at home, but I will check it for you tonight. Honestly, I haven‘t looked that closely at the release button yet, as I don’t use the cable release very often.

Edit: Uliwer was quicker.

Edited by LeicaFFM
  • Like 1

I noticed B&H in New York City has discounted the Leica M-P (Typ 240) from 7495 USD to 5995 USD

Is this usually what happens to "P" Professional editions in terms of monetary value when a new one is introduced?

I have not kept track of the P at all, but the M10-P with the quiet shutter and touch screen caught my attention.

Thanks

The digital spirit level on the M10-P indeed DOES show both horizontal (tilt) and vertical (pitch) level. It’s fairly sensitive; my guess is that a frame captured when the tilt level shows green (no tilt) will need <= 0.3 deg rotation correction in photoshop to level the left and right edges of the image.

• Like 1