Leica M10-P with level gauge, touchscreen and a much quieter shutter

Leon_B.

Oh no: not him again! Twenty+ minutes to tell us (a) touch screen ( B) horizontal level indicator © more quiet shutter. :lol:

I lost the will to live before getting halfway through. Boring... patronising... and could be cut in half by taking out the ridiculous dramatic pauses.

• Like 5

Interesting discussion and thoughtful replies.  I have been shooting Leica digital cameras since the M8 and love the M10.  However, I have also been using Sonys, Fujis, Nikons, Canons, etc. alongside the Leica and sometimes wish Leica incorporated some other advanced technologies in the M series.  But the replies above restate a point that may seem obvious but perhaps bears repeating - the M series is not meant to be everything to everyone and should be taken on its own terms.  

I have gone back and forth over the years about whether the M system works for me since I am not in love with rangefinder focusing, at least a lot of the time.  I owned the SL last year but the size and weight of the AF lenses finally convinced me to sell it.  I own the Q and love it - it's probably my favorite camera ever in terms of its design and ergonomics.  You get full frame, a great fast Leica lens in a small package, fast AF and a near-silent shutter.  If it came in different focal lengths I would buy them all and sell my M10 and lenses. I would love AF in the M10 but it's not going to happen and I have to accept it as long as I want and enjoy the other benefits of the M I can't get anywhere else - tiny, stellar, fast and beautifully made lenses with a small full frame body that's simple to use.  The files may not be as high resolution or have as much dynamic range as other cameras I have used, but that's a trade off I am making because I enjoy using the camera and love the results I get anyway (if it's good enough for some of the best photographers in the history of photography, it's good enough for me).

That being said, I am looking forward to the Fuji medium format rangefinder-style camera they are going to announce soon.  I absolutely loved the files from the GFX-50S and miss them, and appreciated the manual dials on the camera and aperture ring on the lenses.  If I can afford it, I will sell off some stuff and use both systems.  While we can't have everything in one system (yet), we are spoiled for choice, that's for sure.

I'm going to try to get out this afternoon and enjoy the heck out of my M10, loud shutter and all ;)....

Best,

Peter

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All the blogs and reviews! Essentially its missing a red dot and makes a slightly quieter noise when you press the shutter.

Can we now get back to discussing the M11?

Am I the only person that thinks the white Leica script on the top is of equal importance to the missing dot? For a machine that inspires me to pick it up and use for pleasure, it does make a difference.

And as a recent CL user, the touchscreen was an unexpected game-changer for me (I didn’t think I cared, but the experience taught me otherwise)

• Like 1

And as a recent CL user, the touchscreen was an unexpected game-changer for me (I didn’t think I cared, but the experience taught me otherwise)

But why did they keep the buttons? 

I'm not that keen on touchscreens but if that's the way to go, then why not get rid of all the redundant buttons down the side of the screen, which could then be larger!

Edited by ianman
  • Like 1

Not entirely true.

Every time I visit Wetzlar and look through those soundproof windows at the production facility, I cannot help wondering how, regardles of time of day, or day of week, the vast majority of the workplaces looks deserted all the time.

Even if they only placed the red dots onto the Camera there, however, and everything else was some kind of Truman Show, I would still love to use these cameras and lenses for my photography ;)

Edited by schattenundlicht
  • Like 1

For those who are a bit antsy about the large screw on the front instead of the red dot.........

I saw it in the flesh at Leica Mayfair this morning, and I was surprised how discrete it was: although larger than on the M240P, it is a flush fit with the surrounding body and has a similar finish; it is quite 'receding', even if the slot angle is variable (higher second  hand prices for the rare 12 o'clock screw version anyone?). I thought it was less noticeable than on the M240P.

• Like 1

The touch screen is not as responsive if it gets wet. The buttons continue to work perfectly. I like having both options.

Simple but not too simple.

But why did they keep the buttons?

I'm not that keen on touchscreens but if that's the way to go, then why not get rid of all the redundant buttons down the side of the screen, which could then be larger!

Having just retired from the world's largest food company (arguably just as conservative as Leica), I am acutely aware of the need for a company to continually provide the consumer with innovation.  Leica is doing just this, while continuing to remain true to their base consumer.  I entered the world of Leica via their Type 109 (D Lux), Q, and finally M10.  I did so in order to keep in touch with the most basic aspects of photography, and M10 does just that, with a bit of a nod to recent technology.  That said, I still use my Pentax K1 and a significant array of Pentax glass because it works for me.  M10P does offer some more dodads, and that's ok, because people who want or need dodads have a place to go.  Leica is in business to stay in business, and I don't see a screw on the front or a splashy touch screen as a departure from their devotion to the most basic aspects of photography.  I love the shutter sound from my M10 - just ask my jealous (I presume) Nikon friends.  Life is good. :p 

• Like 2

If I could decide how the M10.2 would look like:

• Integration of the M10P shutter
  • No screen at all
  • separate EVF030 with the SL resolution

That would be my dream Leica. Looks like an analog Leica and if I need to review pictures in the camera, change Menue settings (which is very seldem for me) or if I have lenses that would need a separate finder I would use the EVF030.

Greetings

Wolfram

Indeed, more like "the M10 is assembled in Germany" - a lot of parts are made by machines in other countries first.

There is an interesting article about the Leica factory in Portugal where they produce both the SL and the M10:

http://www.fdtimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/80FDTimes-LEICA-PortugalFactoryTour.pdf

My old Leica R3 proudly displays MADE IN PORTUGAL but at some point, this fact was "hidden", and all cameras are branded as Made in GERMANY" even if they are or not. I guess it adds more to the brand imagery.

• Like 4

There is an interesting article about the Leica factory in Portugal where they produce both the SL and the M10:

http://www.fdtimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/80FDTimes-LEICA-PortugalFactoryTour.pdf

[...]

Thanks for linking this VERY interesting read. One wonders, what work, besides marketing and finance, is truly still being done in Wetzlar...

• Like 1