Leica M10-P with level gauge, touchscreen and a much quieter shutter

Leon_B.

I don’t think digital cameras will ever be “grail cameras” as the cycle to digital obsolescence is so short. But an M10 should be good for 5 to years IMHO. So a depreciation of 1000 to 500 GBP is not too bad. Or there is always an M3, M6.

If Jono can why can't I :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And I also agree with him re the M10-P - while I think it makes sense for Leica to offer the M-P to those who want it, I'm more than happy with my current set up.  I've never had clients complain about shutter noise (they usually congratulate me on how quiet the M is compared to DSLRs) and neither the touch screen nor the level offer me enough to be tempting...

• Like 3

Agree wholly with Chris. If anything, not having a touch screen is a plus. Is the screw ever for sale from anywhere? I'd love to just pop off the leica dot on mine and replace it with a blank metal object. 

Also, the spirit level is purely software, right? The M240 had one... 

Edited by sdw
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am hoping for a D-Lux II. The Panasonic LX100 II just got leaked. The original D-Lux is now 4 years old, so time for an upgrade. Just in time for my upcoming Christmas holiday! 

That could fit easy into my budget, the M10-P is really tempting but that's a bit out of the budget, although... .

Best

At the time of its release, the unusual camera angles used in Carol Reed's film The Third Man were criticised. American director William Wyler sent Reed a spirit level, with a note saying, "Carol, next time you make a picture, just put it on top of the camera, will you?"

Edited by Tragg
  • Like 1

Same wi

I think that all manufacturers are moving away from announcing at Photokina - easy to get lost in the rush, and new announcements get covered properly on the internet these days.

So don't hold your breath!

Same with the Watch exhibition in Basel. It’s becoming less and less interesting to show up for manufacturers for the high exhibition prices. Edited by Gobert
  • Like 1

If that's all they could come up with to improve upon the M10 ... it really says a lot for the M10 in the first place.

I've absolutely no need or have any desire to consider an upgrade ... roll on the release of a Monochrome M10 or a M10-MD for the purists.

Fact is, I'll quite happily enjoy the excellence within the M10 for years to come, the manic pricing has the benefit of keeping GAS well in check and under control.

The M10 has been superb out of the box!.  

• Like 3

It's the rangefinder adjustment screw isn't it? It there on all Ms, just covered by the red dot logo on some.

Actually it is not the vertical rangefinder adjustment screw proper, but just a cover screw. The rangefinder adjustment screw is beneath that cover and is much smaller. It has been that way from the beginning (M3). However, the early M‘s cover screws were tiny in comparison to the newer models.

The cover screw is so peculiarly oversized for the sake of streamlined manufacturing: It has to be the same size as the red dot because it has to cover the same cutout/recess in the top plate. It would most probably not be commercially viable to use a dedicated casting mould for the „P“ version (i.e. a different top plate).

I also find the esthetics of this cover screw rather misguided. At least, the slit orientation of the screw should be straight horizontal in all cameras, which could be achieved by narrow tolerances on screw and thread.

But the third parties happily await our orders for black dots anyway ;)

• Like 4

Hmm, the quieter shutter is most appealing to me.  I hardly ever use the screen, so the level and the touch screen would rarely be used.

So, a small but nice update.   Not worth trading my M10 for though. 

Next, I'd like to see a better electronic viewfinder.

I also find the esthetics of this cover screw rather misguided. At least, the slit orientation of the screw should be straight horizontal in all cameras, which could be achieved by narrow tolerances on screw and thread.

The screw on my M-P240 is exactly vertical which I quite like.  

Menh! I'll save my shekels for an M10M (or some other Monochom) if I want a third camera.

Nothing here for me, really. If the quieter shutter becomes standard that will be nice (good on Leica for trying) when I upgrade in 2025, but my M10s' shutters are already such a huge leap over the CCD cameras that I'm already happy. Black and silver tape cover the red dots just fine (Grunge is in, you know).

• Like 5

While these 'improvements' will doubtless please some they mean little to me. Quieter shutter? No thanks. It sounds unattractively muffled and the M-10's shutter is already quiet enough. Touchscreen? I rarely use the screen anyway. The beauty of the M-10 is that, like a film camera most of the adjustments can be made manually. Level gauge? I don't need it. I can see when the camera is level by looking through the viewfinder and besides, I usually don't want it to be level preferring to compose my pictures by eye. 

• Like 4