Leica M10-P with level gauge, touchscreen and a much quieter shutter

Leon_B.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

+1

I still have the very first screen protector on my M9. Needless to say, I have one on my M10, as I do on all my digital cameras. I even use the clumsy hard plastic screen protector on my Nikon DSLRs ;) . I am not into rearscreen pixel peeping in the field, thus the miniscule ‚image detoriation‘ induced by the protector is a non-issue for me. In consequence, the same goes for the gorilla vs. saphire debate for me. I propably would use a protector on a saphire screen, too :)

+1

AN open jacket.

See how easy it is? Neither genius nor common sense required.

Jeff

My leather jacket has exposed zippers if it’s closed or open. So does the jacket pockets. I’m not gonna let a camera dictate the clothes I wear. Then again I didn’t care if I got small scratches on the screen of my M240. Or if I scratch my black paint MP, which scratches from just fingernails even.

• 2 weeks later...

I put a new screen protector on annually, they just get too trashed by all kinds of things, I guess that is why I use them.

My friend just got his Z7 today, my Z6 order is still a couple months out. The mechanical shutter on the Z7 is quieter than any M camera I own, especially the M10.

I’ll be upgrading my M10 to the new shutter as soon as they start the program.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 4peterse said:

The manual doesn’t seem to mention the level gauge (or at least I can’t find it). Can someone explain how this works?

When in live view press the centre button of the directional pad on the right of the LCD Panel.

A vertical line will appear in the middle of the screen, takes about a third of the screen with two grey bars on either side. 

II--------II 

The line in the centre is for the vertical orientation of the body left to right and the bars on the side have to little bars in them too and they are for the levelling of the camera from to back. 

When all is green - you are perfectly level. 

Hope this helps.

For what its worth - I just looked at the manual for the first time and - as you stated, it's not in it.

For the level gauge to work you first have to turn it "on" in the capture assistant menu.

You are right. The wake up time is the same. And it is too long. Leica is aware of this but it cannot be changed for the M10. It would be a reason to buy a new M.

I find this so absolutely inexcusible. What is Leica playing at with their silly and unnecessary diversions into boutique garbage when they can't even summon the engineering to get this right. There is absolutely no excuse for their cameras not to start up instantly. This is something that everybody wants and many demand. I find it very troubling that the leica community simply passively puts up with this rather than making it clear to Leica that all their available investment should be put into this central feature of a camera that claims to carry the digital street heritage. My ten year old Canon 5D2 starts up instantly! That's ten year old technology. They should have got this right years ago - why let them off the hook? - it needs to be the first criticism in every  overview or review.

Edited by wolfloid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, wolfloid said:

I find this so absolutely inexcusable. What is Leica playing at with their silly and unnecessary diversions into boutique garbage when they can't even summon the engineering to get this right. There is absolutely no excuse for their cameras not to start up instantly. This is something that everybody wants and many demand. I find it very troubling that the leica community simply passively puts up with this rather than making it clear to Leica that all their available investment should be put into this central feature of a camera that claims to carry the digital street heritage. My ten year old Canon 5D2 starts up instantly! That's ten year old technology. They should have got this right years ago - why let them off the hook? - it needs to be the first criticism in every  overview or review.

Agreed 100%. In the beginning Leica was the camera of the professional. The Japanese could only copy it. Now, not too many working professionals put their trust in Leica. I'd say that even the M10 and M10-P are boutiquey crap. Satisfied to live on its heritage, Leica has abandoned the digital M as a professional working camera to the Japanese. I'd love to see Leica put their expertise into making their digital rangefinders into acceptable alternatives for pros. If not, then all we can expect is more of the same every, what, five years or so with multiple useless iterations in between. Living in the past.

1 hour ago, Talleyrand said:

Agreed 100%. In the beginning Leica was the camera of the professional. The Japanese could only copy it. Now, not too many working professionals put their trust in Leica. I'd say that even the M10 and M10-P are boutiquey crap. Satisfied to live on its heritage, Leica has abandoned the digital M as a professional working camera to the Japanese. I'd love to see Leica put their expertise into making their digital rangefinders into acceptable alternatives for pros. If not, then all we can expect is more of the same every, what, five years or so with multiple useless iterations in between. Living in the past.

Welcome to the Forum. So we can better understand where you are coming from, can you share which Leica cameras you use. Your veiw that the M10 and M10-P are "boutiquey crap" is not a description I would recognise. I use and absolutely love my M10 (and M9 etc.)