Leica M10-P with level gauge, touchscreen and a much quieter shutter

Leon_B.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Only a month before photokina 2018 the german camera manufacturer introduced the new LEICA M10-P with some great new features. The new camera is available as of now for US $7,995 in black and silver chrome.

The main changes compared to the Leica M10 are:

• The touch screen
  • The high demanded level gauge
  • A distinctly quieter shutter

» Information and official press release
» Leica M10-P Review by Jonathan Slack 

• Like 2

The high demanded level gauge is something I think could and should be integrated to the standard M10 via firmware update.

I realize that you think that ... but whether it actually can be due to hardware limitations, or not, only the folks at Leica engineering can know for certain. 

• Like 1

That it is in the M10-P suggests that Leica realised their mistake dropping it from the M10.  

That it is still not available in the M10 suggests that it isn't simply an firmware upgrade as many had hoped.

Edited by MarkP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm not tempted to sell my M10 for a loss and upgrade (although if I were buying new I would likely go for the M10-P).  The quieter shutter would be nice, but in the two recordings I heard of it, it sounds more like a muffled M10 than something quieter like the Q, so it wasn't as "night and day" as I expected.  The touch screen and level are a bit "meh" for my style of shooting, and I like how the M10 looks better than the M10-P (maybe I am in the minority here).  JMHO.

• Like 1

The high demanded level gauge is something I think could and should be integrated to the standard M10 via firmware update.

I realize that you think that ... but whether it actually can be due to hardware limitations, or not, only the folks at Leica engineering can know for certain. 

HI There

It CANNOT be done in firmware - the necessary chip is not in the M10 and therefore it cannot be implemented! NB the M10 and M10-P have the SAME firmware. 

• Like 9

I'm not tempted to sell my M10 for a loss and upgrade (although if I were buying new I would likely go for the M10-P).  The quieter shutter would be nice, but in the two recordings I heard of it, it sounds more like a muffled M10 than something quieter like the Q, so it wasn't as "night and day" as I expected.  The touch screen and level are a bit "meh" for my style of shooting, and I like how the M10 looks better than the M10-P (maybe I am in the minority here).  JMHO.

Hi There

Well - having spent a few weeks with the M10-P, two things spring to mind:

1. it's great that it's a real improvement - especially for tripod shooters

2. I really don't need it myself - after all the M10 shutter is hardly a cacophony - and I agree - I always feel I have earplugs in with the M10-P - I think it's the same shutter, and it certainly is much quieter . . 

Nope - Glad it's good - I'm sure it'll sell  - but I'm happy with my M10

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

I would love a quieter shutter but $8k for a non-special edition M digital is just getting a bit insane. And what in the heck is going on with this trend of making the P version have a screw where the dot is? I also see the lens mount riser is the same super obvious silver on black on the P, I painted that eyesore within weeks of getting my M10.

I’ll keep rocking the vanilla flavored M10 thank you very much.

Edited by Reciprocity
  • Like 3

My M240 has a level, which does come in handy as I'm very picky about stuff like that.  Better than cropping later & losing parts of the image.

I'm waiting for the M11 (new features in M-10P will surely migrate) but am in no rush - love the 240.  As I did the 9, 6 (with 0.85 VF), 4, 3, IIIf and let's not forget the pocket-able film CL!

Started by trading a Nikon F for the IIIf @ 13yrs old 52 years ago, am making more prints per year than ever.

All that said, I care way more about lens selection & the sensor than the body.  Have been making B&W piezo prints 4 x 6 feet.  240's sensor & photoshop make that happen easily.  Not a speck of pixelization, even under a magnifying glass.

Shoot for print!  :)

• Like 1

I am very tempted to switch from M10 to M10-P just for the quieter shutter.

I never used the level gauge on my M (Typ 240) so I never missed in in my M10. The touch screen sure is useful but still nothing I'd desperately yearn for. But the shutter! In quiet environments it is way too loud; I cursed that obtrusive noise so many times. A significantly quieter shutter really is a desirable thing for me.

The other thing I don't like in my M10 is the looong time it takes to wake up from stand-by. I lost so many pictures because the camera simply won't fire the shutter when I press the button. I'd press six or seven times until it eventually fires; by then, the picture opportunity usually has gone ages before.

I'm afraid the new M10-P isn't any better than the M10 in this regard, is it? I guess if it was then Jono would have mentioned it ... so I'll better wait for the M11 to come along ...

• Like 3

I wasn't so taken with the M10 over the M240, especially as it lost the video and battery power and the shutter and weight was much the same. The only real advantage IMHO was the ISO performance

The M10-P now has a major update over the M240, the quieter shutter. Its now a much more desirable camera. The other additions I am not excited about

Perhaps the M11 will loose 100g and it'll be a grail camera .....

Nice ... but not enough to upgrade.

Why launch it a month before show time ? what else is in play .

I think that all manufacturers are moving away from announcing at Photokina - easy to get lost in the rush, and new announcements get covered properly on the internet these days.

So don't hold your breath!

• Like 4