M10-P Release

lanetomlane

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Must be official as I've just received an email from the Leica Store Manchester inviting me to see the new M10-P on Saturday the 25 August. They even say they have limited stock available. I'm sticking to the original M10 though. Will not be attending so I can't be tempted.

Regards, Tom

Edited by lanetomlane

Not too tempting either. 700$ for red-dot removal, a quiet shutter, basic touch-screen functionality and an artificial horizon in LV. Well, rather Leica...

Good if you want these things - touchscreen works really well with zoom focus in Live view mode . . .if that's what floats your boat!

• Like 2

The shutter didn't sound that much quieter in your recordings, Jono, but I will find the time to go and listen to it in reality.

For me it did, certainly. There’s more bass and less metallic sounding treble and that’s what I and my neighbours in the theatre want.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For me it did, certainly. There’s more bass and less metallic sounding treble and that’s what I and my neighbours in the theatre want.

It sounded quieter, but not much more so - but there's a limit to how far we can describe it in words!

I think it would still irritate some of the people I sit near in a theatre or recital room, even though I often get 'the photographer's seat'. 

Silent (electronic) is best. It was the reason why I didn't buy the M10 when it came out, but that train has left the station now: the CL and the SL get used for that purpose, and the M240 is increasingly left on the shelf. That's the consequence of design choices!

Edited by LocalHero1953

I believe most of those who already own the M10, will hesitate to upgrade to the M10-P. Personally, the M10-P's features are mere refinements of an already good RF camera. They are certainly not critical additions - at least not for me. And if I really wanted a silent camera, I would take out my a7RIII or a9. These cameras have really silent shutters.

Edited by AlanYWM

The shutter sound ist not different from the M10 one (which is not much different from the M262), but it is damped. So the sound is not more beautiful, but it is much (!) more quiet. I would describe the difference in this way: The M10 is a shoot out of a pistol. The M10-P is a shoot out of a pistol with a baffle.

The shutter sound ist not different from the M10 one (which is not much different from the M262), but it is damped. So the sound is not more beautiful, but it is much (!) more quiet. I would describe the difference in this way: The M10 is a shoot out of a pistol. The M10-P is a shoot out of a pistol with a baffle.

Yeah, that’s well and fine but this kind of pisses me off, they should have got this right in the first place on the original M10, they know how important that aspect is to photographers.

In one year I convinced 4 people to shell out money for an M10 and associated glass. I have news for you, that ship has sailed folks, if asked about what camera to get at this point I am sending people elsewhere.

• Like 1

Yeah, it’s about time Leica stops with slick merchandising in the M-line. Let them do it with d-luxes etc.

Making gold M’s for the sheiks or Bhoumibol is ok with me but this is nasty indeed. The M262 already had that silence they present now as the ultimate.

Edited by otto.f

In one year I convinced 4 people to shell out money for an M10 and associated glass. I have news for you, that ship has sailed folks, if asked about what camera to get at this point I am sending people elsewhere.

Why? Because the shutter sound is not to your taste? 

Edited by ianman
  • Like 1

Wow! The M10 makes a loud clack-whirr but I can’t hear the M10-P at all!!

Just turn the volume up!

But.. these tests do not take ambient noise into account. In any public place, ambient noise would mask noise from the M10 and M10-P

I like to hear my shutter. It’s reassuring.

Edited by lucerne

Yeah, that’s well and fine but this kind of pisses me off, they should have got this right in the first place on the original M10, they know how important that aspect is to photographers.

Come on, presumably you were happy with the way the M10 was to buy it yourself and encourage others to buy it also. The new camera hasn't changed your M10, it's still the same camera you bought.

I'm sure the next M camera will have more improvements over the M10-P, just as the M10 did over the M9. Your logic can only lead to madness!

• Like 5