Leica CL App

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone had success with this? I downloaded it today and it seems cumbersome to use. I have an IPhone SE, iOS 11.4.1. It seems like every time I want to use the app, I have to set up the WLAN again. I have only managed to connect to the phone once. Even then, the functionality seemed limited. 

I share your frustration. I tried out the app with my iphone 7 when I started using the CL but found it most unintuitive and really more bother than it is worth. I do not like juggling with a mobile while using a camera. Unfortunately the CL does bot have a threaded shutter button for a cable release.

• Like 1

The flip side of this silliness is that I used the Leica SL app when I had that camera quite a lot and never had a single problem with it. That says to me that they can do it: the CL app was simply not given enough development time or testing. It was probably considered a low priority.

I'm sure that they can fix it; I hope that they give it enough priority to fix it soon. 

I share your frustration. I tried out the app with my iphone 7 when I started using the CL but found it most unintuitive and really more bother than it is worth. I do not like juggling with a mobile while using a camera. Unfortunately the CL does bot have a threaded shutter button for a cable release.

I solve that problem with a "KAISER 6154 CABLE RELEASE ADAPTER BELT" that allows me to fit any mechanical cable release to the CL for copy stand and tripod use. It's a little bit clumsy to fit, but otherwise works perfectly. 

• Like 1

The lack of a cable release for the shutter bothered me too. I do have a sturdy tripod and Manfrotto tripod head that should allow me to take photos without transmitting vibration. All the same, if a company such as Leica is to have a remote app to actuate the shutter, it should have been well tested before the camera was released.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The lack of a cable release for the shutter bothered me too. I do have a sturdy tripod and Manfrotto tripod head that should allow me to take photos without transmitting vibration. All the same, if a company such as Leica is to have a remote app to actuate the shutter, it should have been well tested before the camera was released.

I agree, but it seems it wasn't. So I just work around the problem until a solution is provided. :)

The same problem here. I guess we are stuck with the self timer for tripod use.

The cable release adapter gizmo I listed earlier does work well, although it likely isn't suitable for every situation. I use it mostly when I'm working with the copy stand; for the tripod, the self timer works well enough. 

The cable release adapter gizmo I listed earlier does work well, although it likely isn't suitable for every situation. I use it mostly when I'm working with the copy stand; for the tripod, the self timer works well enough. 

Following your suggestion I ordered a Kaiser Cable release Adapter which arrived this morning. It is quite a simple device but works well. It is designed for Bridge Cameras so the velcro strap is longer than necessary for the CL but after trimming both ends I obtained a nice neat tight fit. There is a slight drawback in that as the on/off switch which surrounds the shutter release button on the CL it becomes inaccessible once the gadget is fitted. Not a major problem. I think using this device will be much easier than the infuriating app on a mobile phone.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Once you set up the app for your particular camera, you shouldn't have to set it up every time. I experienced the problem highlighted here at first as well.

In the leica menu, WLAN/ Function/ Connect to app. Set it up with the QR code the first time, and then go the app. Use the app/ phone camera to read the code, and then go to settings on your phone/ ipad and look for the Leica network under wifi.  Once you've set up a password (the camera does this through the QR code), you don't have to do it again. You should just be able to click Leica followed by a string of numbers in searching for wifi networks in your phone settings. Then go to the app and click 'connect to device.' This should remain until the next time you fire up the wifi on the CL. 

If you've done this once, ignore the new QR code. Just go to the phone. I just did it and it took less than 10 seconds. 

At least that's my experience. 

Once you set up the app for your particular camera, you shouldn't have to set it up every time. I experienced the problem highlighted here at first as well.

In the leica menu, WLAN/ Function/ Connect to app. Set it up with the QR code the first time, and then go the app. Use the app/ phone camera to read the code, and then go to settings on your phone/ ipad and look for the Leica network under wifi.  Once you've set up a password (the camera does this through the QR code), you don't have to do it again. You should just be able to click Leica followed by a string of numbers in searching for wifi networks in your phone settings. Then go to the app and click 'connect to device.' This should remain until the next time you fire up the wifi on the CL. 

If you've done this once, ignore the new QR code. Just go to the phone. I just did it and it took less than 10 seconds. 

At least that's my experience. 

Indeed it's the Leica CL profile that should be installed on your iPhone that makes it work as a receiver of the CL hot spot. Check under iPhone Settings -> General and then scroll down, its should show itself under the VPN box...