Open Thread: Pictures from the past (30 years+)

DirkR440

I think this was a Leica IIIF with 135 mm lens shot, but I'm not certain.  When we were living in an apartment my parents thought we should have a dog, but one sturdy enough and friendly enough to put up with two small children (My sister, born two years before me, but now five years my junior, and me). This was about 1950.  The dog, Amber, a boxer, was just far too rambunctious, and the space for her was far too restrictive.  We gave her away to the Seeing Eye School in Morristown, NJ, where they still train guide dogs.  Amber's admission test was to see how she reacted to a small firecracker, lighted and tossed a meter or so away from her.  She was unimpressed, and the dean of dogs accepted her.  This photo is of her being trained on the streets of Morristown.  Our father told us after graduation she was sent to a man in southern California with a swimming pool, so we felt less sad about her going since we assumed she'd love southern California and swimming in her own pool.  Sometimes during her training we would stay down wind nearly a block away watching so she would not be distracted by our scent.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Guest Nowhereman

I've posted this elsewhere, but think it belongs in this thread. Taken in Kampala in 1965, 2-½ years after Uganda’s independence. "wattsy" wrote: “I know there’s a temptation to aim for something more mannered but there’s a lot to be said for a straight-on, unfussy portrait. So many great details here, this photograph just reeks of history. It would be interesting to know how the subject, with her confident and optimistic looking smile in a newly independent Uganda, feels fifty or so years later.

At that time, Kampala had a population of 250,000; when I last visited in 1993 it was over one million, and had gone through the rule of Idi Amin. 

Leica IIIc | Summitar 50 | Kodachrome II | Digitalized with M10 + Focotar-50 II + BEOON

37210007671_c10b3dbd0e_b.jpg

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Nowhereman Instagram

Guest Nowhereman

In 1965, my wife and I were driving a VW beetle in the Karamoja district of Uganda, towards Moroto. Half an hour earlier, going round a bend, we saw a group of Karamojong men on a small hill next to the road. When they saw me they threw down their long spears and ran off — Karamojong were forbidden to carry spears and they probably thought I was a District Officer. We then came upon this small group of Karamojong women resting in the shade. We stopped but could not communicate with them, as they did not speak "up-country Kiswahili", which was the lingua franca of Uganda. The Karamojong are an ethnic group related to the Turkana. 

It was about 2 pm and the light was very bright and high-contrast, so that the slide has some blown highlights. This roll was in a shipping container with our belongings that spent, through mishaps, six months at the port of Mombasa, including a season of the "long rains". Years later, when I scanned this slide, it had turned into what looks like a cyan monochrome — yes, Kodachrome can also go bad in extreme conditions — and for the post-processing to get the look of the dry-season grass necessitated an enormous addition of yellow in the white balance. I also have a B&W version of this scan.

Leica IIIc | Summitar 50 | Kodachrome II | Scanned on Imacon Precision III

32450466972_e19bb3c4d7_b.jpg

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Nowhereman Instagram

Edited by Nowhereman

• 4 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am very happy to see this new thread. I hope it does well. But before I post any pictures, is it intended to be for just Leica photos? My father had a Leica for his work but took most of his pictures with s Certo Dollina. I bought my first Leica, a IIIf, in 1965 but I also had my father’s Certo. As a result there are very few of my father’s and my older negatives that I can associate with a particular camera.

Guest Nowhereman

Taken from the Star Ferry going from Kowloon to HongKong, around 1982, with Leica M3 and  Summicron 50 lens on Kodachrome 25 film.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!