Leica M PinHole photography

Steve Ricoh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I went out with it on M-E, report is here :)

Very nice work Ko.Fe. I think the less than perfect focus works well on the street.

What do you and anyone else reading this think about starting a pin hole thread in the Pictures forum? Of course we have the 'I Like Film' thread that allows pictures from any camera, not just digital, but at the moment we don't have a digital equivalent (I'm sure it will have to be strictly Leica for any digi shots). You have some excellent shots from your M-E worth sharing. I will join in when my M pin hole arrives.

Edited by Steve Ricoh

If anybody wants to make their own pinhole you can do it fairly easily. Take some brass shim or a small square of a drinks can, the thinner the better. Use a pin to make a tiny dent in the metal, but don't go through it. Then from the other side sand down the dent using very fine wet'n'dry paper. As soon as you can just see a tiny hole or light, then stop. This gives you a tiny pinhole and with a very thin edge to it's aperture so it will produce sharper images. If you just punch through with the pin you can get a tiny hole, but you won't get the thin edge.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

And one from my pre-digital days, shot with the same home made pinhole lens and an M3.

40000953290_6cc0ccfe31_c.jpg

41907715662_d9bb2239cf_c.jpg

That's a fine shot, love the white bird against the dark rocks.

The M Skink pancake pinhole that I ordered arrived a few days ago, 1:110 / f24. I'm now wondering how to frame without guesswork, or the expense (£ ?) for an external viewfinder. (I use both the M6 and M240.)

I just use the optical viewfinder, with pinhole on my M-P 240.

Works perfectly.

Good starting point I guess, however the widest lens accommodated on the M240 is 35mm, and for a spectacle user the frame lines are right on the edge of the OVF. The Skink Pinhole Pancake has an effective FoV of 24mm. Some guess work required, but at least what appears in the viewfinder will definitely appear in the frame. Edited by Steve Ricoh
  • Like 1

That's a fine shot, love the white bird against the dark rocks.

The M Skink pancake pinhole that I ordered arrived a few days ago, 1:110 / f24. I'm now wondering how to frame without guesswork, or the expense (£ ?) for an external viewfinder. (I use both the M6 and M240.)

Thanks Steve. My home made pinhole lens is close to a 28mm field of view so with my M9 and film Leicas I just guess using the outside edges of rangefinder or use an external viewfinder.  I think the Skink pinhole is a wider field of view so you may need more like a 21mm or even 18mm external viewfinder. The Leica viewfinders are a bit expensive but for pinhole use there are some cheaper options on eBay.

External viewfinders work great for shots where the subject is more than five feet from the lens. As you get closer to a subject parallax kicks in making it hard to judge the framing accurately, and shooting close with almost infinite depth of field is part of the fun. One trick I use when shooting close subjects is to use my phone camera to shoot a test. Just hold the phone right in front of the pinhole lens making sure you center the phone lens with the pinhole lens and snap a shot.  Obviously this doesn't show the full field of view your pinhole lens captures but will show you what's centered in the lens.  Never tried it but another thought would be to use one those "add on" wide angle lens on your phone to better simulate the field of view of the pinhole lens. 

If you aren't using it already the PinHole Master app for the iPhone is awesome. You just program in the aperture information for your camera plus the film speed and exposure compensation for reciprocity failure for your film and the app's exposure meter then does all the calculations plus a countdown timer for the making the exposure. 

Enjoy the new lens, let's see some photos! Cheers, jc

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Este es un hilo que me atrae y quiero probar.
Antes de hacer cualquier inversión me gustaría hacerle algunas preguntas:

¿Qué tal si empiezo a probar con Leica IIIf, con un visor externo? ...

No encuentro la cubierta del orificio específica para Leica IIIF o M39.

A primera vista, solo he podido encontrar uno universal, que puede ser válido para varias cámaras. (Podría ser utilizable en mi M8).

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Universal-Pinhole-lens-black-self-made-for-Canon-Nikon-M39-M42-pinhole-D-0-2mm/123468560848?hash=item1cbf4cb9d0:g: ~ KcAAOSworhb4wGB: rk: 26: pf: 0

¿Do Crees que es bueno o lo ves alto en precio? ...

Gracias saludos

Edited by Dopaco

• 3 weeks later...

Library of Congress pinhole photographs. Leica M2, 0.2mm lens cap pinhole, focal length about 22mm. Kodak TX100, 6 minute exposure.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2