M10 M-D

IkarusJohn

FOTOS 1.0.1 (for iOS) allows you to control the internal settings in an M10-D!  (Haven't checked the Android version yet, but expect the same.)

Just picked up my -D at the airport, where it was going to spend the weekend waiting for a ride up to Jerusalem.  Although it is a US camera, it spent last night in Koeln, an hour's drive from Wetzlar and even less from the Photokina site.  I envy its travel abilities.  (Ain't package tracking grand?)

Anyway, I hooked it up to my iPad version of FOTOS and got the auto ISO parameters and liveview focus aids set where I wanted them.  Even formatted a card just to see what would happen,  Here's the evidence:

C1090707 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

C1090706 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

I'm still waiting to be able to set a file prefix so that its files won't duplicate the files from an earlier M camera.  Now back to the day job...

scott

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 2

As I've come to realize, the M10-D is absolutely not the same design notion as the M-D typ 262 at all. It's a full spec M10-P with LCD and most of the back panel buttons off-loaded to a smartphone app in order to improve the cameras handling and ergonomics. On that basis, I'd buy one as a companion to my M-D for when those additional capabilities are needed, if I didn't already own the CL .. and maybe at some point in addition to the CL. 

My Dremel stands at the ready... :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Scott. Reinsuring to see that app will allow - at least once - to adjust the parameters as you prefer. I will exchange my M-D 262 for the M10-D next thuesday  😊 despite the "winding" level...

Happy pictures with your new M !

Ramarren: as soon you succeed to leave the level, please show us how to proceed!! 😁 I already have the Dremel...

What a pleasure to be in that forum!!!

Edited by papimuzo
addition
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One fine point, that I might have an opportunity to test soon -- the "date and time" option apparently will change the file embedded time stamps to local time, taken from the attached phone.  Since the GPS on a VF20 (if you even use on) is pretty flaky, this is a nice improvement, and the phone hardly has to come out of your pocket to do it.  And the option is to leave all time stamps on your local timezone, which is what I do with my wrist watch.

Guest Nowhereman
17 hours ago, papimuzo said:

...I will exchange my M-D 262 for the M10-D next thuesday  😊 despite the "winding" level...

Philosophy and emotionally, the fake winding lever strikes me as nonsense. But thinking about it, I've always used a add-on thumb rest on the digital-Ms I've used, using the Leica one on the M10. These cameras are heavy and I find it essential to use a thumb rest, which I find essential for shooting in the vertical ("portrait") orientation, and helpful in the horizontal ("landscape") orientation. I always thought it was a design flaw that an add-on thumb rest was needed or highly desirable. Now, I cannot deny that the fake lever makes a good thumb rest, as absurd as this film camera vestige may be conceptually — and it liberates the accessory should for my 21mm finder when I use a 21mm lens.

As for not having an LCD on the back, it's hard for me to give up the possibility checking the histogram occasionally, particularly since I feel strongly that the M10 blows out highlights more easily, or renders them too light when there is backlight or strong sidelight, than the M9 and MM. If Leica were to fix this highlight problem in firmware, I could consider than M10-D.

I too have used thumb-rests on all my M8-M9-M240-M262, even also on the CL, essentially the "Thumbies" (forum member's production) which leave the flash griff free. And if/when I extract the winding level from the M10-D, I'm pretty sure that I will use again a Thumbie. 😉 because I think like you that I need that kind of support for handling these digital cameras.

an example:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by papimuzo
correction

On 11/2/2018 at 9:21 AM, scott kirkpatrick said:

FOTOS 1.0.1 (for iOS) allows you to control the internal settings in an M10-D!  (Haven't checked the Android version yet, but expect the same.)

Just picked up my -D at the airport, where it was going to spend the weekend waiting for a ride up to Jerusalem.  Although it is a US camera, it spent last night in Koeln, an hour's drive from Wetzlar and even less from the Photokina site.  I envy its travel abilities.  (Ain't package tracking grand?)

Anyway, I hooked it up to my iPad version of FOTOS and got the auto ISO parameters and liveview focus aids set where I wanted them.  Even formatted a card just to see what would happen,  Here's the evidence:

C1090707 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

C1090706 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

I'm still waiting to be able to set a file prefix so that its files won't duplicate the files from an earlier M camera.  Now back to the day job...

scott

Is it possible to adjust these settings without a smartphone? 

On 11/2/2018 at 1:21 PM, scott kirkpatrick said:

scott

HI There Scott

that’s something of a revelation  - I was still using the test-flyte version.- the biggest thing missing seems to be the ability to choose non coded lenses (but I’ll check that).

Thanks for that post - it’s excellent news and sorts out most of the missing issues.

All the best

Jonathan

24 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I didn't spot it at first, but you can also shoot B/W jpegs in the M10-D with the app, if you like that sort of thing.

Ah, yes - I quite often set my M10 to B/W jpg (and then shoot only DNG) if the light is particularly dreek - but I’m not quite sure what the mileage would be on the M10D

The most important thing missing seems to be the lens database (for non-coded lenses) . . . Or have you found something about that too?

On 11/5/2018 at 10:27 PM, jonoslack said:

The most important thing missing seems to be the lens database (for non-coded lenses) . . . Or have you found something about that too?

The information is in there somewhere.  My new M10-D runs exactly the same firmware as an M10-P  (2.6.5.1, to be precise).  I think the problem is that the list of lenses is much longer than one screen can hold, so they have to write a bit more code.  And they should support  R lenses, too. 

edit:  I think it is within the bounds of possibility to ask that the M10-D through FOTOS do anything that an M10-P can do, since apparently Leica will support both with a single firmware release.  But on the question of supporting uncoded lenses, the instruction manual does not support that.  It says that uncoded lenses will work, but only a standard profile will be applied and nothing will be said in the EXIF.  I think Leica can do better than that.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/3/2018 at 4:42 PM, papimuzo said:

I too have used thumb-rests on all my M8-M9-M240-M262, even also on the CL, essentially the "Thumbies" (forum member's production) which leave the flash griff free. And if/when I extract the winding level from the M10-D, I'm pretty sure that I will use again a Thumbie. 😉 because I think like you that I need that kind of support for handling these digital cameras.

an example:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I handled the M10-D at Leica Mayfair today. The ‘thumb rest/faux film winder’ makes the one handed hold much more comfortable. The lever itself swings out and is held in place by what feels like a detente, so it stays out.  It is easily folded back in to the close position.  In the out position, it comfortably wraps around the thumb. The lever feels quite solid and well made. 

• Like 4

Yes Big John,

I have to confess that having used since four days now tthe M10-D, I found like you that the fake level is rather well adapted to ease the handling. So, I have no more the intention to put out this tool...😜 . Congrat - once more - Leica! I hope nevertheless that the level is solid and well attached as it sees sometimes rather high pressure.

Happy pictures with this new tool!

10 minutes ago, papimuzo said:

Yes Big John,

I have to confess that having used since four days now tthe M10-D, I found like you that the fake level is rather well adapted to ease the handling. So, I have no more the intention to put out this tool...😜 . Congrat - once more - Leica! I hope nevertheless that the level is solid and well attached as it sees sometimes rather high pressure.

Happy pictures with this new tool!

Not having one, but clearly wishing you amuse-toi bien avec le nouveau appareil et bonnes photos.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from a two-week trip to Asia, Hong Kong, Tokyo and Kyoto to be specific. On no less the six occasions did the Leica “thumb support” come off of my camera, bouncing beside me in a museum, behind me (twice) in an airport. It was just a matter of time before I lost it altogether. It spent the last five days in my bag. I’m excited about and hoping my M10-D comes in sooner and not later. The winder/thumb rest makes perfect sense to me. Cheers—lt