Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, plaidshirts said:

A la Epson R-D1

Yes exactly, would have been better to make Leica’s interpretation of the groundbreaking Epson R-D1. 

While the 10-D appears to flirt with the traditional film-camera shooting experience, it appears unwilling to make a full commitment.  

And that Viso-flex...no.   Outdated EVF technology, plus that design belongs on the TL - not on the M10.  

Having said that...I have to admit that I like the concept of a digital “street” camera that shoots like a film camera.  Now I want to hold this 10-D, and shoot some frames in a Leica store (fortunately, one is nearby)!

Edited by jjb
  • Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey all,      I have been reading through this thread, the positives and negatives, and I wanted to weight in as I was extremely lucky to be able to get an M10-D on the day it was announced at my Local Boutique, so I have first hand experience with the camera, that I paid for and was not given to me by Leica to review.        I have always loved the M-D concept, had and loved the first one, knew I would want the sequel.   And having shot the M10 and M10-P since their respectively launc

If Leica fits the M10 M-D with a totally non-functional lever, the churning sound audible in the streets of Wetzlar will be Oscar Barnack turning in his grave...

Shutter cocking using this lever would be equally false and serve no useful purpose. The battery power expended cocking the shutter is negligible so manually winding it would just be a design affectation. The Epson RD-1 had a manual 'wind-on' lever because that camera was built using a Bessa body which used a manually cocked shutter. That was the nature of that camera chassis and Epson essentially shoehorned the digital guts into it. On the other hand, the Leica digital rangefinder is built arou

Posted Images

For those who want a less useful but more expensive photographic tool, go buy this thing.

As a working photographer, I need every tool I can get to make sure I get the shot. Yes, back in my film days I never really ever knew to be sure that I had what I needed until I saw the processed film. Why on earth would anyone want to have that kind of workflow today using a digital sensor? Using the less is more logic, why didn't Leica also limit the sensor to somewhere between M8 and M9 capability to better replicate film ISO's?

Why not create a digital camera with a shutter that is reset by a thumb wind lever? Why not have the capability to utilize AA (or something similarly available) batteries? Sure, battery life could be less but you'd not be screwed by needing a camera specific battery that needs to be charged in some way. You could offer a rechargeable battery pack to replace the off the self ones that could give better longer life or some extended performance.

Instead of an $8000 artist statement, Leica could create a working pro camera that would pretty much work anywhere under any conditions. Not that working pros don't use Leica cameras. 

Personally, I'd prefer all of the features of the M240 with upgraded specs in a smaller form factor. It's certainly something that could be done.

For a person that travels light, imagine having a camera that has a small form factor, uses commonly available batteries, has a manual shutter cocking mechanism to lessen battery drain and includes most of the features of the M240 with much upgraded specs. Yes, I'd buy one or two. I'd use them and wear the paint off of them unless they did the black chrome (which I actually like but doesn't have the same cool factor).

As Nikon and Canon enter the mirrorless market, they will eventually create very small form factor cameras that will compete with Leica offerings. I'm an NPS member and have a Z6 coming. I will not buy another D5 type DSLR until things sort themselves out a bit. Why carry the weight if a smaller form factor works? If you aren't shooting action, are you going to carry a DSLR as you go out and about or an M style camera with an assortment of lenses that weigh significantly less?

I want more camera capability, not less. I hate to say it but this is an artist statement or fanboy camera if you really think it through. It's not a tool I'd want to rely on no matter who it was made by.

This is said by someone who owns and uses the brand as a working tool.

Attached image was shot yesterday of Paul Ryan, Speaker of the US House of Representatives with Illinois 13th District Congressman Rodney Davis as they toured a facility that builds equipment for data centers. Shot with an M 240 and Voigtlander 12mm. Notice the Canon at the bottom of the frame. Which would you rather carry?

Edited by mweaverpics

I'm somewhat embarassed to pull out my normal M10 now! I've already had to cover the red dot. What a poser camera it is now...

11 minutes ago, jonnyboy said:

I don't understand what's 'cool' about the wind lever - it's embarrassing. On the next model what they going to do? they going to let you slide in some rolls of film and still shoot on an sd-card? 😓

Ha! I saw this in another forum and giggled "I have also heard that Leica is developing memory cards that hold only 36 photos."

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, I can see what they were doing:  mobile phones are eating into the camera market, so if you can't beat 'em join 'em.

Therefore calling this "digital body, analog soul" is a little misleading.  "Leica body, iPhone soul" is more like it.

Personally I need less time with my iPhone, not more.  So this is not a Leica for me.

1 hour ago, fjolnir said:

Since it’s announced, here’s the quickstart guide they accidentally put in the box with my M10-P:  http://d.asgeirsson.is/9OMyPJ

It's either an incredible oversight, or a clever mode of viral marketing.  If the latter, you were supposed to share it when you saw it, not hold it back!!

Edited by M9reno
3 minutes ago, M9reno said:

Well, I can see what they were doing:  mobile phones are eating into the camera market, so if you can't beat 'em join 'em.

Therefore calling this "digital body, analog soul" is a little misleading.  "Leica body, iPhone soul" is more like it.

Personally I need less time with my iPhone, not more.  So this is not a Leica for me.

In fact slowly my iPhone is becoming my digital capture companion next to my truly analog M2. 

To each is own though. I am sure many purist will like it, however I doubt the numbers.

A fold-out thumb-what? Rest? Grip? Hook? Useful? Sure. But something is awry here. This lever thing smacks of parody; of Leica, of Leica's history. It's becoming pretendland. Leica loves to sell its legacy and it's valid to do so but this thing makes a case that Leica's film legacy stands on its own, no matter to what Leica would bend it. It makes a case that Leica digital needs Leica film, not the other way around. Meanwhile Leica has difficulty producing (or caring to produce) sufficient actual film cameras for those who want to buy them new. (I am for the second time in that queue.) You know, the cameras they're mimicking, now more than ever.

1 minute ago, Dr No said:

If you are having to use your phone to work camera you will just say "oh forget the camera" and use the phone instead.

That is exactly what is happening to my usage of digital and analog M. I am using my M240 less and less and supplementing M2 with iPhone's digital shots.

12 minutes ago, MP2 said:

Well, I do not want video!Leica should have ditched the record video on this new camera. It gives the advantage to the M10 - P at the same retail price

wait....there's video on the M10-MD? I cannot find mention of that, and to have video without a LCD or even HDMI out, no way.

As I see it, the kitsch-trip that Leica has gone on with the M10-D (winding-less) lever is of concern because is reflects the company catering to a perceived marketing ethic rather than the Wesentliche that now has become mere lip-service. The handling of the M10's highlight rendition has also gone in the same direction: the M10 blows highlights more easily, and also renders highlights substantially lighter, than the M9 and MM, which is particularly  problematic whenever you're shooting into the light or with a strong sidelight. It seems to me that Leica decided to try to get a more M9-like look SOOC with the M10 than they did with the M240, in attempt to cater to less experienced users. But, as far as I'm concerned this has only created highlight problems, discussed in several other threads.

1 hour ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

We can disagree about the thumb rest (I do agree that it is kinda "faux."  I think of it as like an English "folly."), but it works for me.  And surely you don't want to use the thumbwheel and two buttons to set the few things that you might want to get right.  I took it out of the box with the factory settings, before the fotos app could change anything that mattered, shot it for two weeks, and just loved it.  The Visoflex for use with 24, and 18 mm M lenses proved very useful.  Otherwise it stayed in my pocket.  I'm getting one as a second M10.

I've never needed to set anything at all on my M-D other than date and time, and make exposure settings. 18000 exposures on, it's exactly complete and still the most nearly perfect M. The Leica Universal Wide Angle Finder presents a beautiful viewfinder for 16 to 28mm lenses and includes a very accurate bubble level. The only thing it doesn't do well is macro work, excepting with the BEOON, and I have another camera for that purpose. 

No need for a smartphone or any faux garbage that just gets in the way.

Edited by ramarren