M10 M-D

IkarusJohn

Apart from any size difference, the M10 pic seems to show the screw head flush with the body, unlike the protruding one on the earlier version.

I’m sure these differences are enough to cause some here to call the police or reach for their meds. Or, even better, to spend an extra $1k or more. Life in Leica land.

Jeff

Plus extra £££ for nuanced accessories to pimp up said P edition.

I am not sure what to expect from the M10 M-D, though I eagerly welcome the idea. I cannot imagine that they will stray too far from the layout of the standard M10. However, I can say that I would personally prefer the ISO dial on the back of the camera such as on the 262 version. Perhaps the current ISO "nob" can be converted to control options (like WIFI)viewable in the viewfinder. EVF would be nice. However, I agree that flies in the face of what the M-D concept is all about. The same can be said regarding wifi. I am excited to what happens. I enjoy the M10 very much (though I still prefer the color renderings of the 240, personally). If the new offering doesn't ring the bell for me, I may be very inclined to pickup one of the 262 M-D that will surely free up on the used market. Either way, it will be exciting to see..... Cheers--lt

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

M-D user here. I look forward to seeing an M-D based on the M10.

If Leica follows the release timing of the various 240-based cameras, they would release a M10 monochrom in the March/April 2019 timeframe. The M10 M-D would then come out in about March/April 2020.

Here's what I'm basing that on: M240-P was Aug 2014, M240 monochrom was May 2015, and M240 M-D was April 2016.

I have no idea what Leica plans to do, but if they were to release a M10 M-D this year, it would break from past precedent.

I'm current M-D (typ 262) user, and the only thing I'd like new M-D to be is it to be thinner.

I think current M-D nailed it with photographic controls. Large rear ISO dial is much more comfortable than "rewind" dial on M10(-P).

As for the M10 sensor, I'm not so sure. I find ISO 1600 plenty enough for night photography using Summilux lenses. AFAIK sensors tuned for higher gain suffer in color department. (I might be wrong here). Apart from amazing glass color is my favorite thing about M bodies. If anything I'd love to have ISO 100 and 50, so I get rid of ND filters in daylight.

Edited by totocaster
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes. Would prefer to have the ISO wheel on the back and the rewind dial could be compensation / customisable. Add brass and black paint and you've got yourself a winner. 

Oh and make it cheaper than the M10, which is reasonable and fair since I assume it costs less to produce sans LCD screen. 

Edited by jonatdonuts
  • Like 2

If they do use the M10 ISO dial on the M10 M-D, would it still have the "A" and "M" settings? Or would that be replaced such that each position represents a specific ISO value (such as is the case with the current M-D)?

Edited by jmr237

A few more thoughts:

—keep the rear ISO wheel from the M-D 262; it’s an excellent design that is both highly functional and a nod to past film body design (think of the ISO reminder on the M3 and the selector on the M7)

—for the knob that is used on the M10 to change ISO: change it to a selector for single shot mode, continuous mode, or self timer

—keep the button on the front of the M10 (the equivalent button from the M240 was not preserved for the M-D 262), and make it work as an exposure compensation adjustment in conjunction with the rear wheel; if pressed just once, it would show battery life and then remaining card capacity; essentially it would function the same as the button on the top plate of the current M-D

An M-D based on the M10 would be very exciting, as it would truly be a digital M7 given the M10’s slim form factor. I hope it’s coming!

Edited by jmr237
  • Like 1

M10 ISO knob should become a rewind knob on the M10D, i.e. used to control WiFi/Bluetooth connection to smart phone so that you can 'rewind' through your pictures... ISO dial on the back and a JPEG/HEIC preference in the centre like the old film type reminder dial (BW/Colour/RAW only). Possibly add a WB dial between ISO and film preference...

M-D user here. I look forward to seeing an M-D based on the M10.

If Leica follows the release timing of the various 240-based cameras, they would release a M10 monochrom in the March/April 2019 timeframe. The M10 M-D would then come out in about March/April 2020.

Here's what I'm basing that on: M240-P was Aug 2014, M240 monochrom was May 2015, and M240 M-D was April 2016.

I have no idea what Leica plans to do, but if they were to release a M10 M-D this year, it would break from past precedent.

Maybe we will be lucky this time.

M (Type 240) Announced in September 2012

M-P (Type 240) Announced in August 2014

Leica M-D (Type 262) Announced in April 2016

Leica M-D Typ 262 camera approaching end of life, no longer in production APRIL 23, 2018

Leica M10 19 January 2017

Leica M10P - 2018 - Announced in August 2018

Leica M10D 2019?

Leica M-D Typ 262 camera approaching end of life, no longer in production APRIL 23, 2018

Leica M10D 2019?

I hope you are right!

Leica M10D 2019?

I hope that Leica people take note when fixing the new M10-D's price.

The succes of M-D (typ 262) was not so high as expected, maybe it's price is the main reason.

I hope also that Leica Camera offer (same "not too high price") at same time the monochrom version of M10-D ;).

Looking at the european M (typ 246) price at 7 600€ and M10-P at 7 650€, I wonder if the M10-D Monochrome could be at about the same price.

Me think that even 1 000€ more, it could be a good deal (for me as it would "replace" present MM1 + M-D (262) + backup Ms).

Best scenario ... it's compatible with Visoflex 020 (for when I need more functions :p) : dream  :) M camera for years to come.

My photo productions would not be better than now, but my back/shoulder would feel better with that lighter kit.

Edited by a.noctilux

Future OLED or micro/mini OLED screen, much thinner, touch sensitive, will allow a "clear" back for future M cameras... free of silly buttons, pads and protruding plastic frames...

I want to be able to operate a camera with moist hands or gloves. I would definitely hate a camera exclusively depending on the touch screen. I am fed up with the needless iPhonization of all consumer electronics and household products. But then, that‘s just me.
  • Like 2

I want to be able to operate a camera with moist hands or gloves. I would definitely hate a camera exclusively depending on the touch screen. I am fed up with the needless iPhonization of all consumer electronics and household products. But then, that‘s just me.

I agree, but perhaps the M11 would be able to have the screen and buttons totally flush with the camera body. One of the reasons that I like the M-D is that the buttons and screen don't get in the way.

My thoughts are: while the current MD-262 and M60 are purist cameras for the advanced photographer, M10-D should have some innovation to attract current users to upgrade.

My suggestion is  -

leave ISO wheel on the back. 

Allow for M10 visoflex viewing only.

No image playback/review through visoflex.

Also allow visoflex to configure wifi. can be done using current thumbwheel and shutter press.

Where current ISO dial is have Nothing. Just a dropped shoulder like the MD262

This way you begin a recognizable iconic line of the digital M for the Ultimate purist who must work in a digital world.

Thoughts?