Zeiss C Biogon 35mm 2.8 on APS-C

Lack of 6bit coding only downside. Example here actually from TL2 (same sensor as CL) shows highly accurate colours and sharpness. Zeiss used to suggest setting camera menu as if 28mm Leica Summicron,

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Comparison CL with 35 1.4 Summilux TL and Zeiss 35 2.8 ZM (TL here)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Comparison CL with 35 1.4 Summilux TL and Zeiss 35 2.8 ZM (ZM here)

'Cool' could be matched or altered to taste in LR. My conclusion is that the ZM has about 95% of the sharpness, or resolution, of the TL lens.

Its advantages are weight and of course cost, versus the AF facility of the Leica lens. BTW the Summarit 35 2.4 is also very nice on the CL and it too weighs very little; it comes with shade which the ZM does not.

The TL35 has that modern, flat look to it. The Zeiss shows depth. The TL (and all these new lenses) shows remarkable detail, but the rendering is just...blah. I’d take the Zeiss.

Subjective gobbledegook  :rolleyes:. I have no idea what a 'modern, flat look' is .... or what 'showing depth' is either. 

I suspect in a blind testing with identical settings only some subtle differences in colour rendering, contrast and edge detail  would be noticeable in lenses of this quality.... and then mostly dependent on processing for the former. 

From an optical point of view, the perfect lens should be completely free of aberrations and distortions. 

"character' is a term describing the degree of crappiness inherent in the lens, which is fine if you want to spend your money on crap.

I'd prefer perfect rendering and the option to add crappiness in post processing.

That's what Leics strive for and why the lenses cost so much. 

Edited by thighslapper

I looked at the over and over again and I can for the life of me not detect a difference (except that curtain) that would make me spin one way or the other, or reveal differences that are not due to RAW handling by LR or sharpening or whatever.
A full-size version may reveal more, but it would likely be a matter of seeing what we want to see due to a bias towards one lens....the ZM looks just fine.

Another comparison, only adjustment in LR reducing exposure to match. Zeiss lens here.

• Like 1

35 Summilux TL here. Shows at least that the ZM at one-third the price and less weight is a good buy for the CL. Note the more 'interesting' texture on the top of the cimney base (lower left under the plate.) Both f5.6 with focus on flower pattern right of the plate.

Edited by microview
  • Like 1