M10 Focus Button

acmineiro

6 hours ago, M10 for me said:

Excellent feature. But this is to be found in no instruction manual. Just an example about what I posted above.

Then you might buy all these beautiful books as "Leica M10, the expanded guide". The book shows lovely photographs of your new camera. But were should the author know about features that even Leica is not describing. You find no additional information about that button either. 

M10 Instruction manual page 174. Cheers, jc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/16/2018 at 2:45 PM, Ickx said:

One of the few things I don't really like with the M10 is that button. Why can't I assign a custom function to is as I have no EVF. Self timer or drive mode for example.

Having just got an M10-P I feel the same. Seems odd to have two, non-programmable buttons dedicated to LV on a camera that I always thought people bought for the rangefinder focusing.

I’d love a button I could assign to Fotos as on my CL.

• Like 2

vor einer Stunde schrieb bandrews:

Having just got an M10-P I feel the same. Seems odd to have two, non-programmable buttons dedicated to LV on a camera that I always thought people bought for the rangefinder focusing.

I’d love a button I could assign to Fotos as on my CL.

This is not fully correct: There is this function: In order NOT to change exposure compensation I have the back wheel turned to OFF. Now with pressing the front button and at the same time turning the Exposure compensation you can adjust that compensation. But it is so odd that I can not use that properly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M10 for me said:

In order NOT to change exposure compensation I have the back wheel turned to OFF. Now with pressing the front button and at the same time turning the Exposure compensation you can adjust that compensation. But it is so odd that I can not use that properly.

I have the same issue... the front button hold while turning the back wheel is cumbersome and awkward and I shy from using it.  But with the back wheel ON the wheel unintentionally changes as the camera bounces on my back and subsequent photos are ruined until I notice that little dot in the viewfinder.  It wasn’t an issue on the M240. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, M10 for me said:

This is not fully correct: There is this function: In order NOT to change exposure compensation I have the back wheel turned to OFF. Now with pressing the front button and at the same time turning the Exposure compensation you can adjust that compensation. But it is so odd that I can not use that properly.

That's quite a niche functionality to give that button.... hoping its programmable in future updates but I'll survive - just seems a shame to have a couple of buttons on a camera I'll likely never use.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Gee. I couldn't figure out what the button on the front was for, as the manual didn't say anything useful other than for the name.  So, I went to Google, and ended up here.  Interesting discussion.  I guess I'll try to use it the way it seems Leica wants us to use it.  So it's supposed to enlarge the image for focusing on the Visoflex or rear screen.  And the lever on the rear at the top for exposure compensation.  I'll see how much trouble I get into, if any.

On 1/31/2020 at 5:45 AM, M10 for me said:

.....Then you might buy all these beautiful books as "Leica M10, the expanded guide". The book shows lovely photographs of your new camera. But were should the author know about features that even Leica is not describing. You find no additional information about that button either. 

Funny thing, after not finding any information, I went searching on Amazon for Leica M10 books, and found the one you mentioned.  It's on order, will arrive tomorrow.  I'm already reading the instruction manual, but maybe the book will make learning the camera a little easier.

To me it seems that Leica has described the different uses of the "focus" button fairly extensively in the manual, but only under each section where it can be used. So you don't get an overall view of its uses anywhere.

Edited by mujk

I also think it works quite well for focusing. It doesn't work that well for exposure compensation together with the thumb wheel. And for some odd reason I have a difficulty to find it with my finger. Very often I try to push the lens release button first before realising it's the wrong button.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mujk said:

I also think it works quite well for focusing. It doesn't work that well for exposure compensation together with the thumb wheel. And for some odd reason I have a difficulty to find it with my finger. Very often I try to push the lens release button first before realising it's the wrong button.

3 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

Yes, saw that mentioned in another, more recent thread as well. Guess I need to get a Bumpon, although I think Leica could have designed the button a bit differently from the start.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'm new to Leica having just purchased an M10.  I must say that I spent a couple of hours this evening trying to track down what the 'focus button' is for.  All I learned in the process is that it's an enigma; it is terribly placed; I can't feel it even when my finger is on it; trying to hold it while using the rear wheel is like trying to rub your belly and pat your head at the same time; and last but not least... Leica needs desperately to hire someone who can write a manual that can be understood by the layman photographers like me.

57 minutes ago, DesertHorse said:

I'm new to Leica having just purchased an M10.  I must say that I spent a couple of hours this evening trying to track down what the 'focus button' is for.  All I learned in the process is that it's an enigma; it is terribly placed; I can't feel it even when my finger is on it; trying to hold it while using the rear wheel is like trying to rub your belly and pat your head at the same time; and last but not least... Leica needs desperately to hire someone who can write a manual that can be understood by the layman photographers like me.

I've had the same problem since the M240 but it's easily fixed by putting a small self-adhesive plastic domed button on the focus button.  They're made for protecting polished surfaces from objects sitting on top them and they're a few pence for lots of them.  They might be marketed under the name "Bumpon" where you are otherwise they're normally available from a stationery shop under other names.

Once the domed button is attached it's easily found by the fingers and the surface of the domed button provides a bit of purchase when pushing the focus button.

Pete.

• Like 1

After the frustration of trying to find the focus button with the camera up to my eye I also increased the height of the button on both my M240 and M10 so it can be felt. I used a punched out disc of aluminium sheet and held it on with double sided tape. I'm more and more convinced that the current Leica designers don't take photographs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, farnz said:

I've had the same problem since the M240 but it's easily fixed by putting a small self-adhesive plastic domed button on the focus button.  They're made for protecting polished surfaces from objects sitting on top them and they're a few pence for lots of them.  They might be marketed under the name "Bumpon" where you are otherwise they're normally available from a stationery shop under other names.

Once the domed button is attached it's easily found by the fingers and the surface of the domed button provides a bit of purchase when pushing the focus button.

Pete.

I've been using farnz' suggestion for a while and it works great. With the plastic "bumpon", you don't have to press the button down into its center axis, but merely against the side of the dome from any angle.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Mikep996 said:

There's a focus button on my M10?  

I'll be darned, until this thread popped up due to current postings, I had never even noticed that button!  I guess an extra button is a good thing (?) but clearly, I haven't needed it! ;)

Was going to comment the exact same thing 😆 

Have never used it since I don't have an EVF...shame we can't remap another function onto it. 

• Like 1