M10 Focus Button

acmineiro

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One of the few things I don't really like with the M10 is that button. Why can't I assign a custom function to is as I have no EVF. Self timer or drive mode for example.

It also feels awful. Terrible lack of tactile feedback. It's identical to the bayonet release for some reason (seriously Leica?) but with less travel. 

• Like 2

It also feels awful. Terrible lack of tactile feedback. It's identical to the bayonet release for some reason (seriously Leica?) but with less travel. 

I found it hard to locate with my finger so I purchased some tiny, clear, plastic, self-adhesive "bumpons" and stuck one to the button.  Problem solved, the bumpon* isn't noticeable, and you get about 50 of them for pennies so they cost nothing to replace if they fall off, which they rarely do.

*I believe that bumpons are designed to be stuck to teh bottoms of ornament so they don't mark polished wooden surfaces.

Pete.

Edited by farnz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's kind of astonishing to me that a set of users of well built cameras can appreciate the mechanical precision and tactile satisfaction of M lenses and the rest of the camera body and proceed to ignore how absolutely mushy and terrible the focus assist button is. Poorly executed idea from Leica. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Let me just reopen this thread.

Today I had my Canon A-1 (with a 50mm lens) from the late 70ies in my hands and I realize how well all buttons and wheels are built. The focusing ring goes smooth whereas the aperture ring is quite stiff and there is no way that you can change the settings accidentally. Even the exposure compensation wheel is secured by a little button on top. Only the focus ring can be turned unintentionally which is no problem as I have to use it anyway for each shot (when not using zone focussing).  

With my M10 its different: The exposure rings of the lenses change their position very often unintentionally. So does the exposure compensation when the back wheel is activated for that function. As a consequence I set the back wheel to off (normally I take photographs with the OVF only). But when I want to make an exposure change (I rarely do that though) then this still works (without using the menu) by pressing this famous front-button (called focus-button) and at the same time turning the back wheel. Try it out. It is possible but very uncomfortable as its hardly not possible with one hand (you have to press that button AND turn the wheel simultaneously !!). 

So I understand some dissatisfaction. For users working frequently with LV or use an OVF that button is probably helpful. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, M10 for me said:

Let me just reopen this thread.

Today I had my Canon A-1 (with a 50mm lens) from the late 70ies in my hands and I realize how well all buttons and wheels are built. The focusing ring goes smooth whereas the aperture ring is quite stiff and there is no way that you can change the settings accidentally. Even the exposure compensation wheel is secured by a little button on top. Only the focus ring can be turned unintentionally which is no problem as I have to use it anyway for each shot (when not using zone focussing).  

With my M10 its different: The exposure rings of the lenses change their position very often unintentionally. So does the exposure compensation when the back wheel is activated for that function. As a consequence I set the back wheel to off (normally I take photographs with the OVF only). But when I want to make an exposure change (I rarely do that though) then this still works (without using the menu) by pressing this famous front-button (called focus-button) and at the same time turning the back wheel. Try it out. It is possible but very uncomfortable as its hardly not possible with one hand (you have to press that button AND turn the wheel simultaneously !!). 

So I understand some dissatisfaction. For users working frequently with LV or use an OVF that button is probably helpful. 

Wait a minute!  One of the very few gripes I have about my M is that at times the Exp Comp dial gets twiddled.  It does this because of a defect in my operational manner; I never turn the camera off, I always let it go to sleep and rewake it by tapping the shuttle release.  As such this presents the opportunity to accidentally change exp comp when I drop the camera back to my side.

This takes care of that!  Thanks for posting as I didn’t realize (should RTFM sometime) that you could do that.  

Back to trying to have my cake and eating it too.

• Like 1

vor 12 Stunden schrieb KFo:

Thanks for posting as I didn’t realize (should RTFM sometime) that you could do that.  

Back to trying to have my cake and eating it too.

Well, you will not learn too much when reading the manual. For a reason or another I think that manual is not done to the utmost conscientiousness not to say sloppy (no comparison to the 600 page manual of the Canon 5D Mk IV).

vor 29 Minuten schrieb dickgillberg:

Another thing it does are when you use B-setting for longer exposures press it and you can choose the time. I think that's a great feature.

Excellent feature. But this is to be found in no instruction manual. Just an example about what I posted above.

Then you might buy all these beautiful books as "Leica M10, the expanded guide". The book shows lovely photographs of your new camera. But were should the author know about features that even Leica is not describing. You find no additional information about that button either.