Best bag / messenger Bag / backpack recomendation for Leica Q?

kyeo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone,

I have tried to find information about small and compact bags / messenger bags / backpacks suitable for the Leica Q, but I have not come out clearly.
While I wait to receive my Q, I would like you to recommend me which ones you use or which ones you see are the most appropriate.

Thanks in advance!

The Peak Design 5L is perfect for me, my Q a small ipad, tabletop tripod, spare batteries and cards.

I agree: the Peak Design Everyday Sling 5L is an excellent choice for a smallish camera plus other incidentals. I've been using one for about three quarters of a year ... Currently my CL plus R28, R50 lenses live in it, along with my usual complement of batteries, cards, and other pocket incidentals. (I can still jimmy an iPad Pro 9x7 into it as well, but it gets pretty tight and I don't ordinarily need the iPad in the field since my iPhone 8 Plus is big enough to use for most of what I use the iPad for.)

If you like a sling type bag, the Wotancraft Mini Rider and Easy Rider are also excellent choices. The Mini Rider is too small for any pad larger than an iPad mini but its boxier shape allows more room for small camera equipment. The Easy Rider is much much larger and can handle a lot, including an iPad Pro 12". 

If you like a more traditional shoulder/messenger bag type of carry, there are many many many choices available. I like canvas for these bags and there are many available. I happen to like the Artisan & Artist ACAM-1100 for smaller cameras, but it's likely more than needed for a fixed lens camera. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you all for your recommendations.

The Peak Design 5L bag looks good and may be the one I like the most, but I do not know if it is too big to move alone with the Q; Maybe a little disproportionate for the Q?
IIs the strap long enough to carry it like a side bag?

Many thanks.

I highly recommend you take a look at Billingham 72. It fits the Q perfectly (with mounted hood) and has one small pocket that can fit spare battery and few SD cards.

There are 3 key reasons why I prefer this bag (I also purchased Billingham Small for these same reasons - for those times when I want to take a few other items in the bag in addition to the camera).

1. Extremely weather resistant (which I think is critical given Q is not weather sealed)

2. Unlike most other bags, the opening/closing mechanism does not involve ugly/noisy velcro

3. Very high quality - meaning more expensive then most but Q deserves the best bag

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1388289-REG/billingham_bl500102_01_72_camera_bag_black.html

• Like 3

Thank you all for your recommendations.The Peak Design 5L bag looks good and may be the one I like the most, but I do not know if it is too big to move alone with the Q; Maybe a little disproportionate for the Q?IIs the strap long enough to carry it like a side bag?

Many thanks.

I don't feel it is, but then I always have other stuff to schlep along too.

The Peak Design 5L bag looks good and may be the one I like the most, but I do not know if it is too big to move alone with the Q; Maybe a little disproportionate for the Q?

IIs the strap long enough to carry it like a side bag?

I carry an M w/75mm lens and a Q in my PD 5L bag.   Plus batteries, lenspen, and a filter or two.  That uses up all the space -- my wallet, keys, sun glasses, etc. have to live elsewhere.   That is not an issue for me.

The strap is long enough to wear cross shoulder, over one shoulder, or can be attached in different way to use as a fanny pack.  I've used it each way, but mostly cross shoulder.  Strap length is easily adjusted so I can make it short so the bag rides high up on my back when not in use, or long when I want the bag mostly in front of me.   Changing from over shoulder to fanny pack style is a bit of a pain.

I think PD has videos of the bag in use on their web site.  It the best bag (so far) for me.  Only you will know if it will work for you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As the Q is my first Leica I thought a bag similarly well designed and made was appropriate.  I went with an Oberwerth FREIBURG.  Oberwerth bags are a bit crazy in pricing but no different in reality that what Leica's cost in the camera world.  It is handsome, superbly made, doesn't shout "camera", and fits the Q and some accessories very well.  Made in Germany.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I went with an Oberwerth FREIBURG.

I looked at Oberwerth's web site. Those bags look very nice. They seem a little larger than necessary, though. Would you take a couple of photos of your bag open, with the camera and other stuff inside and post them here? I'd like to see how well it fits a Leica Q and other typical items.  I think others might like to see it too.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still looking for a bag for my Q.

I am wanting to find a small size bag, that when I want it I can use it inside my backpack. The idea is one in which only the camera enters, without a lot of space, since at the most I would put the charger or some extra battery. I have noticed the following ones. Could someone advise me?

-Domke F-5XA (190.5 x 101.6 x 152.4 mm)
-Domke F-5XB (241.3 x 101.6 x 152.4 mm)
-One Bond Street (203 x 165 x 101 mm)

I do not see much difference in size between the two Domke, but maybe I would shoot for the smaller of the two.

Looking forward to your experiences and opinions,

Thanks in advance!

I'm using the Wotancraft Ryker in Black/Purple, but this photo might give a good size

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica Q in on pocket, flash in another and X1D goes down in the middle - my travel setup.

• Like 1