kyeo

Best bag / messenger Bag / backpack recomendation for Leica Q?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, RMF said:

Yes, I have a PD 5L as well as a 10.5 IPad Pro (with an Apple cover) and it will fit in the inside rear sleeve; its really tight but it will work.

Thank you for the good news 😁Are you using it for quick editing?

2 hours ago, IamTheDistance said:

That was the info I was looking for. I have some bags at home, but they're big backpacks (Off Toco and Hakuba) which is overkill when I go out for street photography, or waist bags/fanny bags. I want to buy something like a fanny bag but I little bit bigger with enough room for a Leica M10 + Leica Q and an iPad Pro 11". So do you think this set fit in the PD Sling 5L?

The iPad Pro 11" fits, without a case or cover anyway. Whether an M10 and a Q will both fit is going to depend a lot on what lens you fit to the M ... It will be somewhat tight and will depend to some degree on how large the lens you fit on the M10 as well as whether you are stuffing the other pockets on the Everyday Sling 5L. There's enough room to fit both cameras with a little padding between them, but IMO it's too tight a fit: You can only get the iPad in or out if you take out both cameras, and the zipper just closes. The problem is the 5L is a somewhat slim bag, front to back, and can't accommodate both cameras and their lenses without having to 'stretch' around them. That puts pressure on the iPad too, which I'm a little leery about. 

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4820/46304150352_dbcee3fa0c_b.jpg&key=5840f54da2af5b11288201d28d67d11a130442a9b6ae954179a6c0d6fd598b9e">

Everyday Sling 5L stuffed tight with iPad Pro 11", Leica M-D + Summicron-M 50mm and Leica CL + Pentax-L 43mm lenses 

For these two cameras and iPad, I'd pick the Everyday Sling 10L or the Wotancraft Easy Rider. With either of them, you can fit the cameras and iPad in and out with ease, without putting any stress on the bag or its contents, and they're still nicely small and comfortable. The Easy Rider or ES10L are a bit large to use as a fanny pack, but are both very comfortable as a sling or shoulder carry bag. 

G

My older iPad Pro 9.5" with case is 6 3/4" wide, 9 1/2" tall.   The 9 1/2" dimension barely fits in my PD 5L.   The 6 3/4" dimension is too long for me to zip up the bag.   If I take my iPad out of its case I can fit it in the PD 5L with my Q and M+75mm lens provided I don't have too much in the inner zip-pocket.  The width without the case is 6 5/8".   I don't think I'd be comfortable storing my iPad that way.

21 hours ago, ramarren said:

The iPad Pro 11" fits, without a case or cover anyway. Whether an M10 and a Q will both fit is going to depend a lot on what lens you fit to the M ... It will be somewhat tight and will depend to some degree on how large the lens you fit on the M10 as well as whether you are stuffing the other pockets on the Everyday Sling 5L. There's enough room to fit both cameras with a little padding between them, but IMO it's too tight a fit: You can only get the iPad in or out if you take out both cameras, and the zipper just closes. The problem is the 5L is a somewhat slim bag, front to back, and can't accommodate both cameras and their lenses without having to 'stretch' around them. That puts pressure on the iPad too, which I'm a little leery about.

Everyday Sling 5L stuffed tight with iPad Pro 11", Leica M-D + Summicron-M 50mm and Leica CL + Pentax-L 43mm lenses 

For these two cameras and iPad, I'd pick the Everyday Sling 10L or the Wotancraft Easy Rider. With either of them, you can fit the cameras and iPad in and out with ease, without putting any stress on the bag or its contents, and they're still nicely small and comfortable. The Easy Rider or ES10L are a bit large to use as a fanny pack, but are both very comfortable as a sling or shoulder carry bag. 

G

Thanks for the photo. That helped a lot and finally I bought the bag today. For the M10 I'm using a 35mm summarit with lens hood and both cameras fit ok! I have not an iPad Pro, but the Mini 2 fits perfectly with both cameras. 

16 hours ago, marchyman said:

My older iPad Pro 9.5" with case is 6 3/4" wide, 9 1/2" tall.   The 9 1/2" dimension barely fits in my PD 5L.   The 6 3/4" dimension is too long for me to zip up the bag.   If I take my iPad out of its case I can fit it in the PD 5L with my Q and M+75mm lens provided I don't have too much in the inner zip-pocket.  The width without the case is 6 5/8".   I don't think I'd be comfortable storing my iPad that way.

Thank you for the information! I'm leaving the idea of buying an iPad Pro for editing on the go so I will do it at home.

17 hours ago, marchyman said:

That's interesting. I've been carrying the iPad Pro 9.7" (with both back cover and keyboard cover fitted) in my PD 5L since I got the PD 5L. It's a snug fit but it goes right in and out. I just changed out the iPad Pro 9.7" for the 11" model: that fits snugly without a case. The PD 5L works best with this iPad when I'm carrying cameras other than the Leica M-D or CL—like the Polaroid SX-70, Light L16, or Voigtländer Perkeo II—because these cameras are slimmer with fewer protrusions. The PD 5L works fine carrying the Leicas (and a second/even a third lens) if I'm not carrying an iPad. 

The better case for use with the iPad Pro 11" is the PD 10L or Wotancraft Easy Rider. These have a more rectangular shape with much more space fore to aft to accommodate the lens depth. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, IamTheDistance said:

Thanks for the photo. That helped a lot and finally I bought the bag today. For the M10 I'm using a 35mm summarit with lens hood and both cameras fit ok! I have not an iPad Pro, but the Mini 2 fits perfectly with both cameras. 

The iPad mini is a much smaller machine than the iPad Pro 9.7 or 11 models! I have an iPad mini3, it fits in nearly any of my cases easily. It's fine for JPEG previews and such; while it can process raw files, it's a bit too tight on RAM and too low on processor power to do it efficiently. 

This photo compares the sizes of the iPad Pro 12.1", iPad mini3, iPad Pro 11", and iPhone 8 Plus. They're all very similar in thickness when in a case...

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4849/45456019125_23f72b1236_b.jpg&key=f9c39940cf3964e3cdba2d99a8180188e3c3b3b3a3c0200e59fadf9e8dfeca01">

I've taken to carrying the iPhone 8 Plus only when I'm not going to be doing any image processing in the field. :)

1 hour ago, ramarren said:

The iPad mini is a much smaller machine than the iPad Pro 9.7 or 11 models! I have an iPad mini3, it fits in nearly any of my cases easily. It's fine for JPEG previews and such; while it can process raw files, it's a bit too tight on RAM and too low on processor power to do it efficiently. 

This photo compares the sizes of the iPad Pro 12.1", iPad mini3, iPad Pro 11", and iPhone 8 Plus. They're all very similar in thickness when in a case...

I've taken to carrying the iPhone 8 Plus only when I'm not going to be doing any image processing in the field. :)

Good info, thank you! Yes, my iPad Mini 2 has an old iOS version and I can't use some apps and of course I can't edit DNG files on it. I usually go to a coffee/restaurant after a street photography session and I like to check or edit my photos (only jpegs) on my phone while drinking coffee. Now I want to edit DNG files so a newer iPad is necessary but well, it's just a whim😅 I can edit the photos and drink coffee at home!

Just a note: PhotoRAW can process DNG files on lower powered iPads that can't take the latest iOS versions. It just does it very slowly compared to using it on a iPad Pro ... :D

It's occasionally useful to have raw processing available which is how I used it before the Pro models came out. 

On 9/30/2018 at 8:49 PM, kyeo said:

I'm still looking for a bag for my Q.

I am wanting to find a small size bag, that when I want it I can use it inside my backpack. The idea is one in which only the camera enters, without a lot of space, since at the most I would put the charger or some extra battery. I have noticed the following ones. Could someone advise me?

-Domke F-5XA (190.5 x 101.6 x 152.4 mm)
-Domke F-5XB (241.3 x 101.6 x 152.4 mm)
-One Bond Street (203 x 165 x 101 mm)

I do not see much difference in size between the two Domke, but maybe I would shoot for the smaller of the two.

Looking forward to your experiences and opinions,

Thanks in advance!

Again: I have a Domke F-5XB, inside is the leica-Q; a  divider on the left side for cards and SDHC-card-USB adaptor and some other small items; divider right side for several spare batteries and battery charger with cable; some texts in the back inside and some on outside pocket, absolutely not cramped inside easy to take out the camera and shoot. There is also a little dose with wax for the inside (never used, but it came with the F-5XB). very good padding with two padded dividers. I have this already a long time and it travels a lot, no wear. I had other bags before but since I do not carry extra lenses, I carry the F-5XB. I am totally satisfied.

I have the model/color that has the DOMKE label on the front flap. Looks good.

Edited by LexS

On 10/25/2018 at 12:23 PM, wellfleet said:

For those who like messenger style bags, I'd check out the Waterfield bags. I have two, the smaller one for the Q and the larger one for the SL, both with different size waterproof Timbuk2 inserts, which no longer may be available. Both bags are waxed canvas and quite water repellant, so far.

For the Q - the Vitesse Cycling Musette - https://www.sfbags.com/collections/shoulder-messenger-bags/products/vitesse-cycling-musette

For the SL - https://www.sfbags.com/collections/shoulder-messenger-bags/products/vitesse-messenger-bag

I have two Waterfield bags and love them. Coincidentally, I have been looking at these two bags, specifically the Vitesse Musette. From what I read and watched so far, it seems like it’d be a great bag to carry my phone, wallet, iPad Pro 12.9” or MacBook Pro 13”, and maybe a book. The only question that remains is how would I safely carry my M10.

How are you carrying the Q in the Musette? Can you share pictures?

1 hour ago, marcdecarli said:

I have two Waterfield bags and love them. Coincidentally, I have been looking at these two bags, specifically the Vitesse Musette. From what I read and watched so far, it seems like it’d be a great bag to carry my phone, wallet, iPad Pro 12.9” or MacBook Pro 13”, and maybe a book. The only question that remains is how would I safely carry my M10.

How are you carrying the Q in the Musette? Can you share pictures?

I'm using Timbuk2 inserts in each bag, but that won't help you as those inserts are no longer made. I think it was the extra small for the Musette. I would suggest looking for a messenger or camera bag insert that would fit. Maybe a Tenba or Dome would work.