kyeo

Best bag / messenger Bag / backpack recomendation for Leica Q?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/13/2018 at 8:52 AM, Le Chef said:

Out of curiosity what defines “looks like a camera bag”? Does that differ by country/region?

Here in Austin TX, most people wear messenger bags. They're flat, not boxy, and they don't have a camera company's logo on them. They don't have red dots. The leather straps have a clumsy buckle or loop fitting, not the simple squeeze metal fastener that every camera bag has. And if you have one of these messenger bags, normally made by J. Crew, or L. L. Bean, or Timbuk 2, then you don't look like someone carrying an expensive camera, especially if you're riding a bicycle. You're probably just delivering messages for the man. But if you have a squarish boxy bag, like no bike messenger would ever use, then you're probably someone with a large expensive camera. Hey, I'm not a thief, everybody knows these things!

Thieves are usually opportunists.

Doesn't matter what you have. Women's handbag, or leave your camera on the table.  

Safest option is a super market plastic bag, with a bunch of celery sticking out the top... ;). But that's not cool, or practical.

Best option is always wear your camera.

I use the peakdesign everydaysling, packed with:

Leica M6 with motordrive attached plus one lens attached  (Summicron 50 or Voigtlander 28) plus IIIf with Summicron 50/2.0 plus 2nd lens plus lightmeter OR 3rd lens for M6.

All weather sealed. Small, practical, great to handle. I think it will fit perfect for your Leica plus Charger etc.

There are many far to expensive "must have" bags out there. Just my 2 cents. It's you who has to decide...

Feel free to check out my pic on Instagram @ earthphoto.

Edited by earthphoto

several years ago my wife and i were in london and at the Tate--    as part of an exhibition they had a burlap messenger bag for sale at the gift shop... i bought it... i put my Q in an optech foam bag and put that in the messenger bag when i am city walking.... when i am traveling the Q goes into a Fogg bag (which the billingham is a doppelgänger for)...

both have enough room for extra batteries

I use the ArcEnCiel insert in my normal non-camera-grade messenger bags. It's a little taller than it needs to be, but protects my Q perfectly without any sense of "hey, there's a camera in here!" like you get with Ona and other dedicated camera bags, even without red dots on them. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077FLS5Z9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For those who like messenger style bags, I'd check out the Waterfield bags. I have two, the smaller one for the Q and the larger one for the SL, both with different size waterproof Timbuk2 inserts, which no longer may be available. Both bags are waxed canvas and quite water repellant, so far.

For the Q - the Vitesse Cycling Musette - https://www.sfbags.com/collections/shoulder-messenger-bags/products/vitesse-cycling-musette

For the SL - https://www.sfbags.com/collections/shoulder-messenger-bags/products/vitesse-messenger-bag

In case anyone is interested in Peak Design bags - they're up on massdrop now with 15% off and free shipping within US.

On 10/10/2018 at 4:26 PM, likealot said:

This is indeed like searching for the Holy Grail. [...]

It has come to this? The Holy Grail?

On 8/21/2018 at 1:49 PM, marchyman said:

The PD 5L feels better to me than the Ona Bowery that it replaced.  It maintains its shape but I'd not call it overly stiff.

I ditched my Ona Bowery because it was just too boxy and screamed Manbag. Basically one compartment so limited capacity.

Replaced with a PD 5L, that also fits my DJI Spark perfectly, and I like the flap design of the 5L with the extra storage for batteries, filters etc.

On 8/16/2018 at 9:40 PM, Questions said:

I like my ONA The Bowery for photowalks!

I'm also a big fan of the ONA The Bowery.

Peak Design 5L Sling is very well made, but a bit too techy.
Even if I own the Everyday backpack 30L and 20L, I like to have a more classy look for my man's purse to carry along all day.

It's big enough to fit my Leica Q and a M7 with 50mm Summicron.

My iPhone XS Max, a small notebook, pen, microfiber cloth and a couple of filters fill up the rest of the space.

I own the black leather model, but I don't think it's on sale anymore. Other models are very cool though (leather or canvas).

update: I upgraded my iPad from the iPad Pro 9.7" to the new iPad Pro 11". I just checked: the new iPad fits in the Peak Design Everyday Sling 5L nicely (and snugly, sans case). The Q is about the same size as my CL fitted with either the Pentax-L 43mm or Leica Summilux 35mm lenses, and that fits in just fine with a bit of room to spare, and not too much spare room either. (The M-D fits in nicely too, presuming a similarly compact lens.) I use the Everyday Sling quite a lot these days, usually without carrying the iPad, because it sits very comfortably and securely on my back when I'm riding my bicycle and slides around to my front-side easily, with the strap lengthened, when I'm walking and shooting. It holds its shape well, but is quite comfortable regardless. I've gotten more comments on it than on any other bag I've used... it's trim and people seem to find it attractive, it doesn't sing out "EXPENSIVE CAMERA INSIDE!", and it sits so tidily and snugly on my back that I sometimes forget I'm wearing it. 

If I need to carry more than that, the Wotancraft Easy Rider, the 10L version of the Everyday Sling, the Billingham L2, and the Black Label Bag "Oskar's One Day Bag Mark II" are my upsize choices in order of increasing size. (The Easy Rider and the Everyday Sling 10L are actually about the same size but they have different shapes and carry more or less depending on what I'm trying to stuff in them. :) Both have the nice feature of straps that compress portions of the bag when carrying a bit less, and can carry a modest tripod with external straps too.)

The Incase Ari Maricopolus (sp?) bag is really nice too, but it is way too big for just a Q (or CL, or M) and an iPad IMO; it's big enough to fit both pad and laptop, two cameras (including the SL) and several lenses and accessories. 

On 12/9/2018 at 11:25 PM, ramarren said:

update: I upgraded my iPad from the iPad Pro 9.7" to the new iPad Pro 11". I just checked: the new iPad fits in the Peak Design Everyday Sling 5L nicely (and snugly, sans case). The Q is about the same size as my CL fitted with either the Pentax-L 43mm or Leica Summilux 35mm lenses, and that fits in just fine with a bit of room to spare, and not too much spare room either. (The M-D fits in nicely too, presuming a similarly compact lens.) I use the Everyday Sling quite a lot these days, usually without carrying the iPad, because it sits very comfortably and securely on my back when I'm riding my bicycle and slides around to my front-side easily, with the strap lengthened, when I'm walking and shooting. It holds its shape well, but is quite comfortable regardless. I've gotten more comments on it than on any other bag I've used... it's trim and people seem to find it attractive, it doesn't sing out "EXPENSIVE CAMERA INSIDE!", and it sits so tidily and snugly on my back that I sometimes forget I'm wearing it. 

If I need to carry more than that, the Wotancraft Easy Rider, the 10L version of the Everyday Sling, the Billingham L2, and the Black Label Bag "Oskar's One Day Bag Mark II" are my upsize choices in order of increasing size. (The Easy Rider and the Everyday Sling 10L are actually about the same size but they have different shapes and carry more or less depending on what I'm trying to stuff in them. :) Both have the nice feature of straps that compress portions of the bag when carrying a bit less, and can carry a modest tripod with external straps too.)

The Incase Ari Maricopolus (sp?) bag is really nice too, but it is way too big for just a Q (or CL, or M) and an iPad IMO; it's big enough to fit both pad and laptop, two cameras (including the SL) and several lenses and accessories. 

That was the info I was looking for. I have some bags at home, but they're big backpacks (Off Toco and Hakuba) which is overkill when I go out for street photography, or waist bags/fanny bags. I want to buy something like a fanny bag but I little bit bigger with enough room for a Leica M10 + Leica Q and an iPad Pro 11". So do you think this set fit in the PD Sling 5L?

1 hour ago, IamTheDistance said:

That was the info I was looking for. I have some bags at home, but they're big backpacks (Off Toco and Hakuba) which is overkill when I go out for street photography, or waist bags/fanny bags. I want to buy something like a fanny bag but I little bit bigger with enough room for a Leica M10 + Leica Q and an iPad Pro 11". So do you think this set fit in the PD Sling 5L?

I would check with Peak’s website where they tell/show you what will fit each bag they make. I have a 5L and can fit a 2nd generation iPad Air, 1 camera body and two smaller lenses in the main pocket, and tat like spare spectacles, phone, keys, wallet, spare battery and memory cards in the front pocket.

35 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

I would check with Peak’s website where they tell/show you what will fit each bag they make. I have a 5L and can fit a 2nd generation iPad Air, 1 camera body and two smaller lenses in the main pocket, and tat like spare spectacles, phone, keys, wallet, spare battery and memory cards in the front pocket.

Thanks! Peak Design told an iPad Pro 10.5" doesn't fit but I've also read some people on the Internet that they fit their 10.5" iPad pros and now Ramarren said his 11" iPad Pro fits ok. I don't know what's happening hahaha

2 minutes ago, IamTheDistance said:

Thanks! Peak Design told an iPad Pro 10.5" doesn't fit but I've also read some people on the Internet that they fit their 10.5" iPad pros and now Ramarren said his 11" iPad Pro fits ok. I don't know what's happening hahaha

Yes, I have a PD 5L as well as a 10.5 IPad Pro (with an Apple cover) and it will fit in the inside rear sleeve; its really tight but it will work.