Best bag / messenger Bag / backpack recomendation for Leica Q?

kyeo

2 hours ago, IamTheDistance said:

That was the info I was looking for. I have some bags at home, but they're big backpacks (Off Toco and Hakuba) which is overkill when I go out for street photography, or waist bags/fanny bags. I want to buy something like a fanny bag but I little bit bigger with enough room for a Leica M10 + Leica Q and an iPad Pro 11". So do you think this set fit in the PD Sling 5L?

The iPad Pro 11" fits, without a case or cover anyway. Whether an M10 and a Q will both fit is going to depend a lot on what lens you fit to the M ... It will be somewhat tight and will depend to some degree on how large the lens you fit on the M10 as well as whether you are stuffing the other pockets on the Everyday Sling 5L. There's enough room to fit both cameras with a little padding between them, but IMO it's too tight a fit: You can only get the iPad in or out if you take out both cameras, and the zipper just closes. The problem is the 5L is a somewhat slim bag, front to back, and can't accommodate both cameras and their lenses without having to 'stretch' around them. That puts pressure on the iPad too, which I'm a little leery about. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Everyday Sling 5L stuffed tight with iPad Pro 11", Leica M-D + Summicron-M 50mm and Leica CL + Pentax-L 43mm lenses 

For these two cameras and iPad, I'd pick the Everyday Sling 10L or the Wotancraft Easy Rider. With either of them, you can fit the cameras and iPad in and out with ease, without putting any stress on the bag or its contents, and they're still nicely small and comfortable. The Easy Rider or ES10L are a bit large to use as a fanny pack, but are both very comfortable as a sling or shoulder carry bag. 

G

My older iPad Pro 9.5" with case is 6 3/4" wide, 9 1/2" tall.   The 9 1/2" dimension barely fits in my PD 5L.   The 6 3/4" dimension is too long for me to zip up the bag.   If I take my iPad out of its case I can fit it in the PD 5L with my Q and M+75mm lens provided I don't have too much in the inner zip-pocket.  The width without the case is 6 5/8".   I don't think I'd be comfortable storing my iPad that way.

21 hours ago, ramarren said:

The iPad Pro 11" fits, without a case or cover anyway. Whether an M10 and a Q will both fit is going to depend a lot on what lens you fit to the M ... It will be somewhat tight and will depend to some degree on how large the lens you fit on the M10 as well as whether you are stuffing the other pockets on the Everyday Sling 5L. There's enough room to fit both cameras with a little padding between them, but IMO it's too tight a fit: You can only get the iPad in or out if you take out both cameras, and the zipper just closes. The problem is the 5L is a somewhat slim bag, front to back, and can't accommodate both cameras and their lenses without having to 'stretch' around them. That puts pressure on the iPad too, which I'm a little leery about.

Everyday Sling 5L stuffed tight with iPad Pro 11", Leica M-D + Summicron-M 50mm and Leica CL + Pentax-L 43mm lenses 

For these two cameras and iPad, I'd pick the Everyday Sling 10L or the Wotancraft Easy Rider. With either of them, you can fit the cameras and iPad in and out with ease, without putting any stress on the bag or its contents, and they're still nicely small and comfortable. The Easy Rider or ES10L are a bit large to use as a fanny pack, but are both very comfortable as a sling or shoulder carry bag. 

G

Thanks for the photo. That helped a lot and finally I bought the bag today. For the M10 I'm using a 35mm summarit with lens hood and both cameras fit ok! I have not an iPad Pro, but the Mini 2 fits perfectly with both cameras. 

16 hours ago, marchyman said:

My older iPad Pro 9.5" with case is 6 3/4" wide, 9 1/2" tall.   The 9 1/2" dimension barely fits in my PD 5L.   The 6 3/4" dimension is too long for me to zip up the bag.   If I take my iPad out of its case I can fit it in the PD 5L with my Q and M+75mm lens provided I don't have too much in the inner zip-pocket.  The width without the case is 6 5/8".   I don't think I'd be comfortable storing my iPad that way.

Thank you for the information! I'm leaving the idea of buying an iPad Pro for editing on the go so I will do it at home.

17 hours ago, marchyman said:

That's interesting. I've been carrying the iPad Pro 9.7" (with both back cover and keyboard cover fitted) in my PD 5L since I got the PD 5L. It's a snug fit but it goes right in and out. I just changed out the iPad Pro 9.7" for the 11" model: that fits snugly without a case. The PD 5L works best with this iPad when I'm carrying cameras other than the Leica M-D or CL—like the Polaroid SX-70, Light L16, or Voigtländer Perkeo II—because these cameras are slimmer with fewer protrusions. The PD 5L works fine carrying the Leicas (and a second/even a third lens) if I'm not carrying an iPad. 

The better case for use with the iPad Pro 11" is the PD 10L or Wotancraft Easy Rider. These have a more rectangular shape with much more space fore to aft to accommodate the lens depth. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, IamTheDistance said:

Thanks for the photo. That helped a lot and finally I bought the bag today. For the M10 I'm using a 35mm summarit with lens hood and both cameras fit ok! I have not an iPad Pro, but the Mini 2 fits perfectly with both cameras. 

The iPad mini is a much smaller machine than the iPad Pro 9.7 or 11 models! I have an iPad mini3, it fits in nearly any of my cases easily. It's fine for JPEG previews and such; while it can process raw files, it's a bit too tight on RAM and too low on processor power to do it efficiently. 

This photo compares the sizes of the iPad Pro 12.1", iPad mini3, iPad Pro 11", and iPhone 8 Plus. They're all very similar in thickness when in a case...

I've taken to carrying the iPhone 8 Plus only when I'm not going to be doing any image processing in the field. :)

1 hour ago, ramarren said:

The iPad mini is a much smaller machine than the iPad Pro 9.7 or 11 models! I have an iPad mini3, it fits in nearly any of my cases easily. It's fine for JPEG previews and such; while it can process raw files, it's a bit too tight on RAM and too low on processor power to do it efficiently. 

This photo compares the sizes of the iPad Pro 12.1", iPad mini3, iPad Pro 11", and iPhone 8 Plus. They're all very similar in thickness when in a case...

I've taken to carrying the iPhone 8 Plus only when I'm not going to be doing any image processing in the field. :)

Good info, thank you! Yes, my iPad Mini 2 has an old iOS version and I can't use some apps and of course I can't edit DNG files on it. I usually go to a coffee/restaurant after a street photography session and I like to check or edit my photos (only jpegs) on my phone while drinking coffee. Now I want to edit DNG files so a newer iPad is necessary but well, it's just a whim😅 I can edit the photos and drink coffee at home!

Just a note: PhotoRAW can process DNG files on lower powered iPads that can't take the latest iOS versions. It just does it very slowly compared to using it on a iPad Pro ... :D

It's occasionally useful to have raw processing available which is how I used it before the Pro models came out. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2018 at 8:49 PM, kyeo said:

I'm still looking for a bag for my Q.

I am wanting to find a small size bag, that when I want it I can use it inside my backpack. The idea is one in which only the camera enters, without a lot of space, since at the most I would put the charger or some extra battery. I have noticed the following ones. Could someone advise me?

-Domke F-5XA (190.5 x 101.6 x 152.4 mm)
-Domke F-5XB (241.3 x 101.6 x 152.4 mm)
-One Bond Street (203 x 165 x 101 mm)

I do not see much difference in size between the two Domke, but maybe I would shoot for the smaller of the two.

Looking forward to your experiences and opinions,

Thanks in advance!

Again: I have a Domke F-5XB, inside is the leica-Q; a  divider on the left side for cards and SDHC-card-USB adaptor and some other small items; divider right side for several spare batteries and battery charger with cable; some texts in the back inside and some on outside pocket, absolutely not cramped inside easy to take out the camera and shoot. There is also a little dose with wax for the inside (never used, but it came with the F-5XB). very good padding with two padded dividers. I have this already a long time and it travels a lot, no wear. I had other bags before but since I do not carry extra lenses, I carry the F-5XB. I am totally satisfied.

I have the model/color that has the DOMKE label on the front flap. Looks good.

Edited by LexS
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 10/25/2018 at 12:23 PM, wellfleet said:

For those who like messenger style bags, I'd check out the Waterfield bags. I have two, the smaller one for the Q and the larger one for the SL, both with different size waterproof Timbuk2 inserts, which no longer may be available. Both bags are waxed canvas and quite water repellant, so far.

For the Q - the Vitesse Cycling Musette - https://www.sfbags.com/collections/shoulder-messenger-bags/products/vitesse-cycling-musette

For the SL - https://www.sfbags.com/collections/shoulder-messenger-bags/products/vitesse-messenger-bag

I have two Waterfield bags and love them. Coincidentally, I have been looking at these two bags, specifically the Vitesse Musette. From what I read and watched so far, it seems like it’d be a great bag to carry my phone, wallet, iPad Pro 12.9” or MacBook Pro 13”, and maybe a book. The only question that remains is how would I safely carry my M10.

How are you carrying the Q in the Musette? Can you share pictures?

1 hour ago, marcdecarli said:

I have two Waterfield bags and love them. Coincidentally, I have been looking at these two bags, specifically the Vitesse Musette. From what I read and watched so far, it seems like it’d be a great bag to carry my phone, wallet, iPad Pro 12.9” or MacBook Pro 13”, and maybe a book. The only question that remains is how would I safely carry my M10.

How are you carrying the Q in the Musette? Can you share pictures?

I'm using Timbuk2 inserts in each bag, but that won't help you as those inserts are no longer made. I think it was the extra small for the Musette. I would suggest looking for a messenger or camera bag insert that would fit. Maybe a Tenba or Dome would work.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

My first message on this forum. First, please excuse my english, I'm way better in french. :)

I don't even have a Q yet...I've reserved a second hand Leica Q-P in a store in Paris the day before the lock down...So I've spent the last month looking for a bag. 😷

Here is a short list, of bags I've been looking at (for some, I only saw them on a computer screen). You'll note that these are not cheap, mostly because leather made.

- Wotancraft Mini Rider (+Magician M). It's not even a camera bag ; it may looks like a purse, but you can adjust the way to wear it, as it does have an "under the shoulder strap", which is very cool for those who are driving bikes. I don't know a brand which does such quality bags (but of course, prices aren't cheap). I've had a Ryker from them (sold it because it was heavy). I was about to buy that Mini Rider in black leather but my wife sincerely said : "It's so nice !!".  I'm reluctant now.  https://www.wotancraft.tw/product/mini-rider-v2-black-leather

- Oberwerth Q Bag : It's a really nice bag, specially made for the Q serie. Very classy, very chic, maybe a bit too Hello doctor..Hey I'm not a doctor. I've been able to touch one...the leather is nice, the construction is very impressive... but if you are picky on the leather quality (like I do), check Wotancraft's products instead. There is also the Frankfurt, which I find really nice with the mix canvas/leather, but the Q Bag will probably match the Leica Q more. 😉 https://www.oberwerth.com/en/shop/camera-bags/classic/84/the-q-bag/leica-q2-tasche   

- Ona Bowery : another purse like bag. I've had one for 2 years, to store a Voigtlander R4A and films. It's a nice bag, well made (my advise is to choose the canvas version, Ona's leather isn't the greatest) https://onabags.com/products/the-bowery?variant=30872547328045

- CAM-IN LCB003 : between a purse and a (very classy) toilet bag, but apparently well made (in China) with nice Italian leather. Availables in three sizes, and 3 or 4 colors. No straps, it's just made to store your camera, or to be stored in a bigger bag.  https://www.ebuy7.com/item/efeehbccgdfb

-Angelo Pelle London pouch : the camo version is something, and I know Angelo Pelle' quality.

My wife said NO to the Camo, so it's no, Ostrich is not for me. https://www.angelo-pelle.com/product/london-pouch

- Artisan & Artist ACAM 75 : I've heard very good things about this bag/pouch, but the attachment system (an elastic strap) isn't necessarly the best idea. From feedbacks I've seens, it does protects well, and looks nice. http://www.artisan-n-artist.com/product_detail.php?id=260

- Does it has a name ?  This one is more like a lens pouch, but with leather all around. Apparently the M size is the one for the Q, but if you have the lens hood, the L might be the one to choose. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=173586965913

• Like 1

I used several camera bags for my DSLR setups , but i need a bag where i can stow beneath the camera also other stuff.L

So last Sunday i found and then bidded for a Swiss Made Freitag Messenger bag und i won it.
Freitag Bags are made of used trailer tarp and the F18 REX Model Messenger bag i found is the biggest one and
designed for bicycle couriers as he can be used like a backpack.
For photographers use comes hand that this model has two staps on the bottom where a tripod could be mounted.
There is still enough space for a light raincoat, a collapsible umbrella, a agenda, and there is a laptop pouch and a bigger outside pouch.
Should i need more space i can turn the camerabag 90° as the messenger bag is very wide on the bottom.

This Bag has no shock absorbing material so the camera, the Metz Strobe and the ELP52 are in a LowePro NOVA 160 camera bag safely stowed.

Chris

Edited by PhotoCruiser

vor 11 Stunden schrieb G.B.O.:

Here is a short list, of bags I've been looking at (for some, I only saw them on a computer screen). You'll note that these are not cheap, mostly because leather made.

Yes they are not cheap, but all of them are beautiful.

The choice for the right camera bag is a very personal choice as each one has his own needs for the use he makes.
If you mostly walk around in Paris safe quarters and shoot street you need another bag than the one you would use for nature photography in the fields.
Also you should know what you will carry around, just the camera or more things go inside the bag.

I personally would not buy a leather bag for two reasons:
1° They need maintenace and are not the best solution if it's raining
2° if you should go to the tropics, the leather will start to build up ugly white mold
3° they are heavier than fabric style bags
4° they look expensive and that may attract thiefs and that is a big argument for me

The Artisan camera bag is basically good, but the rubber band to keep it closed is uncomfortable to open as you have to pull it out of the bag to open the pouch.
I have my camera bag usually open so that i can pull out the camera without pulling out the whole camera bag.

Chris

11 hours ago, G.B.O. said:

Hi,

My first message on this forum. First, please excuse my english, I'm way better in french. :)

I don't even have a Q yet...I've reserved a second hand Leica Q-P in a store in Paris the day before the lock down...So I've spent the last month looking for a bag. 😷

- Wotancraft Mini Rider (+Magician M). It's not even a camera bag ; it may looks like a purse, but you can adjust the way to wear it, as it does have an "under the shoulder strap", which is very cool for those who are driving bikes. I don't know a brand which does such quality bags (but of course, prices aren't cheap). I've had a Ryker from them (sold it because it was heavy). I was about to buy that Mini Rider in black leather but my wife sincerely said : "It's so nice !!".  I'm reluctant now.  https://www.wotancraft.tw/product/mini-rider-v2-black-leather

- Oberwerth Q Bag : It's a really nice bag, specially made for the Q serie. Very classy, very chic, maybe a bit too Hello doctor..Hey I'm not a doctor. I've been able to touch one...the leather is nice, the construction is very impressive... but if you are picky on the leather quality (like I do), check Wotancraft's products instead. There is also the Frankfurt, which I find really nice with the mix canvas/leather, but the Q Bag will probably match the Leica Q more. 😉 https://www.oberwerth.com/en/shop/camera-bags/classic/84/the-q-bag/leica-q2-tasche   

- Ona Bowery : another purse like bag. I've had one for 2 years, to store a Voigtlander R4A and films. It's a nice bag, well made (my advise is to choose the canvas version, Ona's leather isn't the greatest) https://onabags.com/products/the-bowery?variant=30872547328045

- CAM-IN LCB003 : between a purse and a (very classy) toilet bag, but apparently well made (in China) with nice Italian leather. Availables in three sizes, and 3 or 4 colors. No straps, it's just made to store your camera, or to be stored in a bigger bag.  https://www.ebuy7.com/item/efeehbccgdfb

-Angelo Pelle London pouch : the camo version is something, and I know Angelo Pelle' quality.

My wife said NO to the Camo, so it's no, Ostrich is not for me. https://www.angelo-pelle.com/product/london-pouch

- Artisan & Artist ACAM 75 : I've heard very good things about this bag/pouch, but the attachment system (an elastic strap) isn't necessarly the best idea. From feedbacks I've seens, it does protects well, and looks nice. http://www.artisan-n-artist.com/product_detail.php?id=260

- Does it has a name ?  This one is more like a lens pouch, but with leather all around. Apparently the M size is the one for the Q, but if you have the lens hood, the L might be the one to choose. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=173586965913

Add Fogg to your list - see website link below.  The Soprano is excellent if you just want to carry the Q and not much else.  The new Satchmo bag looks interesting - first Fogg bag in leather.

https://www.foggspecialistbags.com

I love Peak Design, and was happy to see that the Everyday Sling 3L is a perfect fit for the Lecia Q/Q2.  It even leaves some rooms for small little accessories and comes with straps IF you want to carry around a small tripod.

https://www.peakdesign.com/collections/everyday-bags/products/everyday-sling?variant=31374288027725&gclid=Cj0KCQjwy6T1BRDXARIsAIqCTXoaLKeqHwgQBzYhdao12fJyki8ywqxC3m8lXmM35nNLXaFJu3PjY0kaAq2gEALw_wcB

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Timeslip:

love Peak Design, and was happy to see that the Everyday Sling 3L is a perfect fit for the Lecia Q/Q2.

I checked their website and found a lot of interesting things who seems to be well engineered and sturdy made for a good price.

Chris