Best bag / messenger Bag / backpack recomendation for Leica Q?

kyeo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I looked at Oberwerth's web site. Those bags look very nice. They seem a little larger than necessary, though. Would you take a couple of photos of your bag open, with the camera and other stuff inside and post them here? I'd like to see how well it fits a Leica Q and other typical items.  I think others might like to see it too.

I'm sorry for the delayed reply as we're on a cross country road trip and I haven't been checking in.  The Oberwerth is definitely not too large.  It holds the Q nicely in the center and the charger and cord on one side and spare batteries on the other side.  There is a small pocket for SD cards and other small accessories.  I'll post pics as soon as I can.

a few pics of the Oberwerth.  Excuse the cell phone pics.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

another

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

another

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is indeed like searching for the Holy Grail. Different people have different preferences. I have looked long and hard at this and still havent managed to get what I want. For me a Billingham bag style is unusable in the UK where these bags are seen as "man bags" and are seen as very uncool and "an old man's bag". A messenger type bag is not comfortable in all situations either. The ideal bag for me would be a backpack which is made out of leather and is smaller than the normal size (around 15 x 12inches). Finding it aint easy.

The Incase Ari Marcopoulus Bag is a great bag. Wears very comfortably if you like sling bags. Rain cover and wide strap. I don't like bags with flimsy straps much.

• Like 1

I love the ONA Bowery bag for my Q, my lunch, my iPad, and a few other things. It's ergonomic, sturdy, and doesn't look like a camera bag, but it totally is. The ONA Bond Street bags are great too. Leica sells these same bags with red dots on them if you like that sort of thing.

Edited by Cartaufalous

The Billingham 72 is a great bag. It takes my Q with lens hood, hand grip, finger loop and Thumbs Up all fitted and ready to go. Just pull the camera out of the bag using the loop. Spare batteries and SD cards go in the front pocket and the charger is at home, in my hand luggage or my hotel room!

There is one small problem. The internal top flap doesn't lie flat with the finger loop attached to the hand grip. The workaround is to fold the top flap down into the bag. This actually results in a better, firmer fit for the camera. When travelling you can, if you wish, remove the finger loop (pop it in the bag) and return the flap to its normal position.

Why carry more when you can carry less? 😀

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jayk said:

The Billingham 72 is a great bag. It takes my Q with lens hood, hand grip, finger loop and Thumbs Up all fitted and ready to go. Just pull the camera out of the bag using the loop. Spare batteries and SD cards go in the front pocket and the charger is at home, in my hand luggage or my hotel room!

There is one small problem. The internal top flap doesn't lie flat with the finger loop attached to the hand grip. The workaround is to fold the top flap down into the bag. This actually results in a better, firmer fit for the camera. When travelling you can, if you wish, remove the finger loop (pop it in the bag) and return the flap to its normal position.

Why carry more when you can carry less? 😀

I agree. I have many bags of all shapes and sizes, but Billingham 72 is by far my favorite for the Q - for the exact same reasons you listed. However there is one more very important feature that should be highlighted - Billingham bags are built to be used in heavy downpours (not just water resistant), so given that Q is not weather sealed this is actually very imporant.

1 hour ago, howiebrou said:

Ask a thief. He probably has the best idea!

That's why I'm asking. People seem to be able to define what its not, but not what it is. It's about perception: if you see someone carrying a bag what about it says "this is a camera bag"? Important to know before you buy surely?

12 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

That's why I'm asking. People seem to be able to define what its not, but not what it is. It's about perception: if you see someone carrying a bag what about it says "this is a camera bag"? Important to know before you buy surely?

I think it is generally quite obvious that if you carry a squarish or rectangular bag that it is a camera bag. A backpack less so but unless you never take your camera out to use, it will soon be pretty evident what is in your bag. I think the important things are to keep your bag secure and in front of you when in crowded areas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Le Chef said:

I think a couple of things scream "steal me." Leather trim. Brass hardware. Badges on the front. The more expensive it looks, the more it's likely to get jacked, whether it looks like a camera bag or not. If if looks really cheap and really beat up and really generic, regardless of shape, nobody is going to steal it. I suppose in that sense a plastic bag would be least likely to get lifted. 

I bought a ThinkTank Retrospect 5 in a discontinued color for about $80. Funky material weave in a bland color of blue-grey that looks like crap as it wears. Check. No branding. Check. Built like a tank. Check. Looks like I bought it at the dollar store. Check. The handle on the top slips over the handle of my rolling suitcase. Check.

The Q barely fits in it with a charger and extra batts. Nobody looks twice at it and I've carried it all over the place in parts of rough towns at night that you wouldn't even want to drive through. I finally got the decision down between the Retro and a surplus musette bag for $15. And the Retro resembles a slightly upscale musette with more padding and pockets. Best bag I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot. I love traveling with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dadohead said:

I suppose in that sense a plastic bag would be least likely to get lifted. 

Jane Bown, a well renowned Fleet St. photographer used to do just that: carry her camera equipment in a plastic showing bag. How mollycoddled our equipment has become!

Is anyone looking for a Leica EverReady case for the Q? I have one in good condition for $200. It is a lovely thing but doesn't work for me because there is no room for the lens shade, that I leave on always. So Luigi is making me a custom case (for way more money!) and this should find a better home than I'm ever going to give it. Message me if interested.

Here are pictures of the Leica EverReady case I'm selling. It has been used and is well-patinaed, but not abused, scuffed, or scratched.