Replaced sensor bad already?

Likaleica

Don't know, but I'm pretty sure I didn't smash my thumb up against it which is what it looked like.  

All ordinary sensor cleaning fluids do is shunt any grease around the sensor, they don't lift it off the sensor. So if any grease has been shunted up to the corner of the sensor then this is what it looks like because the corners are the most difficult to clean.

• Like 1

Is your lens new or has it been recently serviced?

I had something similar happen on my M8 years ago while on a trip no less. Turns out that my new Voigtlander lens threw off just a smidgen of lubricant, something new mechanical devices often do. Unfortunately, even a minuscule amount has an overwhelming effect when splattered on a photo sensor.

• Like 3

I did have a new lens on the camera, so maybe.  But the sensor in the other camera is ok and I used it there as well.

It may simply have been a question of timing. As I recall, I’d already had my Voigtlander for a few months and shot it withou incident before it threw off a bit of lubricant. Given everything you’ve written, the photos you’ve posted and my experience with the Voigtländer, I’d say this is the most logical answer. The good news, though, is that it’s unlikely to happen again, at least not with the same lens.

I just received the camera back and I honestly feel like creating a separate thread about how happy I am with Leica USA.  I bought this camera used from someone in the UK after Wetzlar replaced the sensor.  Original warranty is long expired.  Right after I noticed the issue I sent them the camera 10 days ago.  They estimated a 4 week turn around, but I received it back one week to the day after they received it.  They checked it out and did not charge me for anything, including shipping.  

I've heard and read gripes about the USA service and if that really happened those people have my empathy.  But I am one happy customer and will have no hesitation using them again.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got his email from Leica AG this morning (along with many).  Nice to see that the policy remains in place.  It makes me feel very confident continuing to use my CCD based Monochrom camera.

Latest information about the CCD sensors of the Leica M9 / M9-P / M Monochrom / M-E camera models 
(price change)

Ladies and Gentlemen,

We would like to inform you about a change in the terms and conditions of the replacement program for corroded sensors that affected some M9, M9-P, M Monochrom and M-E camera models. 

Until further notice, we will be continuing to offer free replacement of affected sensors for the camera models stated above that were purchased as new products within the past five years. 

For all camera models listed that were purchased over five years ago, we offer our customers the following program: from 12/1/2018 onwards, the customer pays a contribution amounting to $1,595.00 plus tax and shipping for the replacement of the affected CCD sensor. 

In addition to this, the program also includes a free general overhaul* of your Leica M camera and a one-year warranty with the same terms as for new products. This offer expresses our commitment to conserving the long-term usability of your camera. 

Our upgrade program will continue to be offered as an alternative option. Instead of a sensor replacement, we offer our customers the alternative of sending us their camera affected by sensor corrosion as partial payment toward the purchase of selected Leica M-Camera models of the Typ 240 generation and the M10 at even more attractive terms. Leica Customer Care will be pleased to inform and advise interested customers about the terms and conditions of the upgrade offer.

With regard to the above, we would like to remind you that the replacement of CCD sensors and the upgrade offers apply only to cameras confirmed to be affected by this specific problem, and only to the models of the Leica M-System we have listed.

Should you be uncertain about whether your camera is affected, Leica Customer Care will be pleased to help you on the phone at (201) 995-0051 or via email at repair@leicacamerausa.com. If you wish to visit us at Customer Care in person, please arrange an appointment with us in advance. 

*The general overhaul of the Leica M-camera includes the following items:

• Cleaning and overhaul of the shutter cocking mechanisms
• Cleaning and maintenance/repair of the multifunction wheel
• Cleaning of the main switch and shutter speed dial
• Adjustment of the baseplate locking system
• Refurbishing of engravings
• Renewal of the protective film on the baseplate
• Maintenance/repair of viewfinder displays   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

I got his email from Leica AG this morning (along with many).  Nice to see that the policy remains in place.  It makes me feel very confident continuing to use my CCD based Monochrom camera.

Have Leica increased the price of exchanging the sensor?

Wasn't it only US$1000 before?

Edit: I've just seen the email.  Leica now want 1550 euros including tax to change the sensor, that's a 500 euro increase!

I'm not sure how that price increase can make anyone feel confident about using their M9.  Soon, it will be cheaper just to buy a used one.

Edited by silverchrome

6 hours ago, silverchrome said:

Have Leica increased the price of exchanging the sensor?

Wasn't it only US$1000 before?

Edit: I've just seen the email.  Leica now want 1550 euros including tax to change the sensor, that's a 500 euro increase!

I'm not sure how that price increase can make anyone feel confident about using their M9.  Soon, it will be cheaper just to buy a used one.

Yes, but that goes for any repair on an ageing digital camera.

On 8/27/2018 at 7:05 PM, Likaleica said:

I just received the camera back and I honestly feel like creating a separate thread about how happy I am with Leica USA.  I bought this camera used from someone in the UK after Wetzlar replaced the sensor.  Original warranty is long expired.  Right after I noticed the issue I sent them the camera 10 days ago.  They estimated a 4 week turn around, but I received it back one week to the day after they received it.  They checked it out and did not charge me for anything, including shipping.  

I've heard and read gripes about the USA service and if that really happened those people have my empathy.  But I am one happy customer and will have no hesitation using them again.

If all it was, as you said, grease/crap on the sensor cover, this should be a quick and easy service for any qualified party.... even Leica NJ.  Most places do it in an afternoon.

Jeff

• Like 1

Personally, I think this is the first step in the process of cancelling the policy. 

I'm surprised someone hasn't started a separate thread about this because the massive price increase is going to render corroded M9s valueless. 

People were selling corroded M9s on the bay for £700 to 800 pounds a while back.  With the price increase, I'd be surprised if they'd get £300 now.

People who were putting off the repair aren't going to be too pleased either but, at least this time, Leica sent out notice and warned them.  Although the short deadline before the introduction of the new policy leaves a little to be desired.

9 hours ago, jaapv said:

Yes, but that goes for any repair on an ageing digital camera.

15 hours ago, silverchrome said:

Personally, I think this is the first step in the process of cancelling the policy. 

I'm surprised someone hasn't started a separate thread about this because the massive price increase is going to render corroded M9s valueless. 

People were selling corroded M9s on the bay for £700 to 800 pounds a while back.  With the price increase, I'd be surprised if they'd get £300 now.

People who were putting off the repair aren't going to be too pleased either but, at least this time, Leica sent out notice and warned them.  Although the short deadline before the introduction of the new policy leaves a little to be desired.

I admit it is not very elegant from a marketing point of view if I were Leica my choice would have been different,, but let's be realistic, these cameras are getting on in years, at least in the digital world.

• 1 month later...