Replaced sensor bad already?

Likaleica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought a used MM that had been to Wetzlar for sensor replacement and came with the certificate to prove it.  Just noticed this in the lower left of the sensor (upper right on image).

It kind of looks like a thumbprint but it wouldn't come off with sensor cleaner.

Is this corrosion again?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

here's another one with full contrast to show all the crap on the sensor

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Send an image to CS in Wetzlar, and they’ll confirm. Best to set the aperture to f/22, focus at infinity and take an image of a blank uniform wall - that will give you a clear image of the sensor.

Early sensor replacements were just putting a new sensor of the same design and make as the faulty version. It was only later that an improved sensor was developed.

• Like 1

here's another one with full contrast to show all the crap on the sensor

Which CCD ID do you have? 52 or 53? If 52, the sensor replacement most probably was still the mk(I), obviously prone to corrosion again...

Edited by AlbertTRAL
  • Like 1

There is a hidden service menu "body debug data" which can be brought up as follows:

Power on

Delete -> up (2x) -> down (4x) -> left (3x) -> right (3x) -> Info

This shows the service menu.

Scroll down and up using the arrow buttons.

Press Set to select an item

Gently press the shutter release to leave item.

Press Info again for the menu

Scroll down and under Hardware IDS, you can get the following in the MM pressing the set button as said:

CCD ID: 53

CCD Board: 52

Control BRD: 52

M16CID: 0

CCD ID 53 > MK II ... CCD ID 52 > MK I ... supposedly as per information reported in the forum... but obviously always better to ask Leica's CS... ;-)

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/272556-determining-new-sensor-m9/page-1

Edited by AlbertTRAL
  • Like 1

Wow, that's great information.  

I went through the process and it is sensor ID 53

Since I'm in the US I contacted Leica in New Jersey.  They said they could replace the sensor within 4 weeks.  If true, that will be a new land speed record.

I do have another monochrom camera I can use in the meantime - my M3

• Like 1

Guest tofu_man

it doesn't look like corrosion to me....it looks like greasy crap that's been smeared across the sensor

Good luck anyway; hopefully it just needs a good clean :)

• Like 1

A mk2 sensor with corrosion! Oh dear.

Fingers crossed it's something else, but definitely not "greasy crap."  Unless someone else has been sticking his/her fingers in there.  And it didn't come off with solvent.  I don't live in a salty environment, in fact it's very dry here.  Thanks for everyone's comments.  I'll post the progress.

• Like 2

I am happy to report that my sensor was merely soiled, much more than mere dust.  It was "greasy crap."  

How I do not know.  I suspect gremlins or daemons.  

Nevertheless, I am also very pleased about the turnaround from Leica USA, less than a week ship to ship time.  

So, no evidence of corrosion on ID 53 sensors!

Edited by Likaleica
  • Like 6

Use a sensor cleaning fluid specifically made for removing greasy crap and oil. This will remove greasy crap, but it can also leave drying marks, so remove the drying marks with the ordinary cleaning fluid. So it's often a two stage process in the early life of a new camera, but the greasy crap stops being thrown off by the shutter after a while. So I wonder if Leica re-greased the shutter when they changed the sensor and re-introduced the spitting problem in your pre-owned camera?

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 3