23mm and 18mm lenses

Hi John,

The lenses cover APS-C however the Leica SL (full frame camera) mount is the same and they can be used, the SL changes to APS-C coverage automatically at 10MP.  So, they can be used on full frame Leica cameras only in APS-C format. 

I would think Leica will continue to do the same with any further camera development. 

Btw- the full frame Leica SL lenses can also be used on the T. 

The T is very attractive at the current used prices, it continues to be a great camera.   

• Like 1

Hi John,

The lenses cover APS-C however the Leica SL (full frame camera) mount is the same and they can be used, the SL changes to APS-C coverage automatically at 10MP.  So, they can be used on full frame Leica cameras only in APS-C format. 

I would think Leica will continue to do the same with any further camera development. 

Btw- the full frame Leica SL lenses can also be used on the T. 

The T is very attractive at the current used prices, it continues to be a great camera.   

The original T is so well priced now. 

I've used my SL 50 1.4 on my original T and it is excellent.

I'm also thinking that when the SL2 comes out, with more megapixels, that the TL lenses will have even more practical use.  Superb IQ and maybe even a boost up to the 24mp range (albeit as APSC). The TL lenses perform really nicely at 24mp on the current Cl and TL2, and on the 16mp original T.

Paid $375 for body, extra battery. and regular strap lugs. Fred Miranda forum. Was going to resell it but now I think I’m going to keep it.

I made a video about the camera.

https://youtu.be/hJTQUTp53hs

Edited by John Ricard
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I watched this revue. It gets boring here ....for instance the manual focus works perfectly for me, so many tips given aside by Jono slack on this topic, e.g. you get a shimmering in the viewfinder at any magnification which tells you focus is spot on. My Leica T feels like a just released camera every day I take it out . When the TL2 happens for me, it is for the ISO and dynamic range purely.

• Like 1

Paid $375 for body, extra battery. and regular strap lugs. Fred Miranda forum. Was going to resell it but now I think I’m going to keep it.

Good get.  Prices may go back up after photokina.   The bling thing has it's advantages for users, cheap prices when specs are exceeded or newer bling arrives.  

Edited by darylgo

...the manual focus works perfectly for me

Turns out I was actually mistaken about how the focus aid works. Not exactly sure how I turned it on, but now, when I use the Leica M lenses with the cheap Photodiox adaptor, I can turn the left knob to get the magnified focus view.  Because of that, I am keeping the camera.  Just trying to decide if I'd rather have the 18mm or the 23mm.  I think the 18mm focal length is more useful, but I'd rather own an F2 lens on a crop camera rather than an F2.8 since I like the shallow depth of field effect and I like the light gathering ability of a fast lens.  So I'm not sure what I'll do.

Turns out I was actually mistaken about how the focus aid works. Not exactly sure how I turned it on, but now, when I use the Leica M lenses with the cheap Photodiox adaptor, I can turn the left knob to get the magnified focus view.  Because of that, I am keeping the camera.  Just trying to decide if I'd rather have the 18mm or the 23mm.  I think the 18mm focal length is more useful, but I'd rather own an F2 lens on a crop camera rather than an F2.8 since I like the shallow depth of field effect and I like the light gathering ability of a fast lens.  So I'm not sure what I'll do.

I also think 18mm may be more useful , but I prefer the rendering of the 23 .

Get both . 

You can also rent from lensrental.com to decide .

Turns out I was actually mistaken about how the focus aid works. Not exactly sure how I turned it on, but now, when I use the Leica M lenses with the cheap Photodiox adaptor, I can turn the left knob to get the magnified focus view.  

Was this one hidden in the firmware update? I'll have to check it out.

• Like 1