Which camera to take to Iceland?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Please note, l have also posted this in Q forum.

Hi all,

I will be visiting Iceland for the first time this October and l am unable to make up my mind on whether to take the Q or the SL with 24-90. I know the SL is more versatile and of course weather proof, but I am leaning towards the Q for the following reasons:

- I mostly shoot at 24mm with the SL, and the Q’s lens is more like 26 so very close to the SL setup.

- That 28 mm lens is astonishingly good

- It is so light and more “manoeuvrable”

However, in SL’s favour is better dynamic range and of course better focal length coverage. I think weather sealing is not important to me as I would never put my cameras in “harm’s way”.

l would be very interested in your thoughts particularly if you have taken any of these cameras to Iceland or similar locations.

Thank you in advance.

Reza

Take everything.

Decide what goes in the camera bag based on the weather and the itinerary for the day. 

If your baggage is overweight, leave something unimportant behind like toiletries, jewellery, lounge suit, morning suit, toupee and tuxedo ....... 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi.

I am just back from 2 weeks in Iceland.

I brought the SL, 24-90, 90-280, M-L adapter, SEM 21, Lux 50 M asph, Voigt 15 and M-P 240, plus Lee/Nisi filters kit and tripod.

I think it is really mandatory to rely on weather sealing in Iceland, without worrying for camera integrity. And yes, Iceland landscapes are beautiful even under rain. Just remember the Icelandic proverb « there is no bad weather in Iceland, only bad clothes ». It applies to photo gear as well.

I used mainly the SL with 24-90 (70%), essentially on the wide focals (24-40). 10% of my photos were taken with the M-P and Lux 50 (Reykjavik, family portraits, indoor photos, villages). 15% of my photos required the 90-280 range (puffins, seals, details or compression effect on landscape, whales watching). A little less than 5% used the SEM 21, always on SL. No more than 1% tried the Voigt 15, still on SL. I used tripod and filters every single day there.

Conclusion : although the ratios disclosed before may state that I could have leaved the Voigt 15 and eventually the M-P, my probably best photo (kirkjufelfoss) was taken with the Voigt, and it was comfortable having a back-up body in case of trouble, incident, breakage.

Last, and not least, the SL is definitely deserving its « S Light » nick-name; it is really a quasi-perfect landscape camera.

Hoping it helps,

Regards,

Stef.

P.S. : do not leave the 24-90 hood at home : it is usefull under rain. And do not consider you will not use your camera when it rains. Because you will.

Edited by Bohns
  • Like 3

If you don’t like photographing in inclement weather, don’t go to Iceland. It’s a place to hope for changing weather and light.

Buy insurance. Take a backup. Use common sense.

Oh, and take the SL with zoom, at a minimum.

Jeff

Based on several visits to Iceland, and if I was constrained to one body/lens, I would - without hesitation - pick the SL+24-90. Although biggish compared to the Q, the SL+24-90 is very versatile and robust as stated above. And it fits into a fstop Navin (now discontinued, but still available) or similar bags. I would also bring some filters (grey, gradual and polarisation) and a light-weight tripod. And viola - ready to go!

• Like 2

Thank you all for your input. The SL it is then. I also take CP, ND and ND grad filters with me everywhere I go for any camera I happen to have. I may consider taking the Q with me as well but that is unlikely.

We're going to Iceland in a little over 2 weeks and I'll be taking the SL, 16-35, 24-90 and 90-240 in a Billingham backpack. I believe there are so many photo opportunities there I would want to cover the largest focal range possible.

Just my thought.

Whatever you decide have a great time.

• Like 1

One year ago I was in iceland for two weeks ...very happy to have the SL with 24/90 with a uv filter in front of the lens ... very useful to clean frequently   and safely the lens from rain and dust .. . I suggest you a tripod for long exposures. I never have used the other M lenses on the SL. ( 50apo 18mm 135mm) I have . I also brought my MM monochrome using it 90% with the new 28mm summaron .... and with great satisfaction .!