What? Made in Japan.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

albert's Photoalbert

Today, 10:15

I just noticed that my 18-56 was made in Japan. Is this the NORMAL? Is my CL camera body also Japanese?

“Not that there’s anything wrong with it”

I spent two years guarding atomic weapons near Wetzlar and was hoping that some of my CL was manufactured in my old stomping ground.

Yes, entirely normal. TL/CL lenses are made for Leica by a 3rd party. Leica are secretive about who they use but I would guess it's Panasonic or Kyocera who they have/had other dealings with.

The body is assembled/checked in Wetzlar (the parts will come from various sources).

If Leica is putting its name on the lenses, they are going to meet the quality standards. So the lens being made in Japan is not an issue with me. I have spent a lot of time working in Japan. One thing that I have learned about the Japanese culture is if you are going to do a job, do it right the first time. 

One thing that I have noticed all of my "Japanese" Nikon equipment, was manufactured in Thailand.

• Like 2

Leica's Peter Karbe drops hints that he was very involved in the TL lens development with a Japanese partner, and learned a lot from it.  And all of the TL/CL lens set do seem to outperform the APS-C lenses from other manufacturers.  So I wouldn't worry about where they are made or designed.

The CL is made, or at least assembled, in Germany though many of the parts may be manufactured at the Leica factory in Portugal and the electronic components may well come from the far east. The TL lenses are made in Japan.

Well, R cameras were basically modified Minoltas assembled in Portugal, Leica compacts were built in Japan, some lenses were by Sigma, some by Minolta, some by Agenieux,  Leica gets its glass from Hoya, Pilkington, some filters are by Marumi,  metal shutters by Copal-Seiko and so on. 

The marketing department that managed to imprint the Wagnerian image of Gnomes slaving away deep in the Southern German forest is entirely German, if that is any consolation ;)

• Like 1

I spent two years guarding atomic weapons near Wetzlar and was hoping that some of my CL was manufactured in my old stomping ground.

With the draw of US military needs, you could have guarded the same in Japan.

• Like 2

I dont get that iPhone joke.

Made in Japan is exactly the same as Made in Germany in my mind. People from both countries are quality fanatics.

i suspect that iPhone point you don't get relates to industrial globalism which is here to stay, even though some want to turn back to industrial nationalism. The globalisation of trade and manufacturing goes back several centuries to when some countries had 'empires'. In the 20th and 21st centuries it has been developed into a fine art.

William

I dont get that iPhone joke.

Made in Japan is exactly the same as Made in Germany in my mind. People from both countries are quality fanatics.

The one exception to the Japanese quality fanaticism is Takata Airbags. 

• Like 3