Diopter Correction

Emref

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At the B&H site, for Leica, there are two kinds of  diopter correction of the same "correction" but one of them is new, states II, and is 50% more expensive.

Do you know which is the difference that justifies the price?

Thank you

Alberto

Edited by Emref

Could it be the larger diopter necessary for the M10, as opposed to the earlier version fitting from M3 onwards.

You are right!

It states:

For Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera

Thank you

Regards

Alberto

Edited by Emref
  • Like 1

On the ol' Leica rangefinders , you had a tab to adjust the diopters in the rangefinder, when the M appeared the possibilty to adjust the diopters dissapeared, and you have to spend big money for a little lens that make the job, bad move Leica....

Regards

Alberto

On the ol' Leica rangefinders , you had a tab to adjust the diopters in the rangefinder, when the M appeared the possibilty to adjust the diopters dissapeared, and you have to spend big money for a little lens that make the job, bad move Leica....

Regards

Alberto

I agree. A simple variable dioptre is preferably to trying to find the perfect fit from a very limited range at cost to the end user. It is simple to incorporate in the camera's design as has been shown on many modern cameras including Leica cameras. What restricts M users from this simple facility?

All Leitz binoculars have this variable dioptre so it must be straightforward.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The fact that other Leica cameras have an adjustable diopter suggests to me how difficult it must be to implement in an M body, especially within the existing VF thickness. Clearly Leica has heard this refrain for decades. The forum is full of discussions on this issue.

Jeff

If I recall correctly the old Leica cameras with the diopter correction lever on the rangefinder eyepiece had a separate viewfinder.  You looked through one eyepiece to focus and the other to compose.  Possibly that arrangement permitted the diopter adjustment, but the modern combined rangefinder/viewfinder does not.

Edited by Luke_Miller
  • Like 1

What on earth is difficult about providing a variable dioptre? It doesn't add to overall dimensions as can be seen on every other camera that has them. Selling dioptres probably makes money for Leica. That is a bit sad, IMO.

My eyes are longsighted and I can see to the horizon perfectly. I struggle in low light to see anything clearly within arms's length without reading glasses (spectacles).

Eventually I found the perfect dioptre for my purposes at present. Sadly this process is irreversible. Old age means it will get worse

On most cameras and binoculars there is an easily staged method of adjusting the dioptre, except with the Leica M.

The boffins at Leica HQ must be capable of solving this on their wonderful rangefinders.

Needs must ... etc., etc.

That is just the problem: for a  variable diopter  to work on a rangefinder/viewfinder one needs to adapt the strength of two telescope systems of different length but equal magnification: the viewfinder and the rangefinder patch. That can be done by changing the strength of the final ocular lens, AKA screwing in a diopter, but not by the usual method of moving a little lens inside the system.

• Like 1