Peak focusing and depth of field

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From what I can tell, peak focusing remains fixed on a single plane even if you then change the aperture from f1.7 to f16. Ideally peak focusing should indicate the expanding or shrinking plane of focus. Unless I somehow have this wrong, that’s what I would wish for in an upgrade.

Actually peaking indicates the areas with the strongest steps in contrast. It will become more prominent with smaller apertures, making it necessary to find the "middle" of the peaking zone. 

• Like 1

From what I can tell, peak focusing remains fixed on a single plane even if you then change the aperture from f1.7 to f16. Ideally peak focusing should indicate the expanding or shrinking plane of focus. Unless I somehow have this wrong, that’s what I would wish for in an upgrade.

A plane can never expand or shrink There is only one plane of focus and it (ideally) remains in the same spot independent of aperture. 

You mean DOF, which is not a defined plane but a gradual transition from acceptable sharpness to unacceptable out of focus.

• Like 3

From what I can tell, peak focusing remains fixed on a single plane even if you then change the aperture from f/1.7 to f/16.

Obviously the lens doesn't stop down as you select smaller apertures until you actually fire the shutter—similar to an SLR lens. So in order to see the effect on depth-of-field, you must explicitly close the aperture ... does the camera have a DOF preview button?

• Like 2

does the camera have a DOF preview button?

Yes, a half-press of the shutter release stops down the lens to the chosen aperture, and shows DOF in the viewfinder.

Edited by beez
  • Like 1