Sign in to follow this  
supermax

is this leica shutter curtain ok?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just got my leica m6. part of the shutter curtains got some dots and wonder if it is ok? the light meter works and camera is in good condition. i have not tried to develop any pics yet, so not sure if its leaking any light or working as it should. does anybody know what this dots are and would you return it?

While it doesn’t look normal, it also may not indicate a functional problem. However, since you question it, it is probably always going to bother you.

I also notice the metal edge of the closing curtain is quite visible at the left edge of the frame. While that doesn’t always mean a problem, it can indicate the curtain brake isn’t perfectly adjusted. When my M6 developed that condition after many years, it also had a sporadic light leak at that edge of the frame. However, my 1955 M3 shows a small amount of that, but seems to function fine. I have 5 other film M bodies, and none of them hav any of that metal edge visible when closed.

If I had bought this at a good price I might keep it, but plan to send it to DAG or Youxin Ye for a CLA service. (Any used film Leica you buy may need such a service, so I always consider that when evaluating a potential purchase.)

The cost of replacing a shutter curtain during a CLA service isn’t horrendous, so I bought an M3 with a damaged curtain (at a very good price) and had Youxin replace it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By LraStn
      Has anyone ever experienced an unexplained shadowy gradient area along the edge of the frame as shown in the photos below? 
      I've been shooting with my M10 close to a year now and I mainly use it for weddings and portraits. As a very rough estimate, I have put 15,000 clicks on it in the last year. In recent weeks, I have noticed a strange darkened area appear randomly on the  frame in some photos, but not all. It's on the right side when shooting vertically or on the bottom when shooting horizontally. I have so far only noticed it happening with photos shot with the Noctilux .95, and I can't replicate it although it continues to happen randomly.  I've uploaded a few files as example, from different days showing both the strange dark area as well as images that don't have it. I understand shooting at .95 I will have vignetting as shown in the second wedding photo, but the shadow area is very different and I don't understand why it's happening. 

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By robsonj
      - Leica M Typ 240
      - Screen protector (already on the camera, the protector has some surface scratches)
      - ThumbsUp grip
      - Leather case (unused)
      - Olympus EVF2 (logo removed, see pic)
      - RRS M240 L Bracket
      - Battery
      - Battery Charger
      - Neck strap (unused)
      - Original packaging and documents
      Everything is in fully working condition. As you can see there is some brassing on the body. The EVF2 I purchased used, the previous owner had removed the Olympus logo. The EVF works perfectly, though I didn't use it very much. The base plate is in excellent condition, it along with the leather case have been stored in the original packaging unused, I used the RRS baseplate on the camera.
      Price includes PayPal fees and insured shipping via FedEx to CONUS.
      Shutter count is hard to know, from the numbering of my dog files I'd say its in the 5000-10000 range.
      Happy to take additional photos and answer any questions.
      I have many sample shots taken with this camera on my Flickr feed for reference... https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=26449190%40N00&sort=date-taken-desc&view_all=1&text=Leica M 240
    • By Winfoto
      Leica Q, neuwertig, inclusive Original-Verpackung zu verkaufen.

• By tom0511
      Aufgrund Umstieg auf SL2 biete ich hier an:
      Leica SL Gehäuse
      sehr guter Zustand, nur privat und sehr wenig genutzt Es war von Anfang an ein Displayschutzfolie auf dem Display mit allem Originalzubehör und Originalverpackung gekauft im deutschen Fachhandel (Fotogena, Worms) Die Kamera kann auch bei mir in Bensheim nach Absprache gerne besichtigt werden. Fragen bitte gerne stellen.
      Am liebsten wäre mir Abholung gegen Barzahlung. Versand bei Vorkasse wäre auch möglich. 
      Bei Paypal müssten wir über die Gebühren reden.
      Wer nicht die 47MP der SL2 braucht, kommt hier zu einem sehr günstigen Preis den Einstieg in das SL System. Die Flexibilität - SL Objektive, M-Objektive, Voigtländer, Nikon etc., der tolle Sucher und die Leica Bildqualität und Bedienphilosophie machen für mich die SL/SL2 zu einer der universellsten Kameras, die man heute kaufen kann.