is this leica shutter curtain ok?

supermax

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just got my leica m6. part of the shutter curtains got some dots and wonder if it is ok? the light meter works and camera is in good condition. i have not tried to develop any pics yet, so not sure if its leaking any light or working as it should. does anybody know what this dots are and would you return it?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

While it doesn’t look normal, it also may not indicate a functional problem. However, since you question it, it is probably always going to bother you.

I also notice the metal edge of the closing curtain is quite visible at the left edge of the frame. While that doesn’t always mean a problem, it can indicate the curtain brake isn’t perfectly adjusted. When my M6 developed that condition after many years, it also had a sporadic light leak at that edge of the frame. However, my 1955 M3 shows a small amount of that, but seems to function fine. I have 5 other film M bodies, and none of them hav any of that metal edge visible when closed.

If I had bought this at a good price I might keep it, but plan to send it to DAG or Youxin Ye for a CLA service. (Any used film Leica you buy may need such a service, so I always consider that when evaluating a potential purchase.)

The cost of replacing a shutter curtain during a CLA service isn’t horrendous, so I bought an M3 with a damaged curtain (at a very good price) and had Youxin replace it.