Long distance One Challenge - New York 2019

StS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not sure when Easter is in 2019, but winter here seems to have shifted a month, so late April begins to feel more like spring on a day-to-day basis. You can get spring in late March, but there has been some snow as well. It also means you can travel lighter. Although Passover in 2019 starts April 19 and ends on the 27th so that makes a shopping trip to B and H or Adorama difficult. On the other hand Easter Sunday is April 21 and there is no better day in NY to take pics than the Easter parade!

Anyway whenever you settle it, I will make sure I am here, and Stu and Adam and plenty of others (speaking for them, of course).

• Like 1

A spark has lit in my dormant brain. I would love to be in, but currently I am suffering severe side effects of medical treatment that has in fact precluded me from participating in the upcoming Lyon One Challenge. Currently I cannot travel but hope with the passage of some months I will have a reprieve and might just surface to do the NY Challenge. That would please me no end. I will quietly bide my time, and watch this space.

• Like 4

Sounds excellent, great to have your interest, Steve; and Stuart's and Adam's as well. I met Stuart and Ben Lieberman in 2009 but haven't seen Ben around here for a while; he might be interested as well.

We'll keep our fingers crossed that everything works out and you can join, John. I'll be there in any case (worst, which can happen are holidays in New York :) ) and we have enough momentum to get this running.

Most feedback I got here or by PM was that people are either flexible or decide, whether they can join when the majority has settled on a day. My suggestion would be to fix a date in a week or so, for those, who like early planning in their travel schedule.

Stefan

• Like 1

Well, I'll take the snow, if I can take such a picture :)

Still close to March in terms of weather is April 13th, with only one observance, Thomas Jefferson's Birthday.

April 20th is the first day of Passover and Holy Saturday (I couldn't join on that weekend)

April 27th is the last day of Passover and Orthodox Holy Saturday.

Then there is May 4th, which means Rhode Island independence day as well as the Kentucky Derby, where both are apparently not in New York. Just for the record, another observance on this day is the National Explosive Ordnance Disposal Day.

How is the view of the One Challengers?

Stefan

Edited by StS

Well, I'll take the snow, if I can take such a picture :)

Still close to March in terms of weather is April 13th, with only one observance, Thomas Jefferson's Birthday.

April 20th is the first day of Passover and Holy Saturday (I couldn't join on that weekend)

April 27th is the last day of Passover and Orthodox Holy Saturday.

Then there is May 4th, which means Rhode Island independence day as well as the Kentucky Derby, where both are apparently not in New York. Just for the record, another observance on this day is the National Explosive Ordnance Disposal Day.

How is the view of the One Challengers?

Stefan

DSC04747-X2.jpg

• Like 1

My opinion, FWIW, is that Late April/Early May might be more suitable for two reasons.

1. That would position the Challenge mid way between the European One Challenge for each year, as was done withe the Kyoto and Australasian One Challenges, allowing participants to 'spread' their travel more evenly.

2. I suspect weather would be more temperate at the later timing in NY, but will stand to be corrected on that.

I just feed these comments in for discussion and consideration.

• Like 2

Well, looking at Tony's pictures we can check then how waterproof the M10 really is :)

My suggestion would be to collect a few more views, but I basically see two options - we can target springtime in New York, which turns out to be either April 27th or May 4th.

If we ignore weather, we are looking at March 30th or April 6th (which, for the record, is National Tartan Day, so we can consider a Scotch to close the day).

My suggestion would be to go then with what works for the majority. I hope this is OK for everyone :)

Stefan

• Like 2

Since we have a spread of preferences, it should be the fairest solution, if we put the date up to a vote.

Hence my suggestion - everyone, who is interested, can give one time two points to his preferred date and one point to all dates, which are possible. Since we are not under immediate time pressure, my suggestion would be to let the poll running for two weeks.

Is that a good solution to everyone?

Stefan

• Like 1

Stefan,

At work SurveyMonkey has been used effectively because the vote can be set up to nominate a range of dates where people simply tick the dates they're available and it becomes straightforward to work out when the most people are able to attend.  I've never set up a vote/survey with SurveyMonkey so please feel free to disregard my suggestion if you were planning to do something else. :)

Pete.

• Like 1