Long distance One Challenge - New York 2019

StS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The photographs are shot, the dinner is done, it was wonderful meeting all of you, most for the first time, I sincerely hope this is not the last challenge I can attend. 

I will develop my film as soon as I get home from the next phase of my trip and hope I got something decent in the 26 shots I managed to take within the two hour time frame. 

My choice of 400 ISO worked well, it was fast enough to allow small apertures which I used most of the time since I was zone focusing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It was great to meet you and Stephanie too, Mike, and I hope we meet again at another One Challenge or in the UK when you've relocated (good luck with that by the way!).

See all y'all!😁

Pete. 

Edited by farnz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Stuff to do on a rainy day in New York - ride the old escalators at Macy's to the top, on the uppermost floors they are still completely wooden (including the steps)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, the final night is nearly over, with the few remaining diehards enjoying a Brazilian meal on the West side.

Huge thanks to Stefan for organising such a wonderful long distance challenge. For me was great to catch up with old friends, and meet new ones too. An additional very big thank you to Adam, Steve, Stuart and Michael for giving of their time to welcome us to this great city and give us lots of local insight and guidance.

Looking forward to seeing the entries.

Safe travels home everyone! 

Edited by jcraf
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jcraf said:

Well, the final night is nearly over, with the few remaining diehards enjoying a Brazilian meal on the West side.

Huge thanks to Stefan for organising such a wonderful long distance challenge. For me was great to catch up with old friends, and meet new ones too. An additional very big thank you to Adam, Steve, Stuart and Michael for giving of their time to welcome us to this great city and give us lots of local insight and guidance.

Looking forward to seeing the entries.

Safe travels home everyone! 

Echoing John, who I hope is feeling better!   It was a real pleasure meeting everyone!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'd also like to offer my sincere thanks to Adam, Steve, Stuart, and Michael for their tips on NYC, their breadth of knowledge, and their kindness and good humour (good 'humor' to you guys😄). 

Taking timeout of your busy schedules to meet and guide us round was very much appreciated and helped make a sometimes daunting city so much more friendly. 

I didn't quite get to see everything I wanted to so there's an excuse to come back. 😊

My thanks also to Stefan for organising the event, which must have been even more difficult when English is not your first language, but everything went smoothly and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves so no more can be asked than that!

Lastly, I was overjoyed that erl and Melanie were able to make the effort to attend by travelling all the way from Australia and I wish them a safe journey home and look forward to seeing them both again in the future. 

Pete. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Well, a very big thank you to Adam, Steven, Stuart and Michael for taking the time to meet us and showing us around but also to all other participants, John, Philippe and Elisa, Pete, Simon, Mike and Stephanie, John and Melanie, Tom and Eileen for joining from distances up to Melbourne, thus making this Challenge possible.

Special thanks go to Steven for booking the restaurant and recommendating the meeting point, it was extremely helpful to have your local knowledge.

Wishing everyone safe travels

Stefan

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just landed in Amsterdam on our way back to France. Thanks to Stefan, we were so happy to see you all, albeit so briefly, especially John and Melanie, we had a great time, even managed to shoot the whole film this time...

Looking forward to see you again in Seville for The One Challenge!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Back home! Could have stayed longer, though. We explored Midtown and Battery park Monday and Tuesday morning. It'll be interesting to see "The Ones That  Didn't Quite Make It" thread later on after the 'official' one has been posted.

Again, a great experience, great company!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As a tip for the locals, since most of us will have travelled out now, the "Play it loud" exhibition in the Metropolitan Museum is worth a visit.

Something I like about the Met, you pass a row of antique statues, turn round a corner and end up in a Rock Music instruments exhibition.

Stefan

• Like 2

...just in case it is not a permanent exhibition - this completely different collection should not be missed.

Stefan

• Like 2

Hello Everybody,

It is good that everyone was here. And that so many people came with their significant others. It was also good to actually see the people who have been writing back & forth from behind avatars for a long time.

The photos that were taken & the photography & other things that were talked about were nice.

It is too bad that the time here had to end. Hopefully there will be other times to get together. 

Bon Voyage, Auf Wiedersehn, Ciao, Hasta Luego, Zai Jian,

And come back soon.

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

May the Wind always be to your Back & May it always be a Warm & Sunny Day.

"May the road rise up to meet you and may the wind be at ... etc"  An old Irish well-wishing.  Not English I'm afraid although it's translated from Irish into English.

Céad míle fáilte.

Pete.

14 hours ago, farnz said:

"May the road rise up to meet you and may the wind be at ... etc"  An old Irish well-wishing.  Not English I'm afraid although it's translated from Irish into English.

Céad míle fáilte.

Pete.

Hello Pete,

That is exactly the point: 2 thoughts in words in 1 tome.

It is interesting how in Ireland, a small Country with a History of being oppressed for Centuries by people who speak English as a first language, speaking both English & Irish (Gaelic) is both quite common & unremarkable. And yet, in a somewhat larger Country where the Irish Contribution to its well being is undeniable, paraphrasing of an Irish expression in order to include 2 groups with 1 statement is an action that merits a comment.

It is too bad that your time here was so limited & that my ability to be there as much as I had planned to was shortened by unexpected circumstance. We were never able to finish a number of interesting conversations. Hopefully we will be able to continue in the not too distant future.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht