Long distance One Challenge - New York 2019

StS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 hours ago, stuny said:

I’m embarrassed that I knew nothing of this prior to 1 hour ago, and then only because of a PM from Pete. We’re fully booked except for early Friday morning the 3rd and early Tuesday morning the 7 th. If any of you are around and available I’d really like to meet you. 

Early Friday or Tuesday would work for me, Stuart, as I fly out on Tuesday evening so If you'd like to nominate a time and a place? I'm staying near Times Square but have a subway pass of course. 

Pete. 

Edited by farnz

The proposal is an early start Friday with breakfast at this place (recommended for bread and pastries), Stuart offered to book a table:

https://balthazarbakery.com/soho/

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Balthazar/@40.7242464,-73.9972364,16z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xbf8343b3f54c1b09!8m2!3d40.7226041!4d-73.9982235

80 Spring St, New York, NY 10012

They open at 07:30 (am), since I assume that the internal clocks of most of us are still too early, my suggestion would be an early start. Personally, 7:30 would be fine for me.

Next Subway station would be Prince Street (the yellow lines N, Q, R, W, it must be a local train, since I suspect that getting out of an Express at this station works only in Hollywood :)). For those encamped in the Washington Square Hotel, walking will probably be fastest.

Stefan

Hello Everybody,

Due to circumstance I am also not going to be able to get together with everyone on Saturday during the day. I will try to do everything else as much as I can. If anyone would like to get together at any time please P.M. me & I will try. I live in a little village 40 kilometers/26 miles South West of New York City which is a local stop along the train line between New York City & Philadelphia.

Another thought: If anyone has questions about New York City & around feel free to P.M. me & I will do my best to help.

Best Regards,

Michael 

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Thanks 3

For anyone who wishes to meet for an informal nibble and guzzle this evening (Friday) then please come to the Iron Bar at the corner of 45th Street and 8th Avenue where there is a space reserved under the name of "Pete Farnz" (whoever that scoundrel might be,) at 7.30 pm. 

We don't have to stay there if we're not happy with the 'traditional US' fare and there's a rather pleasant restaurant a block away that I know which would be more plush but a little more expensive if that's what people would prefer. 

So: Iron Bar 45th & 8th for 7.30 pm ish and I hope to see everyone there.  😊

Pete.

• Thanks 1

In my view the "Iron Bar" worked out pretty well as a meeting place, the second place was better for conversation, though.

Since the question came up yesterday - the best station to meet at the "Washington Square Diner" at noon is station W 4 St Wash Sq, running the blue lines A*, C, E and the orange lines B, D, F, M. The best exit is West 3St+6AV, NE corner, leaving the subway there means passing a basketball court, the Diner is at the next intersection. Since we discussed that not everyone had used the subway, a very quick guide behind this footnote**.

Stefan

* As Duke Ellington already pointed out: "if you miss the 'A' train you'll find you've missed the quickest way to Harlem",  but since most of us are in Midtown, this would be the wrong, uptown direction.

** Colour codes are used for lines sharing the same path through central Manhattan, so A, C and E are all blue. "Uptown" means going North, "Downtown" going South. There are "Local" and "Express" trains, where the former stop at every station, while the latter is running through some. W 4 St Wash Sq is an Express stop, so it does not matter in our case. Tickets have magnetic stripes to be swiped at the automatic gates, a contact-less system known in other cities is in a test phase.

...the pen is pointing to the station, lots of more information can be found here.

Stefan

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

...while for dinner tonight, the best station should be 2 Av F of the orange F-line.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Everybody,

Stefan's directions are very good. Altho I find it easier to travel by SUBWAY in Manhattan by using the Manhattan BUS map.

The Subway stops in the Manhattan Bus map are little circles. The bus routes are different shaped shields. A Metro Card lets a person go from 1 to the other ONE TIME.

The Manhattan Bus Map shows many, but not all of the streets in Manhattan. It is most lacking of individual street names in the area where dinner is tonite.

By the way, I used to live just a few blocks from where dinner is tonite. AND due to a fortuitous change in circumstance: I may be able to be there tonite. 

Hope to see you all & sorry that I have been unable to be with everyone so far.

Best Regards,

Michael

42 minutes ago, octo said:

Rain and flat grey light when we met for lunch and bright sunlight during the afternoon. Did some of us declare 800 ASA.

At leest it gave me a chance to try out 1/10000s on my camera :)

• Like 1

800 ISO worked well on my part, I used both extremes of the scale, it was on one occasion almost too slow and at another one almost too fast.

In my experience, choice of ISO is the most critical in the Challenge, while the focal lenght can typically be balanced with a step forward or backwards.

See you guys at dinner (having dinner in mind, I just ordered a salad for lunch, but you know what happened, glad I walked a few kilometres in the afternoon).

Stefan

• Like 2