StS

Long distance One Challenge - New York 2019

Bumped into Tom Lane today who suggested, for the benefit of others, posting hotel details might help - and some of us might even end up in the same place! 

For the record, I’ll be in the Intercontinental New York Barclay, 111 E 48th from 2 to 7 May.

I know that you can’t all share the same room, but we found out last night that the room Bob Dylan lived in there was 305 [with or without Joan Baez]. 

Just saying :)

I will drop an email to “The Management”, to request it when we go in October. (Two hopes... one of which is Bob) (Thinking about this further, maybe we don't want all the other guests come knock knock knockin' to see the room :))

I hope that the doorman is still Ronnie, the same as in 2012. He was just brilliant  

PS We enjoyed Monte’s Trattoria on Macdougal Street at least twice on our last trip there.

Not fine dining by any stretch of the imagination, but good, tasty Italian food with very friendly staff and only 5 minutes walk away

http://www.montestrattorianyc.com/menu-list-price

If I were looking for a room reflecting my taste in music, I should ask for a room, which has been used by Leonard Bernstein in the past.

Strictly speaking, Bob Dylan is not the music of my generation. But then, I listen frequently to music from people who are already dead for a century or two...

Stefan

...a Jazzer would do as well.

Thinking about, I once got an upgrade to a larger hotel room in the corner of a western hotel chain. Discussing this with colleagues, I learned that the hotel had been built on an old cemetery and chinese ghosts would be in the corner of houses, so the room could be hard to rent to local customers. I can't remember any disturbance in the night, though.

Stefan

May not be able to join because of other famiy activities, I would have enjoyed showing you around my old home state, I was NYker before moving here to the desert...if events changes will do a quick fly in to join.

On 1/3/2019 at 5:24 PM, lanetomlane said:

Flights booked, out on the 16 April and back on the 7 May. Will think about hotels nearer the time. 

Thought of driving up to Boston before the big event; appreciate any comments, alternatives or recommendations from anyone the other side of the pond.

Cheers, Tom

The drive is Ok and quite easy. However, last time I did the journey by train from Manhattan and not only was it cheaper than one way rental but it also saved half a fortune on hotel parking charges. Plus in both towns, it is easier to get around by Uber than driving, or just walk. They both have good public transport systems - which is why they discourage cars. 

When we are there in October, we will fly into Boston and leave our hire car in Newark a week later, before spending time in NYC.

If Tom does this drive in reverse, I’d love to hear about the experience.