Long distance One Challenge - New York 2019

StS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bumped into Tom Lane today who suggested, for the benefit of others, posting hotel details might help - and some of us might even end up in the same place! 

For the record, I’ll be in the Intercontinental New York Barclay, 111 E 48th from 2 to 7 May.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know that you can’t all share the same room, but we found out last night that the room Bob Dylan lived in there was 305 [with or without Joan Baez]. 

Just saying :)

I will drop an email to “The Management”, to request it when we go in October. (Two hopes... one of which is Bob) (Thinking about this further, maybe we don't want all the other guests come knock knock knockin' to see the room :))

I hope that the doorman is still Ronnie, the same as in 2012. He was just brilliant  

PS We enjoyed Monte’s Trattoria on Macdougal Street at least twice on our last trip there.

Not fine dining by any stretch of the imagination, but good, tasty Italian food with very friendly staff and only 5 minutes walk away

http://www.montestrattorianyc.com/menu-list-price

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

If I were looking for a room reflecting my taste in music, I should ask for a room, which has been used by Leonard Bernstein in the past.

Strictly speaking, Bob Dylan is not the music of my generation. But then, I listen frequently to music from people who are already dead for a century or two...

Stefan

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...a Jazzer would do as well.

Thinking about, I once got an upgrade to a larger hotel room in the corner of a western hotel chain. Discussing this with colleagues, I learned that the hotel had been built on an old cemetery and chinese ghosts would be in the corner of houses, so the room could be hard to rent to local customers. I can't remember any disturbance in the night, though.

Stefan

On 1/3/2019 at 5:24 PM, lanetomlane said:

Flights booked, out on the 16 April and back on the 7 May. Will think about hotels nearer the time. 

Thought of driving up to Boston before the big event; appreciate any comments, alternatives or recommendations from anyone the other side of the pond.

Cheers, Tom

The drive is Ok and quite easy. However, last time I did the journey by train from Manhattan and not only was it cheaper than one way rental but it also saved half a fortune on hotel parking charges. Plus in both towns, it is easier to get around by Uber than driving, or just walk. They both have good public transport systems - which is why they discourage cars. 

I've actually done the drive before. We were flying Heathrow to Boston and United routed us London - New York - Denver - Boston; can you believe it? Anyway, we were coming into land at New York and I said to Eileen that there's no way I'm going to Denver and back to Boston so we rented a car on a one way hire. We actually got to Boston quicker by car than if we'd stayed on the plane. The drive isn't spectacular  and from memory took about 3, or 4 hours.

This time I'll pick the car up in New York and drive it back there on the Thursday before the challenge. We probably will only stay the first night in Boston and then tour that coast which is really nice. We did it one autumn and really enjoyed it so looking forward to seeing it at a different time of the year.

• Thanks 1

Yes, sorry for not being clear about this point, everyone can make his own choice about equipment and film/ISO setting as long the image complies with the forum rules, as outlined by Pete and Andy.

Thinking about it, having a, say, 50mm challenge sounds interesting but has to rely on everyone having the prescribed focal lenght. Especially, since such a challenge would be more challenging with an unusual focal lenght. Something we can discuss occasionally, but for New York we will stick to the proven concept that everyone makes his own choice about equipment.

Stefan

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lanetomlane said:

We’ve just booked the hotel for New York, Hotel Pennsylvania, 401 7th Avenue. Arriving Thursday the 2nd May and leaving Tuesday the 7th. We tried for the Washington Square Hotel but it was full.

Cheers, Tom

Hello Tom,

If the Hotel is full, then, most likely: Many of the people who are coming to New York for the "Challenge" have not gotten around to Posting about it here in this Thread yet.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 2

I'm not sure, whether we attact such a crowd :)

Sorry that this did not work out, Tom, I guess we won't have trouble to bump into each other, though. I remember bumping into Jacqui and Vasken in Melbourne several times, since we all fled the breakfasts of our hotels for one of the excellent cafés at Southbank (there is quite a choice).

Stefan

• Like 1