Long distance One Challenge - New York 2019

StS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, since there are no objections and having discussed this topic in Lyon, my suggestion would be to fix the date now. Saturday, 4th May 2019 it is then - or May 4th on the western side of the Atlantic.

Thank you all for your interest and looking forward to meet old and new Challengers

Stefan

• Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

Great to have you in, Steve. A bit closer to the event, when we have a good estimate about the number of participants, it would be very helpful to have local advice about a café to meet for the challenge and a restaurant for the evening dinner. I guess we will meet in Manhattan, unless someone proposes a must-try restaurant in Brooklyn, to give just an example.

Stefan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 hours ago, StS said:

Great to have you in, Steve. A bit closer to the event, when we have a good estimate about the number of participants, it would be very helpful to have local advice about a café to meet for the challenge and a restaurant for the evening dinner. I guess we will meet in Manhattan, unless someone proposes a must-try restaurant in Brooklyn, to give just an example.

Stefan

Happy to oblige. While there are plenty of good places in Brooklyn, getting everyone to a restaurant in Manhattan will prove easier and just as interesting and fun.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve started to look at details for this trip and wondered once again, if it would be worth us using the same hotel in New York. It would save us all staying in different parts of the city and I think would make it more of a social occasion. I have suggested this previously for one of the European Challenges but it was suggested by someone who rarely attends that people want to stay in different classes of hotel. If that’s the case maybe we could look at a couple of hotels in different price brackets.

Be interested to learn what others think.

Cheers, Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think most of us ended up in the same hotel or at least area in Tokyo/Kyoto and in Melbourne. I'd be happy to go along with this as well.

A recommendation I got from a regular visitor is the "New Yorker" Hotel, 481 8th Ave.

Stefan

Edited by StS

I'd be happy to look at whatever hotel is chosen, typically we stay at Hilton properties but I'm also partial to a nice Boutique, the two mentioned above look like good candidates. I would also recommend the Hilton Times Square or the Metropolitan, 569 Lexington Ave.

Edited by mikemgb
  • Thanks 1

We stayed in the Washington Square Hotel when we were over there in 2012 and will be staying there again when we visit next year.

It's in Greenwich Village, away from the madness that is Time Square, but close to the subway and lots of bars and restaurants. It was recommended to us by Virgil (of this parish) and isn't too expensive by NY standards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thinking back to my last NYC trip, all I needed is a good bed and a shower in a central location. Nice to have is an in-room safe and a coffee machine since US hotels normally don't offer breakfast; so I have to survive the way to the next coffee shop ;). I do not even need the TV since news apps will supply me with all needed information. Since I'm out of EU, WiFi is needed as well but it should be complimentary anyhow these days, like water and electricity.

Stefan

10 hours ago, StS said:

Thinking back to my last NYC trip, all I needed is a good bed and a shower in a central location. Nice to have is an in-room safe and a coffee machine since US hotels normally don't offer breakfast; so I have to survive the way to the next coffee shop ;). I do not even need the TV since news apps will supply me with all needed information. Since I'm out of EU, WiFi is needed as well but it should be complimentary anyhow these days, like water and electricity.

Stefan

Actually I have found that most US hotels do offer breakfast, it's just in the high real estate market places where a kitchen is a waste of money that they don't. 

I agree that all that is necessary is a bed and a shower, unfortunately my wife is a little more high maintenance. 😁

Who wants a crappy free hotel breakfast when you have quality hot NY bagels and smoked fish just steps away from where every you'll b?.  Come on guys, pull your heads out!!!!

Edited by A miller
  • Like 2