Long distance One Challenge - New York 2019

StS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just wondering - if we want to keep the pattern of the long distance One Challenges (also known as Australasian One Challenge), the next one would be due in 2019.

Thinking about it, Kyoto and Tokyo in 2015 had the benefit of Ritsuko's local knowledge, while Melbourne in 2017 lived from Melanie's and John's preparation and local knowledge, also from our other Australian participants.

Apparently it is helpful to have local knowledge about cafés and restaurants. Having this in mind, what about a One Challenge in New York, where we have a quite large group of very active members?

There should be plenty of flight options and if one can't find an interesting photo opportunity in New York, one should stop taking pictures.

Interested in your views

Stefan

• Like 4

Stefan

That's a very good idea.  I'd be very happy to participate. And who knows, my wife might even come as she loves New York, for the shopping opportunities that is!  And I agree that our Leica friends based in NY would guide us admirably around this wonderful city.

John

Edited by jcraf

Thanks guys for the first feedback.

To give it some more details to discuss, my first proposal would be to look at March, say, Saturday March 23rd 2019 to have a date to discuss. According to the all-knowing net, this should be still the low-tourist season (if there is any), giving a good choice of hotels while avoiding possibly cold winter months and leave people enough time for preparation. Since most of the people joining the long-distance challenge also join the One Challenge in October, it would also leave enough time between both.

In terms of organization we would need local advice about a café for the meeting where everyone declares the equipent to use and a restaurant for dinner. For the challenge itself, I can do the organzational stuff or give advice, in case someone else is interested to do it. I still have an evaluation spreadsheet courtesy of Bill Palmer. Travel is self-organized by the participants as is actually most of the Challenge.

Stefan

An excellent idea, Stefan, and I'm happy to take part.

A colleague and I mooted a similar idea for a New Year's NY Challenge 2 or 3 years ago but it turned out that harsh weather and holidays meant that there would be few NY'ers around at that time.  When I looked into it further, late March or early April seemed like the best time from weather, so I think you've got the timing right.

Pete.

• Like 1

I would absolutely join you for this, the regular One Challenge is usually 2 or 3 weeks before my employer's largest trade show which makes my attendance impossible until I retire.

New York in March or April would be very good for me, May may not work as I will be in Prague for some of it.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for your interest, guys.

A very short explanation of the One Challenge concept - we meet typically around noon in a café to declare the equipment for the challenge, meaning one lens (focal lenght), one body, one film (or 36 pictures digital with one ISO setting). Pictures must comply with forum rules (Leica body or lens or both). After this meeting, everyone has two hours time to expose his film, starting from the first picture.

In the evening everyone who is interested can join the dinner, which is just a get-together.

After the challenge, we allow a few weeks to develop the film, pick the best picture, scan it to forum rules and send it to the organizer, who will post them in an anonymous thread. Every forum member can cast votes for his top three pictures.

It's a proven concept, the One Challenge has been held so far in London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, Krakow, Valletta (Malta), Venice, Palermo, Copenhagen, Wetzlar, Istanbul, Vienna, Lisbon, and Rome and will be held in Lyon October this year.

We also had an "Australasian One Challenge" 2015 in Kyoto and 2017 in Melbourne.

The pictures from the past challenges can still be found here in the forum to get a feeling about the setting.

Stefan

Hello Tom, exellent to have Eileen and you in as well.

You might want to consider to go to B+H, pull a number, take part in the competition, have dinner and come back just in time when your number is up :) (which wouldn't work, since they are closed on Saturday for Sabbath).

I'm hesitant to tell our local members in New York that all they risk is a Saturday afternoon taking photos. The thing is, I thought the same, when I travelled 2007 to the Berlin challenge with the morning train in and the evening train out to discover, I have taken part in every single of the 10+2 competitions since then...

It's fun but sort of addictive :)

Stefan

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

To close in on the date - how is the flexibility for late March? My suggestion would be to stay clear of April, since I would expect that many people will use the numerous religious holidays in April to connect with relatives. In March, we appear to have St. Patrick's day on March 17th and Purim on March 21st.

How does Saturday, March 30th, 2019 work out for everyone?

Kind regards

Stefan

• Like 4