Leica Elpro E52 close up lens

chris_tribble

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Second set

5. M with APO 50 and ELPRO

6. M with OUFRO Macro adapter and APO 50

7. M with OUFRO Macro adapter, APO 50 and ELPRO

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

3. M with Apo-Summicron-M 50 Asph

4. M with Apo-Summicron-M 50 Asph and Elpro E52

And here you can see the problem: Low magnification with M lens alone, absurdly high magnification with M lens and Elpro E52, and no way to cover the range in-between. For the Q it's fine, but for use with M lenses the Elpro E52 (approx. +7 dpt) is way too strong. A relaunch of the Elpro 3 (+1.65 dpt) in E46 size would make more sense for M users.

And here you can see the problem: Low magnification with M lens alone, absurdly high magnification with M lens and Elpro E52, and no way to cover the range in-between. For the Q it's fine, but for use with M lenses the Elpro E52 (approx. +7 dpt) is way too strong. A relaunch of the Elpro 3 (+1.65 dpt) in E46 size would make more sense for M users.

… BUT … depends on the subject … For other smaller subjects it would be fine  

dunk 

Yeah. It depends on the subject and the lens. Will try with the 24/3.8 later.

And I made a "mistake" - I shot the pictures with the nearest focus - not with infinity. Focused at infinity the magnification will be somewhat less pronounced.

Greetings

Erik

Edited by plantagoo

… BUT … depends on the subject … For other smaller subjects it would be fine  

dunk 

Yes, but this is clearly meant as a carry-anywhere set. Some flexibility in reproduction ratio would be nice.  A lens with macro capability  and a long focus range is much more useful.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This Elpro is not uninteresting. According to the Leica notes it is strong enough to enable 1:1 using a 90 Summarit. Although the Thambar-M isn't listed (nor the APO-Summicron) I might try the Elpro out and see what it can do.

With 55mm filter thread on the 90 Cron-M, I guess you will get vignetting. Thambar-M with 49mm should be ok, vignetting-wise.

• Like 1

In order to show another alternative I join three pictures taken with a 50 mm. lens:

L1003524 using the Leitz Macro Adapter M (lens at infinite+ adapter at its shorter distance, raw as is in Bridge).

L1003525 using the Leitz Macro Adapter M (lens at 70 cm+ adapter at its longer distance, raw as is in Briidge).

L1003527 using camera and lens without any adapter at 70 cms. aprox..

I agree this adapter is rather expensive, but quality is ver good..

Francisco.

Second.

Francisco

Third.

Francisco

Habe mir heute das Elpro E52 geholt. Cooles Teil.  :)

M + APO Summicron 75 + Elpro Blende 2.8, vom Stativ.

Here is a theoretical question.  I routinely use my M10 & CL with an R lens adapter.  In terms of overall image quality (sharpness, contrast, etc.), and not considering 1:1 ratio capabilities, how would a very sharp Leitz Wetzlar Macro-Elmar-R 100 f/4 (3 CAM) lens compare to using the new ELPRO 52 on an M lens?  I am trying to decide if paying $395 for the new ELPRO 52 will give me any more "macro" capabilities considering my current macro set-up with the R 100mm macro lens.  Again, I am only interested in apparent image sharpness, color, contrast, etc. that is possible between these 2 options.

Edited by Stonewall Brigade

Here is a theoretical question.  I routinely use my M10 & CL with an R lens adapter.  In terms of overall image quality (sharpness, contrast, etc.), and not considering 1:1 ratio capabilities, how would a very sharp Leitz Wetzlar Macro-Elmar-R 100 f/4 (3 CAM) lens compare to using the new ELPRO 52 on an M lens?  I am trying to decide if paying $395 for the new ELPRO 52 will give me any more "macro" capabilities considering my current macro set-up with the R 100mm macro lens.  Again, I am only interested in apparent image sharpness, color, contrast, etc. that is possible between these 2 options.

The Elpro 52 is a useful but expensive 'add-on' if you do not have or cannot carry a macro lens. For a definitive answer to your question someone would need to post a comparison test … but I doubt if the E52 would offer better results than your Macro Elmar 100/4 R lens. It's too easy to get carried away by 'the latest Leica offering' and think that it's a 'must have'. The E52 must be a good accessory but if you already have a good macro lens it could be an unnecessary indulgence. And remember that James Lager used the Macro Elmar 100/4 R lens for the majority of the '000s of illustrations in his 'Leica An Illustrated History' trilogy … which is surely a good recommendation to continue using yours.  Furthermore, you'd likely obtain similar results to the E52 by using e.g.the Leica R 'Elpro 2'(4.92 diopter)  and 'Elpro 1' (2.51 diopter) screwed together (total 7.43 diopter) and hitched up to any lens via a 55mm stepping ring … and at a fraction of the cost of an E52 Elpro. 

However, also consider the magnifications possible with your Macro Elmar 100/4 R lens  … you do not state which, if any, extension tubes etc you use with your lens.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/121722-11-with-a-100mm-f4-macro-elmar-r/

… compare to the E52 magnification matrix    https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2018/08/leica-releases-elpro-52-close-up-lens-set/   … but also bear in mind the above Elpro 1 plus Elpro 2 option 

dunk  

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

... how would a very sharp Leitz Macro-Elmar-R 100 mm f/4 lens compare to using the new Elpro E52 on an M lens?

In terms of image quality—about equal.

But an M lens with the Elpro E52 has a very narrow working range. That's a serious restriction for general close-up work. For a useful working range, you'd need a set of at least two, better three close-up lenses of different strengths.

Edited by 01af
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I just managed to get the close up lens set at Adorama and wanted to try it out with my M10 and 75mm or 50mm. 

Silly question, but how do you focus with it? Since the viewfinder does not change, how do you know when the subject is in focus?

I bet it's easy once you know but curious if a printed manual costs Leica too much or what the reason would be to put a little note in the package saying 'Please find information regarding the lens on our website". 

I am sure you guys will know more about how to use it.

Thanks in advance,

Kate

Hi there,

I just managed to get the close up lens set at Adorama and wanted to try it out with my M10 and 75mm or 50mm. 

Silly question, but how do you focus with it? Since the viewfinder does not change, how do you know when the subject is in focus?

I bet it's easy once you know but curious if a printed manual costs Leica too much or what the reason would be to put a little note in the package saying 'Please find information regarding the lens on our website". 

I am sure you guys will know more about how to use it.

Thanks in advance,

Kate

see my posting above

see my posting above

Thank you Steve!

I've looked at that before and also just started to play with the electronic viewfinder. So I am using the 75mm f2.4, the lens is on f8 when I take the picture and literally from 3 feet until infinity the image is so blurry that you could not even guess what the subject is. 

I have to say that I am a little confused about this, I have used all kinds of teleconverters and macro adapters before and am actually quiet experienced but I can not explain myself what I am doing wrong with this one ...