Leica Elpro E52 close up lens

chris_tribble

Advertisement (gone after registration)

According to Leica Rumours, this has just been announced

https://leicarumors.com/2018/08/09/leica-elpro-e52-close-up-lens-set-announced.aspx/

Does anyone have experience which makes it possible to compare the relative performance of close-up lenses such as these and the Leica Macro-Adapter M?  I'd be interested in getting a sense of their relative merits.

Thanks!

PS - just noted that Helge has started a post in the lens thread - maybe a moderator could shift this post to the more suitable location?

Edited by chris_tribble

Leica R system 55mm thread Elpro 1 (2.51 diopter), Elpro 2 (4.92 diopter), Elpro 3 (1.66 diopter and Elpro 4 (0.75 diopter) can be sourced for considerably less  £€$ … and adapted to modern Leica primes / zooms via stepping rings. Some forum members have been using Leica R Elpros for many years and with excellent results. Search dealers s/h Leica accessory listings for the budget price solutions. 

dunk 

... to compare the relative performance of close-up lenses such as these and the Leica Macro-Adapter M?  I'd be interested in getting a sense of their relative merits.

When used in conjunction with M lenses, an Elpro (or any good-quality close-up lens) will yield much better image quality than the Macro-Adapter-M (or any kind of extension tube).

However, the working range of the Elpro 52 is rather narrow, especially with M lenses. The Macro-Adapter-M has a wider working range. If you want to cover the whole range starting at the lens' own minimum focusing distance up to a magnification of, say, 1:3 or 1:2 then you'd need a set of two or three close-up lenses of different strengths. For an M lens with 0.7 m minumum focusing distance, the first close-up lens should be +1.5 dpt. The second, maybe +2.5 or +3 dpt. The third, if desired, +5 dpt or thereabouts.

The new Elpro 52 is approximately +7 dpt which is pretty strong (too strong in my opinion) for M lenses. It suits TL lenses better.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

List of fairly commonly available (new but some only s/h) achromatic close-up lenses i.e double and triplet c/u lenses worth sourcing / buying … as distinct from the cheap single element supplementary c/u lenses which are generally not worth buying. 

http://fuzzcraft.com/achromats.html

dunk 

• Like 1

... as distinct from the cheap single-element supplementary close-up lenses which are generally not worth buying.

This is a gross exaggeration.

Sure—an achromat is always better than a single-element lens, that much is true. So when given the choice, and budget allows, you should prefer the achromatic variety over the single-element lens. But that doesn't mean single-element close-up lenses were useless, or crap, or not worth buying.

To force a non-macro lens with a short or medium focal length (such as any current M lens except the Makro-Elmar-M 90 mm) into the close-up range, basically you got three options. In order of increasing image quality, these are: (1) extension tube, (2) single-element close-up lens, (3) achromatic close-up lens. The first option is the worst. The second is somewhat better. The third is as good as a dedicated macro lens (albeit less comfortable to use, with a narrower working range).

The rule of thumb is this: If the focal length of the master lens is about ten times (or more) the focal length of the close-up attachment lens then you don't need an achromatic close-up lens; a single-element close-up lens will do. If however the focal length of the master lens is about five times (or less) the focal length of the close-up attachment lens then you better use an achromatic close-up lens.

Edited by 01af
  • Like 1

When used in conjunction with M lenses, an Elpro (or any good-quality close-up lens) will yield much better image quality than the Macro-Adapter-M (or any kind of extension tube).

Any literature upon which your point of view expressed here is based?

This is a gross exaggeration.

Sure—an achromat is always better than a single-element lens, that much is true. So when given the choice, and budget allows, you should prefer the achromatic variety over the single-element lens. But that doesn't mean single-element close-up lenses were useless, or crap, or not worth buying.

To force a non-macro lens with a short or medium focal length (such as any current M lens except the Makro-Elmar-M 90 mm) into the close-up range, basically you got three options. In order of increasing image quality, these are: (1) extension tube, (2) single-element close-up lens, (3) achromatic close-up lens. The first option is the worst. The second is somewhat better. The third is as good as a dedicated macro lens (albeit less comfortable to use, with a narrower working range).

The rule of thumb is this: If the focal length of the master lens is about ten times (or more) the focal length of the close-up attachment lens then you don't need an achromatic close-up lens; a single-element close-up lens will do. If however the focal length of the master lens is about five times (or less) the focal length of the close-up attachment lens then you better use an achromatic close-up lens.

Not my words … your interpretation.    However, 'not worth buying' because of e.g., resultant CA … which is not 'a gross exaggeration'.

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

According to Leica Rumours, this has just been announced

https://leicarumors.com/2018/08/09/leica-elpro-e52-close-up-lens-set-announced.aspx/

Does anyone have experience which makes it possible to compare the relative performance of close-up lenses such as these and the Leica Macro-Adapter M?  I'd be interested in getting a sense of their relative merits.

I've used close-up lenses as well as macro lenses, extension tubes, bellows, etc etc, many times over the years. 

Close-up lenses are nice in that they generally don't cut the light by any substantial fraction. However, they're the most limited in versatility, in that the range of their usability is generally a very short focusing range. Even cheap, single element close-up lenses can do a very nice job, depending on the subject, while high end doublets and triplets like the ELPROs can produce remarkably good quality. 

True macro lenses in full focusing mounts are generally my preference for most work in the 1:1 to 1:4 magnification range because they're simple to use and very versatile, having focusing from infinity down to whatever their maximum magnification is (usually 1:1 or 1:2) continuously variable. True macro lenses are usually the best corrected for flat field rendering and recording, but can often be used as an alternative to a standard normal or portrait tele lens, depending on focal length. 

Extension tubes and bellows systems do what macro lenses do to enable close focusing, but allow you to use a variety of other lenses for close-up work. Whether better or worse than an ELPRO type close-up lens ... well, it depends on how well the particular lens mates with the ELPRO or other close-up lens. Some do better than others. 

I currently don't have any good close-up lenses to fit my R lenses (most of which have a 60mm front filter thread, not 52 or smaller). I've been using the Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm either by itself, with the Macro Adapter-R extension tube (to net 1:2 to 1:1 magnification) or with the Focusing Bellows-R for up to about 2.7:1 magnification. I also have the bellows mount version of the Macro-Elmar-R 100mm f/4 to use with the bellows (which nets infinity to 1:1 magnification), and have used my Summicron-R 50 on it, as well as Summicron-R 90 and Elmar-R 180 lenses. It's proven a very very versatile and high quality set of close-up gear, so the new ELPRO probably isn't really worth it to me. 

• Like 1

I just grabbed an Elpro 3 from eBay for £16. Bargain. it 'should' fit on my TL 35mm summilux and with a 55-52 it will fit the summicron and 18-56 also. true?

TL 35 S'lux has 60mm filter thread so Elpro 3 will not fit without a stepping ring … and Elpro plus ring might cause vignetting 

dunk

Could you please quote?

It's printed matter (not on the Internet), and it's in German language. But then, you have eyes to see, haven't you? Make your own comparison of a non-macro lens on extension tubes and with close-up lenses.

I just grabbed an Elpro 3 from eBay for £16. Bargain. It 'should' fit on my Summilux-TL 35 mm, and with a 55-52 it will fit the Summicron and 18-56 also. True?

True. The Elpro 3 suits M lenses perfectly. But for most TL lenses it's a bit weak; you'd have more fun with Elpro 1 & 2. But then, at £16 you can't go wrong. Try the Elpro 3 on longer TL lenses such as the 55-135.

Edited by 01af