lens dilemmas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wrote in another thread that I need a good reason for taking more than just the CL and 18-56 zoom. The limitation of that lens, for my photography of people (portraits and street) and landscapes (happy holiday snaps) is lack of speed, particularly after dark. I will probably take my Apo-Summicron-M 75 but (on the reasonable argument that a big holiday needs a brand new lens) the 35TL sounds very attractive.

I use the Summilux for low iight, atmosphere, etc. and it is amazing on the CL, even more so than on any FF camera. However, it is expensive and heavy. For travel I will take my miniscule Summicron C 40, vastly improved by the APS-C crop, more or less standard focal length, plenty fast on the High-ISO performing CL.

Just a few flare test shots I took yesterday. Not disappointed, in fact, rather impressed (without lens hood!)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

And here is the SX24 on the street at night :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

I’ve not been to India (yet), but I have been to Nepal a number of times - I have, on various trips, taken an FE and FM2, 500CM and a Minox. The best lens combination I have found (ignoring size and weight) is a moderate fast tele (180/2.8), fast standard lens (my preference is a fast 50) and a wide zoom for most use.

Unless you’re heading north into the mountains, I’d leave the tele behind. So, a fast prime (50, 75 or 90) and a nice wide zoom, 16-35 full frame equivalent, would be my pick. Matching a full frame camera and APS-C also increases your options significantly (16-35 gives 24-52 fov in APS-C). I’ve wanted to go to India for a long time - I would take my TL2 as a compact backup for my SL.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

I use the Summilux for low iight, atmosphere, etc. and it is amazing on the CL, even more so than on any FF camera. However, it is expensive and heavy. For travel I will take my miniscule Summicron C 40, vastly improved by the APS-C crop, more or less standard focal length, plenty fast on the High-ISO performing CL.

Just a few flare test shots I took yesterday. Not disappointed, in fact, rather impressed (without lens hood!)

flare1.jpg

flare2.jpg

flare3.jpg

The 35 1.4 is my good friend.

I’m about to pull the trigger on the 55-135

I’ve not been to India (yet), but I have been to Nepal a number of times - I have, on various trips, taken an FE and FM2, 500CM and a Minox. The best lens combination I have found (ignoring size and weight) is a moderate fast tele (180/2.8), fast standard lens (my preference is a fast 50) and a wide zoom for most use.

Unless you’re heading north into the mountains, I’d leave the tele behind. So, a fast prime (50, 75 or 90) and a nice wide zoom, 16-35 full frame equivalent, would be my pick. Matching a full frame camera and APS-C also increases your options significantly (16-35 gives 24-52 fov in APS-C). I’ve wanted to go to India for a long time - I would take my TL2 as a compact backup for my SL.

Cheers

John

I rarely use a telephoto beyond 135, except the SL 90-280 for indoor use at events, and I don't plan to take the SL. 

At the moment I could go without buying anything new: CL, 18-56TL, Summilux-M 35 FLE and ApoSummicron-M 75 (or Apo-Summicron-M 50), and Huaweii P10 for backup.

But that seems a waste of a good excuse to get something new :)

No, not going to the mountains. Following up some family history in Kolkata and Varanasi, then the hotspots of Agra, Jaipur and Udaipur.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

You need the Hubble for that from where you are.

Seriously - the lens you need is determined by your subject, not by a general forum query.

Just ordered the 55-135. Now, I can sneak up on your village. Thanks, seriously, for the work you do and the help you give.

My dealer in Rancho Mirage must wait for a new shipment. Any available ??

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just ordered the 55-135. Now, I can sneak up on your village. Thanks, seriously, for the work you do and the help you give.

My dealer in Rancho Mirage must wait for a new shipment. Any available ??

Can’t find one anywhere. Maybe Leica is about to release a better clone.

The CL sales have far outstripped Leica's projections, and as a result they are experiencing shortages of these lenses, world wide, because of the high demand. Leica is a small company and the lenses are not made in huge volumes like those of other manufacturers, so it simply takes time for them to complete another manufacturing run and get new inventory into the distribution chain.

Place and order well in advance of your need with a reliable dealer, and then be patient. Your lens will arrive when it arrives. :)

Can’t find one anywhere. Maybe Leica is about to release a better clone.

There is one available online here:

https://www.foka.nl/product/12201235/leica-11083-apo-vario-elmar-tl-55-135mm-f-3-5-4-5-asph-zwart?utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=feed%20&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_source=kieskeurig

I don't know whether they ship to the USA.

The CL sales have far outstripped Leica's projections, and as a result they are experiencing shortages of these lenses, world wide, because of the high demand. Leica is a small company and the lenses are not made in huge volumes like those of other manufacturers, so it simply takes time for them to complete another manufacturing run and get new inventory into the distribution chain.

Place and order well in advance of your need with a reliable dealer, and then be patient. Your lens will arrive

when it arrives. :)

I just cancelled my order. I’m waiting for the next release. For now, I’m quite happy with the 35mm 1.4 and the kit 18-56. I will wait.