Leica M2’s shutter speed dial rotation direction more intuitive

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After couple of months of using manual film cameras (Konica autoreflex T2, Nikon FM2 and Leica M2), I find M2’s shutter speed dial rotation direction intuitive. Once I set A and T, the other combinations for same EV requires moving both A and T in the same direction by equal amount. To me this is more intuitive than moving them in opposite direction to keep same EV.

The other camera’s (and my M240) dial turns in opposite direction but they have meter and I adjust exposure while looking through VF. Probably that’s why the shutterspeed direction doesn’t bother me much for them (M240 even tells me which way to go by LED arrows). I mean I am not looking at both A and T from the top while adjusting exposure (for M2 I look at the dials from the top). However it is a pain to go against muscle memory while switching between cameras.

I do see that at some point Leica changed the direction. Am I only one who thinks older direction is intuitive!

Edited by jmahto

Did they change rotation only in M6 TTL ?

I had M3, M4-P and M4-2 now. All are the same. I could set any shutter speed without looking on the disk. It helps then I can't see dials in the dark. Then it is with metering camera, it all doesn't mater :)

I do not care which direction they turn as long as there is consistency between cameras.

Yes. Consistency would have been nice but digital M and M2/M3 are opposite (possibly till much later). Maybe they changed later to align with under/over exposing LED direction in the VF (so that both A and T move in same direction for similar effect of exposure). Some may find that intuitive.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Did they change rotation only in M6 TTL ?

Yes they did. When I got my M6TTL at first it seemed a bit odd but the novelty only lasted a week before I could use it just as intuitively as any other body. Maybe just the feel of the larger dial flicked the switch in my head, but I could use the TTL or older body alongside each other. It's how frequently you use the camera, that's all, no magic.

Yes they did. When I got my M6TTL at first it seemed a bit odd but the novelty only lasted a week before I could use it just as intuitively as any other body. Maybe just the feel of the larger dial flicked the switch in my head, but I could use the TTL or older body alongside each other. It's how frequently you use the camera, that's all, no magic.

Exactly. I have no issues with M4-2 and M-E. I could have them on me by same time and no dial disk issues.

But when you have two cameras (digital M and M2/M3) that go opposite then what do you get used to!

I still have 17 operational cameras, so I program myself to get used to the one I'm using at the time.

Edited by spydrxx