Leica Elpro 52

APA_Leica

Has anyone seen the specs? I looked at a number of postings: I find only general descriptions.

Does anyone know the diopter magnification  or what the focal range would be for a 50mm lens?

I guess the table here http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-APS-C/Accessories/Elpro-52 is the closest ;) you get...

I think you can use the Macro-Adapter-M together with an adaequate lens and the new Elpro 52.   Though the focussing range will be very very small, and one can only guess about the image quality.

It is funny that the list of useably lenses doesn't even mention the 90mm Macro-Elmar. Other lenses with 39mm filter threads are mentioned with the footnote that one has to use a reduction ring.    

Edited by UliWer

In that case there are so many Macro options out there that I doubt whether this Elpro adds much. Zeiss had a set of three diopters with an adaptable auxiliary viewfinder for Contax/Conteessa in the 1950-ies.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I actually thought of the Zeiss Proxar when you supposed  the Elpro would only be useable with EVF. There also have been Leitz Elpros from the very beginning of the Leica. B+W offers "Nahlinsen" in different sizes for rather modest prices.

I think their main purpose was always to make people think: "Oh, could be nice if I'd take some shots with very short distances!" But they were hardly ever used.

• Like 1

I have all the original Elpros and they worked well ON THE LENS THEY WERE DESIGNED FOR.  Some others, yes, or not at all.   Filter size adapters changed the distance from front element to filter and they wold would not work.  Example series 7 on original 90 2.8 was a wonder.  Adapt it to later 90 2.8 which had 55mm filters was a really bad fail. When I bought the proper 55 Elpro for 90 all was good.

They were also set for certain focal lengths.   Using on others not so good.  

Buy these at your peril . 

I responded with the comment "back to the future" on the Leica Rumors site when the announcement was official. There have always been ELPRO lenses as noted above. I still have my S. 7 sets from Leicaflex days. As noted by Tobey above, they work better on some lenses rather than others.

What I am not clear on is the choice of 52mm. How many Leica lenses have native 52mm filter threads? I would think 55mm would have been more logical, perhaps.

I have a Japanese-made Marumi "DHG Achromat Macro-330" lens close-up filter that is marked "+3" for magnification power.  I have also seen other brands marked at +5, +10, etc.

I called Leica's USA sales office today to ask if they know of a specific rating in this regard, and they don't know the answer.

Would anyone here be able to guess what is the magnification strength of the new ELPRO 52?    I can't interpret the table of lenses to determine this "+" rating.

The table in Helge´s link (post #4) has a column for the lens set at infinity.  The distance values there seem to indicate a power of around 4 diopters (i. e. f.l. 25 cm) for this Elpro.  One would think an optically competent company like Leica might have put the correct value in the technical info....

I have various old Elpros, a set of Minolta achromats and a Canon 250 in my cupboard.  Any of them should work decently with suitable step rings; problem is, I still use an M9, so there is no practical method of focussing... :(

• Like 2

Would anyone here be able to guess what is the magnification strength of the new Elpro 52?

As far as I can tell, it's close to +7 dpt. That's a lot. For use with M lenses with a minimum focusing distance of 0.7 m, I'd recommend a +1.5 dpt close-up lens instead.

• Like 1

EVF use only I suppose?

Except for superwides, where the extra DoF can allow some "scale-focusing." When I briefly had an E55 24mm f/2.8, I screwed on an E55 close-up lens, and did some tests to determine where the lens was actually focused when set to: infinity, 10m, 3m, 1m, 0.7m etc. Sort of an attempt to recapture the extended close-focus-without-RF-coupling range of the 21 Super-Angulon.

Wouldn't work with the EP52 - vignetting on a 24/21/18 of large diameter - but there are other such CU lenses out there. I'd need a B+W or Heliopan E60 for my old 21.

24mm Elmarit ASPH + CU lens scale-focused to about .5 meters

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

As far as I can tell, it's close to +7 dpt. That's a lot. For use with M lenses with a minimum focusing distance of 0.7 m, I'd recommend a +1.5 dpt close-up lens instead.

I think I'd like a +7 ELPRO.  I have a Maruti +3, and when I put it up against my CL and 18-56mm TL lens, there is little apparent magnification. 

Does the Elpro add anything that you would not get with a bellows and live view on various digital M and the SL/TL/CL cameras, other than better handling. I have two bellows (bellowses?) an LTM/LTM Novoflex and the beautifully made Zeiss Contax, with rise and fall plus tilt, to use with CX/Y lenses and a Novoflex LEM/CONT adapter. The only time I ever used them is when I had to copy a whole load of Roman coins for the insurance schedule of a museum. I suppose my Leitz BEOON film copier, which I use a lot for scanning film with my SL and a Schneider Kreuznach 50mm Componon S lens, is a close up device as well. 

Wilson