Stretching the M8

arthury

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I posted a previous thread about the amazing dynamic range (DR) of the M8 and most of you agree with it. While I am still at the Canadian Rockies, I wanted to see how far this DR will stretch ... this was shot in late morning. The color of the lake is true due to the silt from the glacier. I have question about the tones and colors on the slopes of the mountains. What are your thots?

777454530_b131ce1f28_o.jpg

Zeiss 21mm/2.8 Biogon ZM

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Arthur:

It looks about what I got on slide film there a few years back. A polarizer will get some of the blue haze out of the mountains. The ideal solution when shooting film was to use a graduated warming filter to warm the mountains.

Robert

You can also make most of these corrections in post processing. Graduated filters and polarizers (to me anyway) don't make much sense on rangefinder cameras. Not that they can't be used of course, just seems like these are SLR or view camera tools. My opinion only, naturally...

T

Of course not being there is a little more difficult to evaluate...... but judging with the first stone and the big tree..... there is to much yellow. I did some color changes with CS3 see how that looks to you.... I might be way off.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That's what I was seeing also was too much yellow. Filter or not here

Jacques that looks a little better to me , the dead give away was the rocks in the foreground

Guest guy_mancuso

Really the best way to go is take a shot of the card in that light than in C1 or Lightroom white balance to that and apply to those images. Than if you want it warmer or cooler than just use creative judgement. For outdoor scenes where this may not be the most critical than just using your judgement and how it looks is really okay. the shooter has to be happy with what they feel is the best looking. This image i just noticed to much yellow and than you can make that adjustment. I know raw processing for many folks can be a nightmare but to keep it simple don't be afraid to go by your eye too. If critical for clothing or something like that than work more critical but for scenics and such , just go have fun and shoot. I say this for everyone.

Guest guy_mancuso

BTW Arthur nice shot , looks like a wonderful place to shoot.

Jacques just looked at your site , some fine images there for sure. Best Guy

That's what I was seeing also was too much yellow. Filter or not here

Jacques that looks a little better to me , the dead give away was the rocks in the foreground

This is a tough call, Guy, because he said it was late morning and up in the northern latitudes, the light can be that warm yellow. The glacial lakes in the Canadian Rockies can have the most interesting colors and if that is the focal point, then Jacques' version, while looking more natural, might miss the mark. Masking off the mountains would let you clean up the haze a bit and doing that on the foreground rocks to even up the exposure shouldn't hurt.

Bob

Guest guy_mancuso

Don't disagree Bob and one reason i mentioned you have to go by the feel of it too because if shot in warm light with WB card than it will correct that warm light and that may not be what you want. So many times you have to make a judgement call on your images. Most of the Germany stuff I posted I did not WB it because i tend to like my stuff warm , the M8 naturally goes to the warm side like the DMR . So a lot of this really comes back in the shooters hands to work towards what looks best to him. My only thing that bothered me was it looked yellow and not warm toned, this maybe due too the elevation , location , time of day and the use of a IR filter or not.

Thank you everyone for trying to help me out here. I really appreciate it a lot. I think with the situation I was in, the best way is probably to correct it in software.

Here's the scoop ... Yes, Guy, the UV/IR filter was on. It was self coded and I forgot to flip the frame-line selector and so, the details of the lens did not get picked up. I did not notice that until I got back to the hotel. :(

The sensor and the firmware got the color of the lake perfectly correct. Well done, Leica!

The questionable color toning I had in mind is the "watercolor" looking area on the slopes where there are no vegetation. Although, the light was tilted towards the warmer (yellowish) side of the spectrum, I was a little puzzled by the moderate magenta-bias on the bare spots even with the IR filter on. It may be the increase of the haze, like what some of you have said.

Very beautiful landscape;

Regarding the color balance of the mountains:

If the snow on the mountains was white and comes out white in the image, you can't be really off with the white balance.

There are snow conditions where snow can look yellowish (for example in spring; I am from Austria originally...); but if that was not the case, the snow is a perfect target for a white balance click tool in your raw converter. The snow looks neutral in these shots, so I think they work fine.

Peter

I wasnt sure the top image was a colour cast issue. Equalising, Balance tone, S curving which steeps mid tones, all make differences that lead me to guess it might be a contrast thing.

Without trying to raise bells of dissent, has anyone else noticed this? What is going on?

100% crop trh cnr

Second image is full of it too...theres a lot more than I have highlighted or marked in crop. What gives? Brains trust?

I wasnt sure the top image was a colour cast issue. Equalising, S curving which steeps mid tones and therefore I guess it might be a contrast thing.

Without trying to raise bells of dissent, has anyone else noticed this? What is going on?

[ATTACH]45282[/ATTACH]

100% crop trh cnr

Same here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/23902-dng-processing-problem.html

It's time to go to Solms :(