Recommended sites/stores to sell an M8 to avoid eBay?

rivi1969

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good afternoon,

The moment to say goodbye my beloved M8 might be close, no rush, just start thinking in my options. I might upgrade to an M240 nothing further (M10) is remotely considered. 

I am wondering what would be the best and safest way to sell it?

I like to avoid the hassle of dealing with possible scammers at eBay and the outrageous fees they charge (last week I sold a lens for $415 and got a total PayPal fee of $80!) I rather "lose" some money but with the assurance to will deal with honest, professional people. Keh.com offers 950 bucks for it. Too low I guess.  ;)

How much would be reasonable to expect considering it has less than 5000 shutter clicks and works as new? No coffee stains, no dings or dents, just a minor discoloration on the sides where the strap touches the metal, but in exceptional condition.

Thank you!

Ricardo 

You will not get 'full value' from any dealer.  All dealers will have pay you (and the cost of money is not free) pay rent, pay salaries, advertise and most importantly make a profit. 

Some dealers will sell on consignment but will take a percentage of what it sells for.

I agree with everything James said above.

you may get more from the auction sites-- but there is more risk

Edited by prk60091
  • Like 2

Try Sean at CameraWest Rancho Mirage ... about as close to you as possible.

Very honest evaluations ... have not sold anything for 15 years ... everything goes to him ... lots of stuff.

He owns 3 stores including the Leica Store SF.

I normally send my stuff to him and let him replace it with what I want.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is also an M8/M8.2 page on Facebook. I know that people on there have been looking for an M8.

I also think that $950 is too cheap for a good M8.

Ernst

Ernst,

Yes, I wouldn't sell it for anything less than $1450 considering it is pretty much in mint condition complete with box and accessories. If you subtract eBay fees, PayPal fees etc $1000 ends up being like $850. I rather keep it. M240's are plenty if I decided to get one.

You will not get 'full value' from any dealer.  All dealers will have pay you (and the cost of money is not free) pay rent, pay salaries, advertise and most importantly make a profit. 

Some dealers will sell on consignment but will take a percentage of what it sells for.

Sorry, I don't know who James is (?) so I can't agree with what he said. Anyway, I'll keep thinking about the options. A reputable dealer might be the best bet.

Sorry, I don't know who James is (?) so I can't agree with what he said. Anyway, I'll keep thinking about the options. A reputable dealer might be the best bet.

"Regards James" is the clue!  Post #2.

Edited by pedaes

Ernst,

Yes, I wouldn't sell it for anything less than $1450 considering it is pretty much in mint condition complete with box and accessories. If you subtract eBay fees, PayPal fees etc $1000 ends up being like $850. I rather keep it. M240's are plenty if I decided to get one.

Hi Ricardo

I think around $1400 is a fair price.

But I also think that you really, really shouldn't sell your M8.

I think you might regret it...

Ernst

• Like 2

Good afternoon,

The moment to say goodbye my beloved M8 might be close, no rush, just start thinking in my options. I might upgrade to an M240 nothing further (M10) is remotely considered. 

I am wondering what would be the best and safest way to sell it?

I like to avoid the hassle of dealing with possible scammers at eBay and the outrageous fees they charge (last week I sold a lens for $415 and got a total PayPal fee of $80!) I rather "lose" some money but with the assurance to will deal with honest, professional people. Keh.com offers 950 bucks for it. Too low I guess.  ;)

How much would be reasonable to expect considering it has less than 5000 shutter clicks and works as new? No coffee stains, no dings or dents, just a minor discoloration on the sides where the strap touches the metal, but in exceptional condition.

Thank you!

Ricardo 

I found that Meister in Berlin will give very fair prices, both on commission and direct buy. Obviously a bit less than a private sale, but they will take care of all the potential hassle and guaranty issues.

• Like 2

OTOH, a dealer will be able to charge a higher price than a private sale.

• Like 1

OTOH, a dealer will be able to charge a higher price than a private sale.

In the UK, dealers are cheaper than eBay and online forums and their stuff comes with a warranty. If the OP wants a good price, I doubt he's going to get it from a dealer.

I think $950 is a decent price as well. I very much doubt any dealer will give you $1450 for it. It wouldn't be worth their while.

Edited by silverchrome
  • Like 1

In the UK, dealers are cheaper than eBay and online forums and their stuff comes with a warranty. If the OP wants a good price, I doubt he's going to get it from a dealer.

I think $950 is a decent price as well. I very much doubt any dealer will give you $1450 for it. It wouldn't be worth their while.

Meister Hamburg has or had a very nice one for sale at 1599€. 1450$ is approx 1270€. I also doubt that a dealer will give that amount.

I’m keeping my M8. In Januari 2009 (financial crisis) I got my brand new M8 for 2300€. It’s still in mint condtion, when compared to the one mentioned my M8 did cost me less than 100€ a year.

I don’t know if Amazon marketplace is a possible alternative for ebay. Would also consider the buy & sell option here but I think the most easy way is trough a dealer. I now buy most Leica stuff at a local dealer and I hope I can sell one of my cameras trough their store. I know a contact person at that store and will take contact to find out the possibilities.

Best

• Like 1

Hi Ricardo

Sorry to read you're thinking of selling the M8, particularly as you made the camera work so well...many beautiful images. However there are some advantages to FF...i suppose.

Can't keep it and get an M240 when you've saved up? Great to have a back-up. I'm still using my M8's even though i have an M-P.

You might like to try advertising in your city newspaper. That way a buyer can come around and inspect/test in front of you...the deal done with no refunds, etc.

All best...

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies.

Since I just sold my A7 and my Leica X1, I had some kind of GAS lapsus Brutus, I said "well, finally a full frame M is on my reach", however after too much deliberation, and looking to all the pics I have taken with the M8, I decided that I will keep it until the end of the journey and add a nice 28mm to my kit. 

I keep note of your recommendations, f the moment comes, I will buy it from a reputable dealer too, like Meister or Tamarkin.

My M8 says have a great weekend :)

43268081874_d5b556cea5_k.jpgLeica M8 by Ricardo Villagran, on Flickr

Edited by rivi1969
  • Like 3