Has anyone gotten Nissin MG10 to work with Leica SCF-1 commander?

Ron Weissman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've just received Nissin's potato masher MG10 flash (Sony version). (The flash itself is not brand-specific; only the controller that shipped with the flash is.) The Sony version of the Nissan A10 commander works on camera triggering the MG10 on a Sony A73. And it looks like a great product (but be sure to order some 26550 Lion batteries to really unlock the power of the flash and avoid having to keep spare  sets of 8 AAs around.)

The Leica SCF-1 when paired with the MG10 will trigger the MG10 flash when the test button is pressed on the SCF-1 commander. So far, so good.  But when the trigger is in the hotshoe, pressing the shutter on the SL or the CL does not fire the MG10. Nothing happens (thought the commander test button still fires the flash)  Nothing wrong with the SCF-1 as Leica SF-60 flash works fine with the trigger. 

I suspect this is a firmware issue (either for the MG10 or for the Leica SCF-1). Before I pester Nissin, I want to ensure this isn't operator error.

So, I am curious if anyone has successfully used the MG10 with the Leica SCF-1 controller placed in the hotshoe of an SL or CL? As I said, I know the flash is seen by the SCF-1, as the commander's test button does trigger the flash. 

When the SCF-1 and SF60 flash originally shipped, I had a similar problem, but this was due to a defective SF60 flash which Leica replaced.  I doubt that I have a defective MG10 as it works fine with the Sony A73. Again, I suspect that there is a firmware issue somewhere in the camera to flash technology chain.  When the MG10 was originally announced, Nissin did imply that the Leica commander would trigger it, so my question  relates to technology that the vendor indicated should work,  not to some out of scope experiment on my part.

I had same encounter with trying to trigger an i60a with SF C1.

The MG10 was made available after the debut of the SF C1. In theory that should not happen but there seem to be a communication blockade on firmware that only Nissin can resolve (easily).

I have posted the question on the compatibility of SF C1 to MG10 on Nissin Facebook & email to them. They only gave the acknowledgment reply thus far but no actual reply. It seems the communication channel with Nissin is worst than Leica.

Alternatively, I’ve managed to create a hybrid manual / TTL flash combo that provides sufficient full body portrait illumination at 12 ft distance for camera setting of 1/8000sec, f2 @ ISO100. I’ve used the SF60 & SF C1 to trigger two Lumopro 189 Manual flash set on slave mode while FF 60 bundled together with the manual flashes set at TTL / HSS. This way I can still do fine adjustments on the level of illumination through SF C1.

So if MG10 does not work with Leica set up, manually firing AD200 the same way I did with Lumopros may be an alternative.

• Like 1

I've just received Nissin's potato masher MG10 flash (Sony version). (The flash itself is not brand-specific; only the controller that shipped with the flash is.) The Sony version of the Nissan A10 commander works on camera triggering the MG10 on a Sony A73. And it looks like a great product (but be sure to order some 26550 Lion batteries to really unlock the power of the flash and avoid having to keep spare  sets of 8 AAs around.)

The Leica SCF-1 when paired with the MG10 will trigger the MG10 flash when the test button is pressed on the SCF-1 commander. So far, so good.  But when the trigger is in the hotshoe, pressing the shutter on the SL or the CL does not fire the MG10. Nothing happens (thought the commander test button still fires the flash)  Nothing wrong with the SCF-1 as Leica SF-60 flash works fine with the trigger. 

I suspect this is a firmware issue (either for the MG10 or for the Leica SCF-1). Before I pester Nissin, I want to ensure this isn't operator error.

So, I am curious if anyone has successfully used the MG10 with the Leica SCF-1 controller placed in the hotshoe of an SL or CL? As I said, I know the flash is seen by the SCF-1, as the commander's test button does trigger the flash. 

Ron,

Was your SF C1 set to TTL or Manual?

I had several encounters that pressing the Leica SL's shutter release did not fire the SF60 via SF C1 when SF C1 was set to manual with camera shutter speed set at M (1/8000sec). When the mode on SF C1 was switched back to TTL, it worked fine.

Thanks Gordon and Sillbeers.

I've no problem at all with the SF60 (my original unit was defective).  

Regarding the SFC1 and the MG10, I, too, suspect firmware as the issue and have also written to Nissin. My question now is: whose firmware needs updating: the Nissan MG10 or the Leica SFC1 (which is an OEM product made by Nissan to Leica's spec)? If there were to be a firmware fix, which vendor should should I be lobbying for it? (I've already written to Nissan; they say 72 hours for normal replies.)

Regarding the slave triggering--a very clever solution. I did something like this a while ago, but my problem now is using the MG10 for events, not for studio work.  Again, thanks, both of you!

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ron,

I received a reply from Nissin Digital informing me a new firmware available at their nissin digital.com/download/ website. Seems to be pointing Leica users the direction to be able to trigger the MG10 from SF C1.

It is yet to be tried and tested before confirming the Leica SL and M10 can trigger the MG10 via SF C1 with the new MG10 firmware now available for download.

Do let us know the outcome of the new firmware can allow the MG10 to be triggered by Leica cameras via SF C1?

G

The new nissin mg10 firmware (v5) has fixed the issue. The leica SC1 now does trigger the flash when the flash commander is fired from the hot shoe.

greatnews indeed! Can you kindly also check if the HSS can work on Manual Mode (Set at SF C1)?

The new nissin mg10 firmware (v5) has fixed the issue. The leica SC1 now does trigger the flash when the flash commander is fired from the hot shoe.

Ron, 

That sounds like good news. Have you tried to see if you get full TTL control and EV +/- on the controller. Finally HSS?

Wilson

Encouraging. I wonder whether this will be possible with the other Nissin flashes, particularly ones such as the ni60 that are available in Leica livery.

If you are refering to the Nissin i60a (non Leica SF60), then the flash must be downloaded with a firmware that accepts Leica camera protocol and only usable as off camera flashes used in conjunction with Leica SF C1 Commander. Key point is i have not yet seem a new firmware released by Nissin for i60a after the Leica SF60 & SF C1 hit the marketplace.

I had time to test only the basic TTL. Had to jump on a flight to Hong Kong and finish a speech for a conference there. Will test more advanced features when I return next week. But so far, it looks like TTL, at least, is accurate.  I will also test my i60A flashes (Sony and Fuji) when I get back--but I think they require firmware updates from Nissan. I sent my Fuji flash to them but have not received it back yet.

I am advised by Nissin UK, that in the UK at least, the MG10 is only currently available as the Canon or Nikon bundles with the appropriate Air10S controller. The MG10 will become available as a solo item at some later point when initial demand for bundles has been cleared but Nissin have not released any solo MG10's to dealers so far. Is the MG10 available as a solo anywhere else? I am going to the USA in November and could buy there. My daughter's father-in-law might even get a professional photographer/educational discount for me. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

I typically see 2 pricing on MG10. Nissin dealer in Singapore is hopelessly slow. Since July they have been talking about a MOQ of 10 units Nissin Japan will release. I am still waiting for their first shipment to arrive.

Edited by sillbeers15

• 4 weeks later...

My MG10 finally arrived. After waiting for the Singapore local agent of Nissin for 2 months in vein, I’ve approached Nissin Hong Kong for purchase through the Nissin Online Store. Although at my time of purchase there was no channel available for overseas shipping and no single MG10 purchase ( not as a kit with the AIR10 commander) possible. The Nissin Hong Kong staff were really helpful to create single purchase available online and provided me the way to have the unit shipped to Singapore for me. 5 days later, the Nissin arrived at my door step.

Following the Nissin website instructions to download the MG10v5 firmware onto a micro SD card and in turn successfully installed the latest firmware into my unit of MG10 made it compatible to Leica SF C1 Commander. Pair it and  it worked with my Leica SL. However I encountered same issue as SF40 & SF60, no HSS-Manuel Flash only HSS-TTL.

First impression was pleasantly surprised handling a well built camera,..err I mean flash unit. I will not be able to comprehend if not personally handled it first hand.

I will give more feedback after using it with my SL on the performance of the MG10 used together with my SF60s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The MG10 has become a part of OCF lighting kit controlled by SF C1 Commander. With the optional 26650 Li-ion battery, it offers faster recycling time and 500 shots on full power. I use the MG10 as my key light source accompanied by 2 SF60s as fill light and rim light. Below are some shots:

L1020756 Heresa by sillbeers15

L1020718 by sillbeers15

• Like 2