Simple film guide

frame-it

It's a good overview indeed even some of my favorite films are missing - for example Ilford PanF+ 50 and Fuji Provia and Velvia 100F slide films. I also wish some more details were given on debits of specific films in the description/review - for example that Ektar 100 renders shadows blueish etc. 

Edited by Martin B
  • Like 1

true :) i liked it because is quite simplified and gives a nice overview...and quite an achievement from a young under 35 year old photographer :)

nice to see more people using and loving film these days

It's a good overview indeed even some of my favorite films are missing - for example Ilford PanF+ 50 and Fuji Provia and Velvia 100F slide films. I also wish some more details were given on debits of specific films in the description/review - for example that Ektar 100 renders shadows blueish etc. 

• Like 1

true :) i liked it because is quite simplified and gives a nice overview...and quite an achievement from a young under 35 year old photographer :)

nice to see more people using and loving film these days

It is just one sign of a clear trend by now that many younger photographers went back to film to differentiate from the mainstream digital mass. I started shooting film again about 4 years ago and meanwhile shoot more film than digital. But the main reason why I went back to film is that I can now develop all film by myself. If I had to send out each film to have it developed and scanned, it would be a very expensive and probably not worthwhile hobby. For me key with film is to do as much by yourself as you possibly can - starting from rolling your own 35 mm films from a 100' roll (reduces the price for a 36 frame cartridge about 50-70%) to scanning and potentially even printing with an enlarger setup. This compared to buying a > $3K digital camera with expensive lenses is then potentially the more affordable option, too - but again, you have to vest the time to handle everything by yourself (which I consider fun, too). 

• Like 1

Thank you for referencing my blog :) A couple of years ago I started a project in which I want to shoot every color film available in the market. I'd like to create an easy guide for people who wants to start with film and doesn't know which film to use. So far, this is the list: (Did I forget anything?) 

REVIEWED

Fujicolor SUPERIA x-tra 800

Kodak Gold 200

Rollei Redbird Redscale 400

Kodak Ultramax 400

FUJICOLOR INDUSTRIAL 100 業務記錄用

Adox color Implosion 100-400

Fujifilm Fujichrome Provia 100F

Fujicolor ETERNA 250D

Lomography color Negative 400

CineStill 50 DayLight

AgfaPhoto CT Precisa 100

Kodak EKTAR 100

Kodak Colorplus 200

Fujifilm Superia 200

Fujicolor 100 (Only in Japan)

Fujifilm Superia x-tra 400

FND IRO 200

SHOT BUT NOT REVIEWED

Kodak Pro-Image 100

AgfaPhoto VISTA PLUS 200

HillVale Sunny 16

Fujicolor c200

FUJICOLOR INDUSTRIAL 400 業務記錄

Superia Premium 400 (Only in Japan)用

Fujifilm Superia Natura 1600 / Fujicolor Natura 1600

Kodak Vision 3 250D

Superia Venus 800 (Only in Japan)

Lomography 100

IN PROCESS

AgfaPhoto VISTA PLUS 400

Kodak Portra 400

FPP RetroChrome 320

Rollei CR200

BOUGHT BUT NOT SHOT

Lomography Lomochrome Purple 100-400

CINESTILL 800 ISO TUNGSTEN XPRO

Kodak Portra 160

NOT BOUGHT YET

Fujicolor Fujichrome Velvia 50

Fujicolor Fujichrome Velvia 100

Fujicolor Fujichrome Provia 400x

Fujifilm PRO 160NS

HillVale 200 Holiday

Fujicolor PRO 400H

I.D.S. Color-Spektar (ISO 200)

I.D.S. Just Click It 160

Kodak Portra 800

Argenti VIVID ARROW 400

Lomography color Negative 800

Lomography Lomochrome Turquoise 100-400

LOMOGRAPHY REDSCALE XR ISO 50-200

Lucky Color Negative Film 100

I.D.S. COLOR-SPEKTAR 200

I.D.S. JUST CLICK IT. 160 35MM

Kono! Kolorit 125 CN

Kono! Rekorder 100

Kono! Kolorit 250

Kono! Kolorit 400 CN

KODAK SUPER LOW SPEED iso f1.6

Revolog 36exp 460nm

Revolog 36exp 600nm

Revolog 36exp Plexus

Revolog 36exp Kolor

Revolog 36exp Rasp

Revolog 12exp Tesla II

Rollei Digibase CN200 Pro (C-41 Process)

Rollei Vario Chrome 135-36

Rollei Crossbird 35mm

Dubblefilm Bubblegum

Dubblefilm Monsoon

Dubblefilm Sunstroke

Dubblefilm Moonstruck

SAYAT NOVA 35mm-36 exp.

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you for referencing my blog :) A couple of years ago I started a project in which I want to shoot every color film available in the market. I'd like to create an easy guide for people who wants to start with film and doesn't know which film to use. So far, this is the list: (Did I forget anything?) 

Sounds like an excellent plan! Even some of the "fancy" films are currently very over-hyped in social networks, I don't see them as being used often. I personally wouldn't focus too much on these, e. g.  like purple/blue false color negative films etc, neither on some hyped B&W films like Street Candy etc. I believe the most available films in stores are the ones people will most likely have a comparison with. Certainly I would include some well known slide films like Fuji Provia or Velvia 100F. Just my 2 Cents!

• Like 1

Well done, Carlos, a very worthwhile venture and very interesting to read so thank you.  I have ordered 3 rolls of FilmNeverDie IRO 200 to try; it might help me fill the void created by the absence of my beloved ADOX Color-Implosion.

Pete.

• Like 2

Adox told me that it was only a short run film and they've dismantled the end-of-life production line as part of their building renovations and they won't be able to offer it in the future unfortunately.

Where did you find your LR Color-Implosion preset please?

Pete.

and also inside DXO film pack

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Thanks, Frame-it.  

The DxO rendition doesn't quite do it for me because it lacks the natural heavy grain and colour shifts that I would expect in Adox Color-Implosion.   An example to explain what I mean:

Pete.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M3 and 1947 Carl Zeiss Jena 50/2 Sonnar with Adox Color-Implosion at ISO 100

• Like 3

It is more like historical overview in OP link. Many films are not exist anymore, like true AGFA and Konica or not available on most of the markets - Fuji Industrial. 

And next to none BW films in this link. Yet, you could buy 14+ different BW films in bulk, but no C-41 bulk film these days. 

Edited by Ko.Fe.

• 2 weeks later...