No love for the 35mm Summicron Asph?

Csacwp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

57 minutes ago, PeterKKB said:

Thanks for the perspective, it's on my list, I meant a more modern look (sharper, more contrast, colder colors), I think it's quite distinct vs previous versions.

Even if an aspherical lens design could account for all of those differences, one can adjust for those characteristics to some degree at each stage in the shooting (including lighting and color profiles), editing (globally and locally) and print (including inks, papers/size and paper profiles) workflow.  In my experience, print viewers have no idea, or interest in (other than maybe gear forum participants), the gear used.  If gear alone dictated rendering, anyone using the same gear would produce similar results.  Thankfully, that’s not the case; otherwise I’d be bored silly.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I have had the 35 Cron Asph for ten years now. I was initially unimpressed with the lens on my M Monochrom camera but began to like it a lot on the SL 601. Later on the M10M it really shined especially if one was able to hit a precise focus with contrasting light. This image has been cropped into extensively M10M Leica M Summicron 35 f2 Asph 1600 ISO 1/3000 sec at f8

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jeff S said:

If

9 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Even if an aspherical lens design could account for all of those differences, one can adjust for those characteristics to some degree at each stage in the shooting (including lighting and color profiles), editing (globally and locally) and print (including inks, papers/size and paper profiles) workflow.  In my experience, print viewers have no idea, or interest in (other than maybe gear forum participants), the gear used.  If gear alone dictated rendering, anyone using the same gear would produce similar results.  Thankfully, that’s not the case; otherwise I’d be bored silly.

Jeff

Sure, nobody is suggesting that. 

Full disclosure (since I've made previous comments on this thread) - I just got a 35 Summicron ASPH (again - current version, used). For various reasons having little to do with absolute image characteristics, but simply how it fits in with my other lenses at the moment, and practical mechanical features (0.7m focusing, 6-bit-coding).

And it showed up at the local shop at the right moment.

And the DR of my other new addition (M10 Monochrom) helps tame the contrast when appropriate.

Do I love it? No - I just tell it that to get it into bed. ;) 

But it does the job.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, adan said:

Full disclosure (since I've made previous comments on this thread) - I just got a 35 Summicron ASPH (again - current version, used). For various reasons having little to do with absolute image characteristics, but simply how it fits in with my other lenses at the moment, and practical mechanical features (0.7m focusing, 6-bit-coding).

And it showed up at the local shop at the right moment.

And the DR of my other new addition (M10 Monochrom) helps tame the contrast when appropriate.

Do I love it? No - I just tell it that to get it into bed. ;) 

But it does the job.

And not too pink in b&w.  😉

Jeff

On 12/4/2022 at 8:16 PM, Jeff S said:

And not too pink in b&w.  😉

Jeff

True. But I expect to use it for color also.

The things affecting color backing up the 35 ASPH (films, sensors, cameras, firmware profiles, software, changeover to weird-spectrum LED light sources, other post-Mandler lenses) have all made a new world, where the pink of the ASPH that peeved me on Velvia in 2002 or the purplish M8/9 is just one more thing to correct for in getting the color I want today.

After 10 years of "fixing" the color of Canon long glass on a 5DII to match fairly well with M sensors, firmware and lenses (not to mention various Summarits, a 135 APO-Telyt, misc. Voigtländers, etc. etc.), I have more experience and some newer tools and skills. The Summicron ASPH should be a piece of cake.

Most of which you already covered in post #102. ;) 

• Like 1

Flagship here means one of the most coveted, sold and advertised lenses. This lens was on most camera advertising images, has a legendary status and must be (have been?) one of the most sold Leica lenses in history (speaking of the entire range of 35 summicron models of course, meaning all ever made. The ASPH is just a recent 35 summicron). It is the Toyota Corolla of Leica.

Edited by Al Brown

16 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Flagship here means one of the most coveted, sold and advertised lenses.

I figure the flagship lens is the one Leica puts on the cameras for their promotional pictures.

https://leica-camera.com/en-US

Historically, it was the 50 Summilux, then the 35 Summilux ASPH in the 1990s, then the 50 Summilux ASPH, and now sometimes the 35 APO-Summicron.

Edited by adan

17 minutes ago, adan said:

I figure the flagship lens is the one Leica puts on the cameras for their promotional pictures.

https://leica-camera.com/en-US

Historically, it was the 50 Summilux, then the 35 Summilux ASPH in the 1990s, then the 50 Summilux ASPH, and now sometimes the 35 APO-Summicron.

Hmmm there were A LOT of Leica product kit images with 35 Summicron… let me rephrase the question: do you think Summicron 35 is Leica’s  most sold lens model in history?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Am 6.12.2022 um 15:08 schrieb Artin:

I don't know what a flagship lens means ? but let's just say out of all the new lenses from Leica this has the least return for investment value.

It sells for 5600 Cnd New .... and I could not get 3500 dollars for a 6 month old lens mint in the Box 

well, that is true for any NEW Leica lens....if you buy a new Summilux 50 ASPH for 4090€, you will get after 3 months 2800 € for it (if you are lucky)...this is crazy...

Am 6.12.2022 um 15:11 schrieb Al Brown:

Flagship here means one of the most coveted, sold and advertised lenses. This lens was on most camera advertising images, has a legendary status and must be (have been?) one of the most sold Leica lenses in history (speaking of the entire range of 35 summicron models of course, meaning all ever made. The ASPH is just a recent 35 summicron). It is the Toyota Corolla of Leica.

not sure, I would say the Summilux 35 and 50

I’ve had the 1st version ASPH for many years, with plastic and metal hoods, had 6-bit coding added to it and will not sell/trade it for any other 35. I also have an FLE, which is a little better optically, but it’s not as good ergonomically and bigger/heavier. If I ever have to sell one, FLE would have to go. My 35 ASPH has been the most reliable Leica lens so far (no funky image surprises, especially on film).

Another good reason to keep it is that DAG, Sherry and Youxin know how to service this lens very well and with a quick turn around. 

On 12/6/2022 at 9:08 AM, Artin said:

It sells for 5600 Cnd New .... and I could not get 3500 dollars for a 6 month old lens mint in the Box 

18 hours ago, shinobi2012 said:

well, that is true for any NEW Leica lens....if you buy a new Summilux 50 ASPH for 4090€, you will get after 3 months 2800 € for it (if you are lucky)...this is crazy...

It is crazy but the dealer’s gotta eat. The margins on new items from the manufacturers are razor thin. On the other hand one can always do better if you sell it yourself but that takes work and patience. Especially if like me you prefer to deal locally. 
I guess you just have to consider it a convenience tax - one that I always end up paying when I trade in lenses

Edited by Kwesi
Added ‘I guess…’
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Artin said:

They offered a fellow member here 2800CND dollars for his Noctilux 0.95 telling him that they have 3 on the shelf and can't get more then 6500 CND dollars ... the very next day I went to that exact dealer and offered 6500 for his Noctilux 0.95 and he laughed me out his shop...

Wow! I got the same vibe from a Toronto dealer in October when I last visited. Definitely made me question why I even bothered to stop in.