No love for the 35mm Summicron Asph?

Csacwp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just would like to share some photos of Summicron 35 asph II 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

another one 

• Like 3

Yes - but that was with are different models with rather different imaging characteristics dating back 60 years.

There are many who love some 35mm Summicron lens - but not necessarily the 35mm Summicron ASPH (see thread title).

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Beautiful pop and bokeh at f/2. Beautiful sunstars and presence at f/8.

To me 35 Summicron and 50 Summicron define what Leica character is. The 35 ASPH doesn't lose the character of the past performers, at least not enough to destroy the lens.

Mine is V and I love it tremendously. Budget reasons dictate I don't get a IV on the side, but that's fine.

• Like 4

I’ve just picked up a VI Summicron ASPH (one with the metal hood) and I couldn’t be happier, I’ve tried a couple of different Voigtlanders and a 7 artisans 35mm, but the Summicron on first impressions render an image beautifully. 

That and the 50mm Summicron should keep me happy for a good while yet! 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

M9 with Summicron 35 asph mark 2 at f/8

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 8/7/2020 at 1:35 AM, asiafish said:

The 35 Cron ASPH just isn't sexy or exciting.  Other lenses are faster, or lighter or cheaper.

This is exactly the reason why I first sold the 35 Cron ASPH, and then bought it again.

The Leica character can only be seen very subtly but it's there. It has this boring look that doesn't get into the way and distract from the story.

Leica MP, 35 Cron ASPH, CineStill 50D

• Like 9

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve bought two copies of this lens and enjoyed them until I ended up with the faster 1.4 versions each time going back and forth.  
It was more about background blur and having extra speed in darker areas.  
I ended up buying the SL apo many years later.  High iso is better now on the cameras so that f2 max aperture works just fine.  Ibis also helps make this a success.

it would be hard for me to buy the asph lens again now that the apo versions are so amazing wide open… But the asph is still a great compact lens.

Robb

33 minutes ago, PeterKKB said:

i personally like the ASPH look but is it true that it's a bit too much with the CCD sensor of M8/M9 (too contrasty)? 

No. There are also many ways for users to manage shooting/lighting conditions and to subsequently adjust contrast, or myriad other rendering variables, in post and in print. My 35 v.1 ASPH has served me well on every M I’ve used, from film Ms to the M8.2 to the M(9)M to the M10-R and M10-M, as well as other interim models. Pics/prints vary in rendering mostly because of me, not the camera.  Don’t know what you mean by the “ASPH look.”

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

There are also many ways for users to manage shooting/lighting conditions and to subsequently adjust contrast, or myriad other rendering variables, in post and in print. My 35 v.1 ASPH has served me well on every M I’ve used [...]

Same here. As the LUF says, the lens has a boring look with 3-D effect and high contrast on CCD sensors. Add to this some focus shift duly checked with plastic rulers and you get the best 35 in the galaxy :D. Just kidding.

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

No. There are also many ways for users to manage shooting/lighting conditions and to subsequently adjust contrast, or myriad other rendering variables, in post and in print. My 35 v.1 ASPH has served me well on every M I’ve used, from film Ms to the M8.2 to the M(9)M to the M10-R and M10-M, as well as other interim models. Pics/prints vary in rendering mostly because of me, not the camera.  Don’t know what you mean by the “ASPH look.”

Jeff

Thanks for the perspective, it's on my list, I meant a more modern look (sharper, more contrast, colder colors), I think it's quite distinct vs previous versions.