No love for the 35mm Summicron Asph?

Csacwp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My 35/2 asph has less focus shift, less corner softness and less flare than my 35/2 v4 and is sharper at edges and corners than my 35/2.5. Sure my ZM 35/2.8 has less CA and less flare but it has more vignetting and is not an f/2 lens. People having issues with the 35/2 asph have got a copy from the film days i suspect and did not have it calibrated for digital.

• Like 1

Then would you please show me let’s say a landscape shot which has sharp corners.Ok it is not a landscape lens then show me an environmental portrait which pops?

For me it is not a technical perfection nor character lens.

Zeiss 35mm distagon is huge comparing cron but technical perfection up with the best guys and it has a way better character than cron for me.

I really want to understand the point or value proposition of this lens? Just compactness? What about 28 elmarit?

• Like 1

The Biogon 35/2.8 is one of my favorite "slow" 35's but it vignettes more and is not an f/2 lens of course whereas the Biogon 35/2 is also a very good lens but it is more bulky and has softer edges and corners below f/4. Compromise... compromise... As for landscapes, you can find a nice example above (L1026853-X2.jpg). Nothing i can do for you if you don't like that ;).

Edited by lct

Used to have the version 1 eight element Summicron. I liked it, but found the out of focus areas at large apertures to sometimes be very 'busy'. Since I sold it, the version 1 seems to have gained an almost mythical status.

I now have a 35mm Summaron F2.8, of a similar vintage. It's a stop slower, a lot cheaper, just as nicely built, but the out of focus areas at F2.8 look nicer, smoother, to my eyes.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The ASPH has always seemed too big/heavy for what it is for me. (39mm filter size, 300g and it still feels big/heavy!)

I have had a f/2.8 Summaron before but I didn't get the pleasing muted pastel colours the v1 or the 50 Rigid seem to give (maybe more to do with my particular copy.)

I definitely agree with adan's assessment that the 35/2 ASPH gives a real pink emphasis to colour images. 

This was ultimately the reason I let mine go as I tend to use 35mm for friends family film stuff that I get dev and prints with.

Pretty much every single other Leica 35mm lens seems better suited for this purpose.

No doubt the 35 ASPH is still a very nice lens and no barrier whatsoever to the taking of a great photograph.

The ASPH has always seemed too big/heavy for what it is for me. (39mm filter size, 300g and it still feels big/heavy!) [...]

255g only but it is indeed heavier than the 35/2 v4 due to its smaller size and also plastic parts to be honest. 

LOL: “plastic to be honest” . A mortal sin... hahaha

The owner of this 35/2 v4 did not laugh that loud i suspect.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

FWIW, I own both the V.1 (8 lenses) and the ASPH (not the new one).  The ASPH may not be the lens with most ´character´ among my modest setup of Leica glass, but it does its job.  Every time.

From time to time I´m beset by nostalgic feelings, and dig out the V1 and use it for some days (and this thread triggered one such period).  That lens kind of does its job, too - some of the time.  By now, it´s back in the cupboard, and the ASPH is back on duty.

• Like 2

otto: lct has a "bee in his bonnet" about the plastic in the v.4.

It does contain plastic - but how many have had the catastrophic failure he shows (again and again - same lens), out of how many thousands made?

Mostly, it just results in the lens front half not aligning perfectly in rotation - only noticeable because the rectangular lens hood reveals a slight tilt one way or the other. (I guess for a certain mindset, a misaligned hood counts as a "catastrophe.")

Usually, it doesn't happen at all - unless a fumble-fingered user constantly mounts/unmounts the lens by grabbing the lens hood, instead of the lens. Operator error.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Usually, it doesn't happen at all - unless a fumble-fingered user constantly mounts/unmounts the lens by grabbing the lens hood, instead of the lens. Operator error.

Also how many 28mm f2.8 ASPH Elmarit-M lenses are damaged/made loose. Seems to be a common thing with these smaller lenses that have limited real estate of grab onto when changing lenses. 

Edited by Gregm61

otto: lct has a "bee in his bonnet" about the plastic in the v.4.

It does contain plastic - but how many have had the catastrophic failure he shows (again and again - same lens), out of how many thousands made?

Mostly, it just results in the lens front half not aligning perfectly in rotation - only noticeable because the rectangular lens hood reveals a slight tilt one way or the other. (I guess for a certain mindset, a misaligned hood counts as a "catastrophe.")

The 35cron v4 was my first Leica lens. Used a lot during almost 20 years, super tight still and no such problems ;-)

• Like 1

otto: lct has a "bee in his bonnet" about the plastic in the v.4. [...]

Just facts. Mine works fine since the eighties with one issue only (pic).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

My experience with the Summicrons 35 is (relatively ;) ) limited to : 

- V1 8 elements Wetzlar

- V3 Canada

- and the asph, bought used at the times of M8 (2007)

No doubt, asph is the best of the three, in any respect : minimal focus shift, that's true, but all in all now I consider it my std. 35 ; finally, I must admit that around f8 my very old Summilux 35 has a similar rendering… and I tend to take this as a special quality of the Summilux… but reading this thread maybe it's on the contrary a sort of drawback of the Summicron asph… anyway, don't feel any need to change it, even if would be very curios to test the much praised Biogon.

I agree that the 35mm Summicron IV has some mechanical weakness.

I used some since long :

- some had the "tilted hood problem" but the hood can be taken out untill a repair which took only little time to adjust

- I think that later model that I use now (made in Germany) had no more weakness

- or maybe, I'm more gentle in it's handling

Edited by a.noctilux

I agree that the 35mm Summicron IV has some mechanical weakness.

I used some since long :

- some had the "tilted hood problem" but the hood can be taken out untill a repair which took only little time to adjust

- I think that later model that I use now (made in Germany) had no more weakness

- or maybe, I'm more gentle in it's handling

Just curious; «evidence» that later German made are better than early Canadian made versions in this respect (plastic and breakage)?

Just curious; «evidence» that later German made are better than early Canadian made versions in this respect (plastic and breakage)?

I have no "evidence", but only experience of about seven or eight 35mm Summicron IV that passed in my use over time.

If "evidence" that may be the weight of them (I began to weight some of my gears some years ago) :

- Canada : 133g ( # 3 017 xxx) to 135g ( # 3 18x xxx)

- Germany (a bunch of...) : 155g ( # 3 60x xxx , 3 554 xxx , 3 555 xxx )

Some sold over time, now I use only one "Germany" and one "Canada" that two Cron IV 35mm give same performance and are as strong as can be a lens of that age.

After on, I've read somewhere that the "color" of the front ring near "id ring" can be a good indication of "plastic" or "not so plastic" Summicron-M 35mm IV .

• Like 4