Noct 50 F0.95 or 50 SL??

Donzo98

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Question for you guys...

I have both... and been toying with the idea of selling the Noct.

I love the 50 SL... such crazy good IQ @ 1.4.

The Noct is special... no doubt, but requires a fair bit of post processing to get the images to look the way I want.

For those of you that own both... which would you sell first??

I don't need to sell either... but when I think of how  much money is wrapped up in 50's... it seems insane :)

I have both, and the dealer I use had a buyer wanting it - I just couldn't quite bring myself to sell it.  On the SL, it's a more compact alternative to the Summilux (no purple fringing), and I like it on the Monochrom ...

Edited by IkarusJohn

I have both, and the dealer I use had a buyer wanting it - I just couldn't quite bring myself to sell it. On the SL, it's a more compact alternative to the Summilux (no purple fringing), and I like it on the Monochrom ...

That’s funny... I’m in the same boat. I have a few people who want it. I just can’t seem to be able to pull the trigger either.

• Like 1

Must be a Nocti thing - if you survive the first year or two it becomes harder to sell despite rational arguments :)

I have a similar issue, and will try to keep both if I can, there is other stuff that I will rid of.

Agree that the Nocti shines on the Monochrome and it has a special look if you get tings right

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I also have both of these lenses and the 1.4/50mm Summilux-M. I know about asking this question to yourself. However, I think Fedro is right, "it must be a Nocti thing". As good as the 50SL-lux is, and it is amazing, once you fall for that Noctilux glow you can never give it up--at least I cannot. Things will get even more complicated when the 2/50 Summicron-SL is released. If its size and IQ is consistent with that of the 2/90 Summicron--SL, that lens will be pretty irresistible to me. I'm quite sure I did not answer your question, or perhaps maybe I did. If you don't need to sell one, keep them both. They are two very different experiences and looks. Good luck!!! Cheers--lt

• Like 1

I'm not a 50mm user. I do not have the SL50 or the M50lux. I'm a 35mm guy, so I have the M35lux and am waiting for the SL35 to arrive. But I do own the M50Noc.95.

Strong CA and not totally sharp makes it a poor overall lens, but at fully open the bokeh is just creamy and subject kept slightly dreamy makes it a cool portrait lens which the SL50 cannot match. Just my humble opinion.

Btw I also love my sL75 as a sharp & contrasty portrait lens which is the total opposite of what my Noctilux is about.

Some Chitoro wouuld be welcome change after too much meat & potato.

Edited by sillbeers15

If it's a money thing, the question would be: what you're going to do with the money that you get when you sell one? If you just put it on your savings account, you'll lose more money and pay tax. 

I'd keep both lenses if I were you. The only thing they have in common is the focal length. 

• Like 1

I once had a Nocti which I used on an M.

For me I want to use the lens not just for static subjects. And I want to be quick if it is important to catch the moment. Therefore besides rendering and everything else AF is a major advantage for such a lens.

I now use a APo-Summicron on the M and a SL50SUmmilux on the SL.

I would allways prefer the native SL 50mm lens when using the SL-camera because AF, and the optical quality is excellent as well.

Edited by tom0511

I can't help you because I use only use M lenses on my SL. I have become quite addicted to the SL and M lens combination and especially my new 21 and 0.95 Nocti. The Nocti is my main lens on the SL. No way I could separate myself from it. Good luck with your choice.

Edited by 6bit